• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Retro: Tucson and Nogales, Arizona, Thursday, April 4, 1968

Source: Arizona Daily Star

Stations:
4 KVOA-TV Tucson (NBC)
6 KUAT-TV Tucson (NET)
9 KGUN Tucson (ABC)
11 KZAZ Nogales (Independent)
13 KOLD-TV Tucson (CBS)

MORNING
5:50
13 Farm, Ranch Roundup

6:00
13 Sunrise Semester

6:30
13 CBS Morning News with Joseph Benti

6:55
4 Reportaje de Noticias
13 State News

7:00
4 Today (Hugh Downs and Barbara Walters were still hosting)
13 Captain Kangaroo

7:25
9 Thought for the Day

7:30
9 Marshal KGUN

8:00
4 Snap Judgment (Ed McMahon game show)
9 Romper Room (Jane Harrison leads the version seen in Tucson)
13 Candid Camera (rerun with Allen Funt and Durward Kirby)

8:25
4 NBC News (Nancy Dickerson)

8:30
4 Concentration
9 This Morning (Dick Cavett’s guests are Rex Reed, Dana Valery, Ruby Dee and Ossie Davis)
13 The Beverly Hillbillies

9:00
4 Personality (Larry Blyden game show)
13 Andy of Mayberry

9:30
4 Hollywood Squares (Peter Marshall game show)
13 The Dick Van Dyke Show

10:00
4 Jeopardy! (Art Fleming game show)
9 Bewitched
13 Love of Life

10:25
13 CBS News

10:30
4 Eye Guess (Bill Cullen game show)
9 Treasure Isle (John Bartholomew Tucker game show)
13 Search for Tomorrow

10:45
13 The Guiding Light

11:00
4 News (Dick Meyer and Sue Green anchor)
9 Dream House (Mike Darrow game show)
13 Password

11:30
4 Let’s Make a Deal
9 Wedding Party (Alan Hamel game show)
11 From The Border (Nogales-based talk show hosted by Oscar Stevens)
13 As The World Turns

AFTERNOON
12:00
4 Days of our Lives
9 The Newlywed Game (Bob Eubanks’ meal ticket)
13 Love Is a Many-Splendored Thing

12:30
4 The Doctors
9 The Baby Game (Richard Hayes game show)
13 Art Linkletter’s House Party (guest is Theodora Van Runkle, the costume designer for the then-hit movie Bonnie & Clyde)

12:55
9 The Children’s Doctor (Dr. Lendon Smith)

1:00
4 Another World
9 General Hospital
13 To Tell The Truth (Bud Collyer hosted for five more months after this broadcast)

1:25
13 CBS Midday News with Douglas Edwards

1:30
4 You Don’t Say (Tom Kennedy game show)
9 Dark Shadows
13 The Edge of Night

2:00
4 The Match Game (Gene Rayburn game show)
9 The Afternoon Movie (Broadway, 1942 mystery, with Janet Blair and Pat O’Brien)
13 The Secret Storm

2:30
4 Movie (Magic Fire, 1951 musical, with Yvonne de Carlo)
11 Telecinema (telenovelas)
13 The Mike Douglas Show (Betty Hughes, wife of the Governor of New Jersey, is guest host; guests are Victor Buono and singers Earl Wrightson and Lois Hunt)

3:30
11 The Pioneers (reruns of “Death Valley Days”)

4:00
9 The Dating Game (Jim Lange game show)
11 The Danny Thomas Show (Thomas co-owned the station at the time)
13 The Merv Griffin Show (Steve Lawrence subs for Merv; guests include Robert Goulet, Brock Peters, Vince Edwards, Joan Rivers and Corbett Monica)

4:30
4 Girl Talk (one of Virginia Graham’s guests is “disc jockey Sally Jessy” – I assume this is Ms. Raphael)
9 ABC Evening News with Bob Young
11 Uncle Bob’s Cartoons (Bob Love was the emcee)

It was at 5:01 P.M. Arizona Time that Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. was shot in Memphis; he was pronounced dead 64 minutes later. The first of the network’s news bulletins about the assassination aired in the next half hour.

5:00
4 Reports
9 News on Nine

5:30
4 The Huntley-Brinkley Report
9 Divorce Court
11 Discotheque (teen dance show hosted by Peter Huntington May)
13 CBS Evening News with Walter Cronkite

5:45
6 Perspective (repeat of an hour-long news analysis program)

EVENING
6:00
4/13 News
9 Adventure
11 McHale’s Navy

4 The Reluctant Dragon (special Kukla, Fran & Ollie adaptation of Kenneth Grahame’s tale)
9 The Second Hundred Years
11 Gilligan’s Island
13 Cimarron Strip (guest star is Peter Kastner)

6:45
6 Art Studio

7:00
6 What’s New (grizzly bears, mountain lions, the orbit of The Moon and Thai folk music)
9 The Flying Nun
11 Stage Eleven (The Three Sisters, 1956 adaptation of the Chekhov novel, starring Sandy Dennis, Kim Stanley, Geraldine Page, Shelley Winters and Kevin McCarthy)

4 Adam-12 (the pilot episode)
6 Shelter from Radiation (civil defense special)
9 Bewitched

4 Ironside (Dwayne Hickman and David Carradine guest)
6 The French Chef (Julia Child demonstrates soufflé and Hollandaise sauce recipes)
9 California Girl (Sally Field special)
13 The CBS Thursday Night Movie (One Man’s Way, 1964 biography of Norman Vincent Peale starring Don Murray, Diana Hyland and William Windom)

8:30
6 The Written Word (Dr. Frank Baxter demonstrates a model of a 1500 printing press)

4 The Dean Martin Show (guests are Billy DeWolfe, Vince Edwards, Morgana King, Linda Bennett, The Kids Next Door and comedians Colvin & Wilder)
6 Your Right to Say It
9 The Joe Pyne Show
11 The Gypsy Rose Lee Show

9:30
6 The Marijuana Question (University of Arizona special)
11 The Texan

10:00
4/9/13 News
6 Campus News
11 Command Performance (repeat of The Three Sisters)

10:15
4 The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson (the East Coast feed, joined in progress for only 45 minutes; I’m guessing that for years Tucson didn’t get Johnny’s monologue or characters)

10:30
9 The Joey Bishop Show (guests are Wayne Newton, Eva Gabor, Pete Barbutti and Don Knotts)
13 Perry Mason (“The Case of the Corpse”)

11:00
4 Movie (Port Sinister, 1952 science fiction story starring James Warren and Lynne Roberts)

11:30
13 Late Show (Alexander’s Ragtime Band, the 1938 Irving Berlin musical starring Tyrone Power and Alice Faye; followed by a newscast)

9 KGUN Tucson (ABC)

11:30 AM Wedding Party (Alan Hamel hosts)

I didn't know that he hosted this. The only game show that I know of that he hosted was The Anniversary Game in which one of the models, Suzanne Somers, would later become his wife.

11 KZAZ Nogales (Ind.)

4:00 PM The Danny Thomas Show (Danny Thomas co-owned the station at the time)

When did they start using the title "Make Room For Daddy" (the 1956-1962 episodes) for syndication? I probably assume that it was when "Make Room For Granddaddy" first premiered in 1970 to avoid confusion with the reruns but again I'm not sure.

Braves2005 said:
9 KGUN Tucson (ABC)

11:30 AM Wedding Party (Alan Hamel hosts)

I didn't know that he hosted this. The only game show that I know of that he hosted was The Anniversary Game in which one of the models, Suzanne Somers, would later become his wife.

11 KZAZ Nogales (Ind.)

4:00 PM The Danny Thomas Show (Danny Thomas co-owned the station at the time)

When did they start using the title "Make Room For Daddy" (the 1956-1962 episodes) for syndication? I probably assume that it was when "Make Room For Granddaddy" first premiered in 1970 to avoid confusion with the reruns but again I'm not sure.

If you saw my posts on New York City TV listings for this date:
http://boards.radio-info.com/smf/index.php?topic=188264.0 (NYC VHF's)
http://boards.radio-info.com/smf/index.php?topic=188266.0 (UHF's and Connecticut TV)
. . . you'll find that WOR-TV aired the Danny Thomas episodes under the Make Room for Daddy heading (a late 1962 episode, B.T.W., was on that date). Presumably it was the Arizona Daily Star that used The Danny Thomas Show title. As for Mr. Hamel - I mentioned that little fact about him regarding that show, that it was an early game-show hosting gig; Anniversary Game was his next show.

Ultimajock said:
5:30
11 Discotheque (teen dance show hosted by Peter Huntington May)

Peter Huntington May was a DJ (8 PM-midnight) on KIKX 580 at the time; he replaced
original host (KIKX DJ) Jack Mitchell when Mitchell left the market.

4 The Reluctant Dragon (special Kukla, Fran & Ollie adaptation of Kenneth Grahame’s tale)
4 The Dean Martin Show (guests are Billy DeWolfe, Vince Edwards, Morgana King, Linda Bennett, The Kids Next Door
and comedians Colvin & Wilder)

Not sure about Adam-12 at 7:30 (probably the 9:30/8:30 Dragnet timeslot), but the
other three prime time shows appear to be a week late, when you compare them to
the NYC broadcast schedule (link referrred to by wbhist).

4 The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson (the East Coast feed, joined in progress for only 45 minutes;
I’m guessing that for years Tucson didn’t get Johnny’s monologue or characters)

You are correct, sir! Channel 4 would roll the Tonight Show open (recorded at 9:15),
then just about when Ed tosses it to Johnny they'd cut to the network feed and pick up
wherever the show was in progress at 10:16 or so (12:16 ET).

oldiesfan6479 said:
Ultimajock said:
4 The Dean Martin Show (guests are Billy DeWolfe, Vince Edwards, Morgana King, Linda Bennett, The Kids Next Door
and comedians Colvin & Wilder)

Not sure about Adam-12 at 7:30 (probably the 9:30/8:30 Dragnet timeslot), but the
other three prime time shows appear to be a week late, when you compare them to
the NYC broadcast schedule (link referrred to by wbhist).
...the Kukla, Fran & Ollie special is also not pre-empting Daniel Boone in New York's listings, either. Might KVOA have been getting kinnies and videotapes from NBC because of the time zone problems? And/or the Arizona Daily Star (and Tucson Citizen, which used the same information) getting outdated info?...

oldiesfan6479 said:
Ultimajock said:
4 The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson (the East Coast feed, joined in progress for only 45 minutes;
I’m guessing that for years Tucson didn’t get Johnny’s monologue or characters)

You are correct, sir! Channel 4 would roll the Tonight Show open (recorded at 9:15),
then just about when Ed tosses it to Johnny they'd cut to the network feed and pick up
wherever the show was in progress at 10:16 or so (12:16 ET).
...in the listings I posted a few weeks back for http://boards.radio-info.com/smf/index.php?topic=184619.0 9 February 1961, I noticed that both KVAR/12 Mesa and KVOA-TV went late to Jack Paar's version of Tonight as well (the last hour in Phoenix, the last 45 minutes in Tucson). When did 12 and 4 start running the whole show? And, in Tucson's case, did it make the showing of the entire Joey Bishop Show on KGUN/9 any stronger in the local ratings?...

Ultimajock said:
...the Kukla, Fran & Ollie special is also not pre-empting Daniel Boone in New York's listings, either. Might KVOA have been
getting kinnies and videotapes from NBC because of the time zone problems?

KVOA's prime time schedule in the mid- and late 1960s was a combination of same night
live net, tape delay (typically a week late), and film print delay (sometimes two weeks).
A few shows were aired on different nights.

Ultimajock said:
...in the listings I posted a few weeks back...I noticed that both KVAR/12 Mesa and KVOA-TV went late to Jack Paar's version
of Tonight as well (the last hour in Phoenix, the last 45 minutes in Tucson). When did 12 and 4 start running the whole show?
And, in Tucson's case, did it make the showing of the entire Joey Bishop Show on KGUN/9 any stronger in the local ratings?...

By late 1963 (the 11/22/63 listings as an example), KTAR-TV 12 Mesa was listing Tonight
in full from 10:30 PM-midnight. I don't know however if it was same night or a night late.

By the late 1960s, I'm pretty sure KTAR-TV was airing it same night in full. Sometime
around 1970-71, KVOA-TV established a microwave link with KTAR-TV so the Phoenix
station could feed "in pattern" prime time to Tucson each evening. This is the type of
link that was already in place between the ABC and CBS affils in Phoenix and Tucson.

The Tucson CBS station (KOLD-TV) finally got its own Telco line circa 1977 and started
doing its own delays; I don't recall a date for the separation of the ABC and NBC stations,
however NBC started a Mountain zone feed around 1985.

And I don't think anyone yet has made mention of the news event that preempted all evening programming that evening. This was the evening that Martin Luther King was murdered in Memphis.

Charles1 said:
And I don't think anyone yet has made mention of the news event that preempted all evening programming that evening. This was the evening that Martin Luther King was murdered in Memphis.
...I suggest you have another look between the 4:30 and 5:00 listings :-\ ...

Ultimajock said:
Charles1 said:
...I suggest you have another look between the 4:30 and 5:00 listings :-\ ...

Mea culpa

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom