• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Regional Mexican formats

e-dawg

Star Participant
I cannot understand why regional mexican format is so popular among hispanic communities in the United States. Regional Mexican music (Banda, Corritos, Nortena) are crap and low-class music. Plus, their music deals with misogynly, drug cartels, and mexican gangs. It much worse that gansta rap. A lot of people from southern Mexico and the urban areas of Mexico I.E. Guardajara, Mexico City, and even in Monterrey hate that kind of music. Why is so popular in this country?

Most of the people emigrating to the US are lower class. If they had it any good in Mexico, why would they be leaving? It's the same reason reggaetón is so big in New York City and Orlando.

Even in Mexico, these bands are very popular. They rake in massive amounts of dough.

So, if this format is go great why is it not on the air in Greensboro or Charlotte on a Sanchez station. I am not a Hispanic expert so I can only speculat. Earlier it was reported that Norberto Sanchez did not have any professional broadcaters around him and in the long run that may be good. However, He has paid millions for crap stations and is in way deep in Charlotte and Greensboro. Pitty for a person with his vision should surrond himself with broadcast professionals who could giuide him and keep in on track.

e-dawg said:
I cannot understand why regional mexican format is so popular among hispanic communities in the United States.

Simple: it gets better ratings in markets where the Hispanic population is predominantly Mexican than any other format.

Regional Mexican music (Banda, Corritos, Nortena) are crap and low-class music.

That's the same incorrect stereotype as we used to hear about country. Ranchera, norteña, banda (the components of Regional Mexican) are, collectively, working class music.

Oh, and "corridos" are story songs. They go back to the time of the Revolución, where the songs told stories of the war, the battles and the people.

Plus, their music deals with misogynly, drug cartels, and mexican gangs.

No, most of the music does not deal with that. The songs deal with love and jobs and family and life. A very few (most of which most radio stations in the US don't play and which are prohibited by law in Mexico). Some very good songs do deal with the drug trade, because that is a fact of life... but the majority, the vast majority, don't.

It much worse that gansta rap.

And you are bilingual and know Mexican colloquialisms? How would you think that they lyrics to songs like "Arboles de la Barranca" or "Mujeres Divinas" are "worse than" anything?

For examples of the variety and beauty of much of regional Mexican music, go to...

http://www.davidgleason.com/hispanicformatsregional.htm

...where the format is explained and there are even song clips you can listen to.

A lot of people from southern Mexico and the urban areas of Mexico I.E. Guardajara, Mexico City, and even in Monterrey hate that kind of music.

That is just not true. In Mexico City, the three top regional Mexican stations (called "grupera" or "group" music in Mexico) have about a 30 share. No other single format has half that. In Guadalajara and Monterrey, the share is even higher. Going farther away, in San Salvador, El Salvador, the #1 station is Que Buena, which plays regional Mexican.

Not every person likes every kind of music... in the big Mexican cities there are pop stations of several kinds (with Spanish language songs, with English ones or with a blend) and rock stations (almost all songs in English) and AC ones (either language or both) or oldies (of several styles) and, of course, many more talk formats and variants than in the US. But the format with the most listeners in all market sizes is grupera.

Why is so popular in this country?
[/quote]

As has been posted, the listeners of the AC and pop stations tend to be better off socioeconomically, and they don't migrate. So the bulk of immigrants from Mexico to the US are regional music fans.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom