• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Best AAA Imaging?

Primitive

Inactive
Inactive User
I'm brand new to AAA, and I'm going to be asked to image a AAA station from scratch. I have been listening to a few stations, but none of the imaging really jumps out at me.

Can anyone suggest a station that has AAA imaging nailed down that I can listen and learn from?

Primitive said:
I'm brand new to AAA, and I'm going to be asked to image a AAA station from scratch. I have been listening to a few stations, but none of the imaging really jumps out at me.

Can anyone suggest a station that has AAA imaging nailed down that I can listen and learn from?

Glad you asked....

http://www.1071thepeak.com/

"World Class Rock for New York's Backyard"

While the phrase "World Class Rock" is kind of old the rest of their imaging, liners, and sweepers are on the money. IMHO 107.1 The Peak is the absolute standard bearer for what a AAA format should sound like.
You gotta listen for at least 4-5 hours to get the true flavor. But focus this listening time on Monday thru Friday not necessarily today (Sunday).

PS: Without giving up too much unless you care to, what market or region of the USA are you going to do this in? And much luck to you!

Primitive said:

Three of the best regarded AAAs in the country are WXRT in Chicago, KBCO in Boulder, and KINK in Portland. I know 'XRT in Chicago (where I live) is currently without a proper creative services director so they might not be a good reference point for imaging at the moment. KBCO is a station I haven't streamed lately so I can't comment on their quality. But KINK is coming back strong as they rebuild their brand which definitely makes them worth a listen. (Full disclosure: I am their male voice-of-the-station currently. I recommend simply because I've been listening to them a lot lately over the internet and have heard what they sound like now.)

My experience writing, producing, and creating imaging for a variety of adult formats has led me to believe that a station needs an approachable personality to come through loud and clear. It's not just about pretty voices. The writing has to be strong and carry the necessary attitude. Generic positioning statements are easy to tune out. The important thing is to engage the listener in whatever way possible: heartfelt sentiments, clever turns of phrase, imaginative use of sound, humor, cultural references, found sound. I've used all of the above, and it's always made my P. D.s very happy. I'd be glad to discuss this further if you're interested.

I would argue that imaging on the old-line stations like KBCO and WXRT is boring. IMHO, most Triple A stations take themselves and the format far too seriously, with imaging voices that could get away with talking in a library.

I run a much-younger (25-45) modern rock based AAA. We've done very well now in our 6th year with an energetic imaging that would fit on a Hot AC. In fact, we took down the Alt/Rock station in town.

The music is energetic and fun, so why should your imaging be appropriate for a funeral? One thing we did avoid: the traditional "announcer/radio imaging" voices. We got 5 or 6 folks with some radio experience but who are polished sounding to do our liners and imaging.

Just to be clear: I know from listening to WXRT that they don't use a traditional imaging voice (or voices). All their imaging is voiced by the various members of the airstaff. I won't argue whether it's boring or not because that can be a subjective opinion. But it's certainly not boring because they have the traditional "announcer/radio imaging" voices.

DudeFan said:
I run a much-younger (25-45) modern rock based AAA. We've done very well now in our 6th year with an energetic imaging that would fit on a Hot AC. In fact, we took down the Alt/Rock station in town.

Sounds extremely similar to WZGC/Atlanta (Dave-FM), so I'd definitely listen to their imagining - I want to say they're the second most popular AAA station in the country (next to the station in Denver)

Whatever you do...pleeze, no synth "bullets" and "zaps" and "were in it for the music" trite phraseology! If you need music imaging, try to match the overall sound of your station's music texture. I agree with Bill about communicating a human feeling. After all, humans are (you hope!) listening. Let us know when to click on a link so we can hear it!

BillCochran said:
Primitive said:

Three of the best regarded AAAs in the country are WXRT in Chicago, KBCO in Boulder, and KINK in Portland. I know 'XRT in Chicago (where I live) is currently without a proper creative services director so they might not be a good reference point for imaging at the moment. KBCO is a station I haven't streamed lately so I can't comment on their quality. But KINK is coming back strong as they rebuild their brand which definitely makes them worth a listen. (Full disclosure: I am their male voice-of-the-station currently. I recommend simply because I've been listening to them a lot lately over the internet and have heard what they sound like now.)

My experience writing, producing, and creating imaging for a variety of adult formats has led me to believe that a station needs an approachable personality to come through loud and clear. It's not just about pretty voices. The writing has to be strong and carry the necessary attitude. Generic positioning statements are easy to tune out. The important thing is to engage the listener in whatever way possible: heartfelt sentiments, clever turns of phrase, imaginative use of sound, humor, cultural references, found sound. I've used all of the above, and it's always made my P. D.s very happy. I'd be glad to discuss this further if you're interested.

XRT doesn't have much for imaging, but they do have one hell of a playlist. What a great station! I can't believe CBS hasn't screwed them up. IMO, this is what AAA should sound like. Very strong rock/classic rock/alternative approach, and not the least bit wimpy sounding (which tends to ruin a lot of AAA stations). Very quirky, unpredictable playlist that actually works.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom