• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KJR-FM

They say they are oldies - playing 60's and 70's music. HOWEVER, especially overnight hours, i hear quit a bit of early 80's thrown in. even as late as 1985 last night. whats up with that?

People have asked this on their facebook page. They say that they play music 60's, 70's, and 80's

That is the same garbage they pulled before. Eventually it became more 80s and more album rock. They switched back to oldies for a reason. Why not stay true to 60s and 70s only. I still listen to KMCQ while we have it. The music mix is much better and a lot more fun. They play the occasional 80s record as well but they play a lot of pretty obscure oldies to make up for it.

forgot to mention, I wasn't really complaining, cuz i like the 80's, just was a wondering about that, and thanks for the heads up with the facebook page, didnt know they had one (or forgot) lol.

Well, as I recall after they killed KBTB (95.7 The Beat) in 2002, they went back to KJR-FM playing "Super Hits of The '60s and '70s. No doo-wop oldies, no unfamiliar hard rock", as if any other Seattle station back then was playing either The Chords or Cannibal Corpse.

Well, as time went on, the '80s snuck in, to a point it was getting not only noticeable, but irritating as well when flanked with the same "Super Hits of the '60s and '70s" sweepers. This board was quite abuzz about that (it was also noted that the '80s playlist extended all the way to "The End Of The Innocence" Don Henley from 1989, as far as you could get from '60s and '70s as they come.)

One group that also noticed were the lovable sound anarchists Negativland. This guy was a member of the band and had a voice polished enough to have EASILY passed for any KJR-FM jock. At a local NAB convention later that year, they set up a little transmitter and ran this:

http://www.diymedia.net/audio/mp3kjrjam.htm

One member of the KJR-FM staff was at this convention and damned near went BERSERK when he heard this.......

Does anyone know who the new morning team at KJR FM is going to be? They start April 1st. Please let it be anyone but Pat Cashman. That would be one cruel April Fools joke.

The 80's rant sounded good for about 30sec, and somebody has way too much time on their hands to tape a 2-way feed, but of course I must to, I gave it a listen. At least the Point was playing some cool 80's hits that don't get played anymore.

The part about the heavy (fat) guy with crap on his pants made my day!

Bongwater said:
Well, as I recall after they killed KBTB (95.7 The Beat) in 2002, they went back to KJR-FM playing "Super Hits of The '60s and '70s. No doo-wop oldies, no unfamiliar hard rock", as if any other Seattle station back then was playing either The Chords or Cannibal Corpse.
lol! I had forgotten about that! I also remember KZOK saying something like "no disco, no rap, and no music by the group Bread".

I dunno, dunno. After KXRX became Young Country, everything about it was wrong (DJ echo chambers, Def Leppard/Shania Twain remixes, Beau Roberts playing Alan Jackson, etc.) I pretty much gave up on 96.5 MHz. KYPT was lacking in most of the New Wave/Power Pop music from the early '80s that shaped the sound of '80s pop. When KRQI started, it had possibilities (none taken) and it was interesting for the first few weeks. Then it went to hell. Jack is Jack. Yawn.

KJAQ pays it's bills maybe and it's a bean counter's wet dream. But that's all it is. Good luck to it.

Click sounds like JACK-FM's hopelessly square hipster wannabe cousin who can't get enough of "Kids" MGMT and two songs from Mumford & Sons in a sea of OVERPLAYED crap from Muse, Adele, Florence & The Machine, Broken Bells, etc. while oblivious to the fact there's MUCH more out there too. And somehow, as more hipster than thou as 98.9 MHz is these days (not many commercial alternative stations play The Decemberists), they never heard of Ted Leo & The Pharmacists, Elliott Smith, Cat Power or Yo La Tengo. And still think Maroon 5 is cool.

And thinks "Pumped Up Kicks" Foster The People is NEW (the song came out to radio last year) and should have a running time of about :60 (It's just over 4 minutes - What gives with THAT? Start to finish, it's a kickass tune....)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLK7hrRijes

(So here's ol' Bong going off about HIS musical preferences. Well WHO DOESN'T in 2011?)

F--k me. Get to know THEM. The AUDIENCE.

You may be surprised.....

Bongwater said:

Several people on this board have been saying that to you. If I recall, your responses were to bash people for being too corporate.

Your problem Larry, is that you refuse to accept what the audience wants.

Be careful what you wish for.

Bongwater said:
I dunno, dunno. After KXRX became Young Country, everything about it was wrong (DJ echo chambers, Def Leppard/Shania Twain remixes, Beau Roberts playing Alan Jackson, etc.) I pretty much gave up on 96.5 MHz. KYPT was lacking in most of the New Wave/Power Pop music from the early '80s that shaped the sound of '80s pop. When KRQI started, it had possibilities (none taken) and it was interesting for the first few weeks. Then it went to hell. Jack is Jack. Yawn.

KJAQ pays it's bills maybe and it's a bean counter's wet dream. But that's all it is. Good luck to it.

Click sounds like JACK-FM's hopelessly square hipster wannabe cousin who can't get enough of "Kids" MGMT and two songs from Mumford & Sons in a sea of OVERPLAYED crap from Muse, Adele, Florence & The Machine, Broken Bells, etc. while oblivious to the fact there's MUCH more out there too. And somehow, as more hipster than thou as 98.9 MHz is these days (not many commercial alternative stations play The Decemberists), they never heard of Ted Leo & The Pharmacists, Elliott Smith, Cat Power or Yo La Tengo. And still think Maroon 5 is cool.

And thinks "Pumped Up Kicks" Foster The People is NEW (the song came out to radio last year) and should have a running time of about :60 (It's just over 4 minutes - What gives with THAT? Start to finish, it's a kickass tune....)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLK7hrRijes

(So here's ol' Bong going off about HIS musical preferences. Well WHO DOESN'T in 2011?)

Well it is Web Radio but if you want some bands out of the mainstream check out KXFU.net you get Indie music with some attitude...

I have a feeling that 98.9 is nowhere near a finished product yet. So I am willing to give it time...some of the stuff is pretty decent- but geeeeez they sure repeat a lot! Let's see where they are musically in a couple of months. And those 45 to 70 second song teasers are just obnoxious.

IndigoCoyote said:
I have a feeling that 98.9 is nowhere near a finished product yet. So I am willing to give it time...some of the stuff is pretty decent- but geeeeez they sure repeat a lot! Let's see where they are musically in a couple of months. And those 45 to 70 second song teasers are just obnoxious.

It is different - for Seattle. It actually reminds me of the old Peak in Spokane. And it has a button on my car and web radios (On my home radio in Bellingham, 98.9 MHz is a mess and CFCP "98.9 Jet FM" flies in. Often.)

But the repetition on Click is just bizarre. when one song comes up 4 times in six hours straight ("Kids" MGMT did that one night on Click. It's not even a new song. "Kids" came out in 2008.) I got pretty tired of it all by the fourth hour and nearly passed out from boredom by the sixth.

I have come to accept the basic idea of Click 98.9, even like it because it isn't weighed down in old grunge like KNDD. But there are so many repeats, they might as well call themselves Stuck 98.9.

Just sayin'.

Not asking the question to be mean ... but any chance the music rotation on Click is because inexperienced person doing the rotations? We're all assuming it's by design -- I know nothing of the internals @ Sandusky anymore (as in did everyone get blown out when the Jazz station got buried to the quiet and dulcet tones of an alto sax solo?) Movin' was initially programmed, I believe, externally by Allan Burns. Wonder if this situation is similar?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom