• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Stations Playing Christmas Music through New Year's Eve/Day

marce90

Inactive
Inactive User
I am wondering if there will be any radio stations continuing to play wall-to-wall Christmas music until at least December 31st?

I know that WLIF in Baltimore has done this in recent years, though they initially said they would return to AC on 12/27 this year. I like to continue hearing this kind of music for a few more days, but not after New Year's.

You could probably count on one hand how many stations may do it. I don't mind a few Christmas songs after Christmas day is over, but not continuous.

I've heard a few christmas songs on K-Love sprinkled in after christmas. however I'm not a big fan of some of the contempary christian versions of christmas. they usually are done with a loud praise band and a singer that is whispering or croak-throating while eating the microphone.

I remember years ago BBN went wall-to-wall Christmas all throughout December.

They seemed to have their drama "Unshackled" even on Christmas Eve.

It's December 26th, which stations are still playing Christmas music? I know KCAX 1220/K251BZ is playing til it returns to Classic hits on January 1st, and WLIT did this last year.

WJMJ 88.9 West Hartford, CT, is all-Christmas during the daytime through the 12 days of Christmas. The station is owned by the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Hartford and usually plays a combination of oldies and standards during the day -- with soft-sell theology sprinkled in occasionally -- and a variety of programming at night, including classical (Beethoven Network) overnight. The Christmas selections are generally middle-of-the-road. I tuned in for a little while earlier today and heard songs by Chicago and Amy Grant as well as Burl Ives' "Holly Jolly Christmas."

I haven't found out what stations are doing it, but I just heard a song about New Year's Day and there are several that I have heard on the all-Christmas stations.

I haven't found out what stations are doing it, but I just heard a song about New Year's Day and there are several that I have heard on the all-Christmas stations.

What was the New Year's Day song? Remember, Dan Fogelberg's "Same Old Lang Syne" is about Christmas Eve, not New Year's, despite its use of the phrase.

What was the New Year's Day song? Remember, Dan Fogelberg's "Same Old Lang Syne" is about Christmas Eve, not New Year's, despite its use of the phrase.
Whatever it was, I think Rod Stewart was the singer. I didn't think it was "What Are You Doing New Year's Day" because I would have probably just said that.

I've heard 'What Are You Doing New Year's Day' on quite a few occasions during the holidays. And Auld Lang Syne has a Christmas version, too. The lyrics are changed, 'in sweet accord we thank the lord,' etc.
It will be nice come 12/26 - regular music, regular programming! It's been a rather stressful Christmas in the family and hopefully once we reach Wednesday, everything will calm down ;-)

Are there any stations in New England who stay all Christmas even after it's over?

Are there any stations in New England who stay all Christmas even after it's over?

Not all-Christmas, but noncommercial WJMJ West Hartford, CT, operated by the Catholic Archdiocese of Hartford, mixes Christmas songs, secular and religions, in with its usual mix of softer AC and oldies and soft-sell Catholic dogma.

Not all-Christmas, but noncommercial WJMJ West Hartford, CT, operated by the Catholic Archdiocese of Hartford, mixes Christmas songs, secular and religions, in with its usual mix of softer AC and oldies and soft-sell Catholic dogma.

I wonder if that's the only station that's staying.

I wonder if that's the only station that's staying.

The 12 days starting with Christmas are pretty important to some denominations. Hispanic Catholics in these parts (mostly Puerto Rican and Dominican) make a huge deal over Three Kings Day (Epiphany), which this year falls on Jan. 6. Maybe Spanish-language stations are still playing Christmas music, as well as other Church-affiliated English-language stations.

On SiriusXM's Symphony Hall channel, classical works often associated with Christmas pop up year-round, but not nearly as frequently as they do in December. The exception is Tchaikovsky's "Nutcracker," of which at least excerpts seem to get played a couple of times a week no matter what the season. But then, playing bits of Handel's "Messiah" in July isn't the same as putting "All I Want for Christmas Is You" back in the playlist.

The 12 days starting with Christmas are pretty important to some denominations. Hispanic Catholics in these parts (mostly Puerto Rican and Dominican) make a huge deal over Three Kings Day (Epiphany), which this year falls on Jan. 6. Maybe Spanish-language stations are still playing Christmas music, as well as other Church-affiliated English-language stations.

On SiriusXM's Symphony Hall channel, classical works often associated with Christmas pop up year-round, but not nearly as frequently as they do in December. The exception is Tchaikovsky's "Nutcracker," of which at least excerpts seem to get played a couple of times a week no matter what the season. But then, playing bits of Handel's "Messiah" in July isn't the same as putting "All I Want for Christmas Is You" back in the playlist.

I was wrong, and WWLI is another station that happens to be playing Christmas music.

WMAG Greensboro NC did not stay around this year.

I'm grateful for iHeart Christmas Classics. I didn't stick with them this year because of the repetition but I'll try them again now.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom