Spokane's River 96.9 Goes All Christmas..what will their new format be???
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spokane's River 96.9 Goes All Christmas..what will their new format be???

Spokane's River 96.9 Goes All Christmas..what will their new format be???

It happened on Monday, "Spokane's River" 96.9 the adult alternative formatted station has gone all Christmas. They did this two years ago when they made the switch from "Wired 969" Urban CHR, to "Coyote Country"--which flip-flopped frequencies with 99.9 a few months later. I've heard the KXLY group GM does not like Christmas music.....so I would say this would mean a format change for 96.9. Wonder what it will be this time? I have my own thoughts on what would really work, but I'm a competitor....so I will keep those thoughts to myself.

Hmmmm...it won't be country that we know for sure. I doubt they will stick with what they've been doing as it hasn't been successful. So---a possible simulcast of 920/KXLY and their News-Talk format? With the exception of KPBX/KSFC and KPBC the Spokane Public Radio/NPR stations, there really is NO News Talk on FM. That would certantly save money. Will be interesting to see what 96.6 Morphs into this time. It was owned by Tom Read and did religious programming and talk, then the KXLY group bought it---traded 970am to Tom and cash for 96.9---then it became Star at 96.9, which became Wired 96.9, and then Coyote Country and now The River. Haven't seen a station change formats/images that often in quite awhile.

So....anyone's thoughts as to what will be happening here????

8-)

jj

Re: Spokane's River 96.9 Goes All Christmas..what will their new format be???

The spokaneradionews.com site had this to say:

The River Jumps The Gun

Spokane's River 96.9 (KEZE) as of Monday November 15, 2010, has switched to an All Christmas format. Why 10 days early? The last time The River aired All-Christmas it was actually Classy 99. The last time Christmas music played on 96.9 it was the ending of Wired 96.9.

Will The River befall the same fate as Wired? Its hard to say, several attempts to contact Greg Mills became futile. The Christmas music itself is eclectic, and the artist selection is interesting, but ultimately somewhat boring. The jockless music churns on 24/7.

I listened for a few minutes today on my way to do my show on 98.1/KISS-FM and they played very off the wall Christmas music....instrumentals and to be honest....extremely boring. IF they think this will win, they had best think again. It is odd, they are calling it "Christmas On The River," and "Christmas On Spokane's River," which continues to promote them as "The River." That frequency has much potential.....but appears to be almost cursed......the KXLY group has 929/ZZU, 945/Rock 94 and a half, 969/The River, 999 Coyote Country and 3AM's 700/KXLX ESPN Sports, 920/KXLY News-Talk, 1080/KVNI oldies out of Coeur D'Alene. So where will the format wheel stop this time on 96.9??????

Quote Originally Posted by radiojjh
    I listened for a few minutes today on my way to do my show on 98.1/KISS-FM and they played very off the wall Christmas music....instrumentals and to be honest....extremely boring. IF they think this will win, they had best think again. It is odd, they are calling it "Christmas On The River," and "Christmas On Spokane's River," which continues to promote them as "The River." That frequency has much potential.....but appears to be almost cursed......the KXLY group has 929/ZZU, 945/Rock 94 and a half, 969/The River, 999 Coyote Country and 3AM's 700/KXLX ESPN Sports, 920/KXLY News-Talk, 1080/KVNI oldies out of Coeur D'Alene. So where will the format wheel stop this time on 96.9??????

Well JJ, I'd sit down and offer you my best guess on what the new format will be in three paragraphs. But by the time I was finished writing it, 96.9 MHz will have already changed formats....TWICE.

I simply give up on 96.9.....
    To the person who stole my antidepressants; I hope you're happy now.

chokesman-review

Here's one; give it up and simulcast KXLY 920 on 96.9

Music doesn't seem to work. Why not? AM is dying, breathe some life into the 920 folks by bringing them into the land of stereo. No more overhead either, they'd be enhancing an existing franchise plus get some new exposure outside of the aging demos.

Newsradio 920 and 96.9.....

Damn I should get paid for this kinda stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Sandlin
    Here's one; give it up and simulcast KXLY 920 on 96.9

Music doesn't seem to work. Why not? AM is dying, breathe some life into the 920 folks by bringing them into the land of stereo. No more overhead either, they'd be enhancing an existing franchise plus get some new exposure outside of the aging demos.

Newsradio 920 and 96.9.....

Damn I should get paid for this kinda stuff...
    Well, if they can swap KEZE and KXLY-FM's calls, it's doable.
    To the person who stole my antidepressants; I hope you're happy now.

How about switch the format back to AC and called it "Classy 96.9".

So whats the deal with them now?? I recently was listening and after about 2 months of Christmas Music, they are once again "Spokane's River" with the same AAA format. Kinda weird considering they are like the lowest rated station in Spokane.

I really expected a change, but apparently not. I would have almost put money on their simulcasting KXLY-AM's news talk at 96.9. Interesting to see what happens with the new year looming on the horizon.....with radio you just never know these days.....half of the fun is making predictions and seeing IF they come to be...

JJ

chokesman-review

Who knows, perhaps they are waiting until the next book is out and to see how the Xmas music fared. Looks like if the date I'm seeing is correct for the numbers to be out, it will be Jan. 13th. Then they will know if they have slid below the land of a 2
    share.

I would be shocked if their numbers changed dramatically. KISC has pretty much been the dominant holiday station from what I would hear in businesses etc. Additionally, AC to holiday is an easy smooth transition. AAA to holiday, what a way to piss your AAA and rock audience off. More like chasing them off. Dumb. No wonder we all thought it was stunting. No one in their right mind would flip a rock station to holiday then go back to rock. Audience killer. Can you imagine Rock 94 1/2 doing that? ;D

I'll be glad when "Spokane's River" is done. It is fun to talk about its demise and to speculate what the folks do in the land of Morgan Murphy will do, however in reality I feel disappointment. What could've been an extremely unique and cool station got choked to death by not being unique enough. It tried to be too incorporate too much of already existing stations in the market and in the end offered listeners no compelling reason to listen.

What a waste.

It could be saved, but would take patience, some freedom and a new PD along with proper expectations. The gang at Boone street don't have it in them for that I am afraid.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast