• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

1540 ZNS Nassau Off The Air Temporarily

Gregg

Star Participant
According to the ZNS website, the clear channel station in the Bahamas is off the air due to thieves stealing the copper wires around the transmitter site. The webiste says ZNS programming is being heard on an FM station, Power 104.5.

http://www.znsbahamas.com/#clip=fli/122359-ZNSLIVE

I've heard stories about thieves taking the expensive copper wires from the fields around AM radio transmitters in the past, although on an island nation as small as the Bahamas, where are they going to sell the stuff?

I suppose folks in the Southeast will be able to pick up KXEL Waterloo Iowa, the other 50,000 watt station that shares 1540 with ZNS. WDCD Albany NY is also 50,000 watts full-time but so directional away from both Iowa and the Bahamas that it probably won't be helped much while ZNS repairs its transmitter site. Having worked at 1540 in Albany briefly, I know KXEL can be heard within 30 or so miles south and west of Albany many nights.

Gregg
[email protected]

I can report that ZNS-1540 is "alive and well". I was on a vacation cruise along the Northeastern Cuban coast on the Island Princess on Thursday, February 17 listening to them on my antique Sony Walkman. They were the ONLY English language station I was receiving at mid-day in that area. ZNS-1540 has a tremendous daytime signal throughout much of the Caribbean Sea.

Glad to hear that...I've been wondering if they were back on.

Back in December 2009 I was visiting relatives in Mayagüez, Puerto Rico for the Christmas/New Year season.

At night I could hear ZNS like a local.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom