• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

What You Say Can Affect Radio Stations

I know what it is like to read comments here while the station I work for goes through a transition. As a matter of fact, I once had the opportunity to experience things from the other side.

One station was involved in a negotiation with two clients. What was said on this board could have had an affect on how this turned out even though the comments were not entirely correct. Amid all the stress of working the deals, the comments heightened the anxiety. Why? Because of sensitive information not all the details could be released to all parties. All in all, everything worked out fine for everyone but the situation was pretty touch and go at times. This made me realize that what is said can change outcomes for a station in both good and bad ways.

I know one person at one station that got a visit from the FCC that may have been based on someone's comments because the reason for the visit was the very subject matter for the posting. While there was no violation for the matter discussed in the post, the way FCC rules are written, the Inspector has a great deal of leeway in determining if a violation might exist. So a visit may include looking at everything and chances are they can find something simply based on two differing interpretations of the rules. I find the FCC to be professional and helpful in dealing with folks, but they do have complete authority. You might wonder what I mean. Here is an example: One has to wear a seatbelt when driving. At one point can you unlock the seatbelt? Is it when you stop the car, turn off the engine or anytime you are in the vehicle? Your opinion might be different than the officer that stops you. Heard about the guy who was drunk sitting in his parked car with the AC on that was arrested for Driving Under the Influence? The law was interpreted to mean that if the engine was on, it was DUI but if the motor was off, it was okay. See what I mean? So, the words found on blogs can affect the stations (and it did when a friend was at one station).

I'm not trying to point fingers or slam anyone but if you are like me, you might have not thought about the real power of those words. So say what you want but remember those words can have a direct effect.

When it comes to music lets just say that if some radio stations, especially those with old family money, would do the right thing there might not be people who say anything. There would be no need for a radio board.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom