• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Opinions - True Health for Radio

SirRoxalot said:
Cassettes, CDs, and MP3 players have all been “the death of radio”. Cable TV music channels were “the death of radio”. Satellite radio was “the death of radio”. The biggest killer of radio is BAD PROGRAMMING. The loss of immediacy, and the resulting loss of the one-to-one relationship with the listener are the two biggest obstacles to good programming.

Death usually isn't instantaneous. Death usually is a long process. That's what radio is going through. It's been a 25 year decline that began as music taste became more diversified, the number of stations increased, the number of content options increased, and all of the things you listed above. Each of those things took their toll and contributed to the decline. Any time a station goes from a 12 share to a 4 share because of increased market competition, it hurts the medium. Those kinds of declines all happened long before any changes in programming or staffing. The declines leads to lower revenues, which adds up over years, leading to lower salaries, lower staffing, and everything else. In other words, this isn't an instant thing. Just like traditional death, it begins with a slowing down of energy and cognitive activities. One thing leads to another. And once the process begins, there's no pill or therapy one can take that will change the inevitable. All one can do is perhaps forestall it a bit. That's what radio has been able to do with various things over the last 15 years.

Good programming isn't going to change the fact that people now have unlimited sources for content, and quite often the quality isn't the deciding factor to their use. So what you might consider "bad programming," appears to be the exact attraction for most people when it comes to growth media...or non-traditional media. So just because a radio station spends lots of money on staff, employes the best programmers, uses all the traditional tools to attracting audience doesn't mean it will result in more listeners, more money, or a rebirth of the medium. As I always say, the best quality sushi restaurant isn't going to get me to eat raw fish. I don't care how great the quality is. It's not what I want. You can't put the toothpaste back into the tube. All you can do is slow down the decline.

SirRoxalot said:
Huh? You said that PUR never approached 25%. YOUR OWN NUMBERS show LA AM Drive at 24.9. You show several dayparts at 24+. That’s not "approaching 25% in a daypart"?

OK, lets pick nits. The highest market I could find was close to 25. Most were in the 21-23 range, nowhere close to 25, on mornings. And most were much closer to 20.

I never said "25% 6A - 7P".

6 AM to 7 PM has been the buying daypart for years and years and years. I am trying to look at reality as opposed to looking at only part of the issue.

And those are the markets YOU chose – not one of dozens of others that are STILL “radio mad” to this day.

Nope, I looked at PURs across many, many markets. In fact, I can get them for a couple of hundred markets via some of Duncan's books, but they ended in the early 2000's. In general, PURs got lower the smaller the market... ones like Scranton and Allentown are down below 20 on 6 A to 7 P going back 20 years.

The problem is that those who are “radio mad” are getting older and older. The younger generation isn’t getting on board because there’s damn little content for them to get excited about.

Radio is "push" and listeners are "pull" so one way AM and FM will decline... the opportunities are in menu based on demand listening. That won't happen as long as people with the "bring back the fun DJs" are anywhere in radio.

And it’s not because of technology. FB demographics show that the largest segment of their audience is 35-54, and 55+ is the fastest growing segment.

Exactly. There are so many more things to do today, that radio has to adapt and, eventually, turn off the AM and FM transmitters.

[/quote]So, if cume is basically flat, the problem is that listeners aren’t finding what they want to hear on the radio. They’re still sampling it, but they’re not staying with it because the programming is LACKING. [/quote]

It's hard to cume over 94 to 95. When the BBM did a non-user study, they found the 5% was composed of people who could not listen... sick, travelling, etc. ANd TSL is down because there are tons of things that we can do besides radio. When I was a kid, I had no other alternative.

Technology has been around since people bought 45s in the ‘60s.

I never went walking or running with a 45 player.

Cassettes, CDs, and MP3 players have all been “the death of radio”.

MP3 players are a definite competitor. The others are inflexible and cumbersome. I have thousands of songs on my iPhone, and can play any of dozens of playlists...

Cable TV music channels were “the death of radio”.

Horrible selection... useless, and most people don't waste the hundreds of watts needed to run a tv to hear music.

Satellite radio was “the death of radio”. The biggest killer of radio is BAD PROGRAMMING. The loss of immediacy, and the resulting loss of the one-to-one relationship with the listener are the two biggest obstacles to good programming.

THe problem is delivery, and delivery options.

JohnJax said:
Radio frequently doesn't make choices based on actual behavior but rather perceived opinion. Let me explain - actual behavior is money spent both in record sales and concerts and even downloads or Youtube plays. This demonstrates preferences.

That's exactly right, which is why MacArthur Park is such a bad example. Richard Harris had no previous hits, nor did he have any follow-ups. He was a one-hit wonder. This was a song that was driven by the success of the writer and the label. Not by audience behavior.

Manilow fans are their own breed. Same with Neil Diamond fans. Why is he not in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame? Because Jann Wenner & Rolling Stone magazine never liked him. They are more likely to put the New York Dolls in than one of the greatest writers and performers of the last century.

JohnJax said:
That's right. Songs we may or may not like are really personal and a reason the old radio dial to today's click of a mouse or a push of a button on our car's steering wheel get quite a work out. When independent thinkers literally all over the country went with their gut and tried something no one else was doing, the impacts felt were far more reaching than in just was experienced at one particular radio station. There were times it literally changed the direction of music itself, created a culture shift and literally gave the people a national music.

While we are waxing nostalgic, that very WABC PD and his team who were the so-called music experts actually voted down the Beatles as something viable just 4 years prior to "MacArthur Park" fame. Now fast-forward to today and transform that decision, even call it that power to say the late Rick Sklar represented a major corporation such as Clear Channel and word was out on the street that he wasn't going with a certain singer or group. Like sheep, many others follow but my friends potentially look at how much could be lost. Luckily for us there wasn't a concentration of power in the few. The Beatles caught on because there were those who took a chance and used their skills that many once had in radio to make that call. Without the Beatles, there would not have been a British Invasion. Regardless of how you may feel of that time and place, I take the position that music on both sides of the Atlantic for a decade was just one incredible creative wave. And yes, MacArthur Park was right up there too along with songs we rarely hear because a value judgement of the powerful deems them unworthy of airplay.

It wouldn't be the first time those in the know position themselves to know better than the public. IMHO, radio is so out of touch. There are exceptions and while I can't listen to everything, I place WCBS-FM up there for at least putting fear aside and occasionally play cuts from artists long considered taboo by the experts - like Barry Manilow or heaven's forbid - even music before that line of demarcation some genius came up with that nothing will ever be heard from again if it was popular before the mid 60's. Today, many of us have our iPods loaded with lots of music variety and no lines of demarcation. The few running things just don't get it and as I keep saying, turn on the radio and while there is always an exception like CBS-FM, most radio is very much out of touch. And despite all the stats that say this or that, radio is a bore and we have the few to thank for that.

Except that, in your response to me, you're misconstruing what I was getting at--which isn't so much a matter of radio being out of touch now, but that the seeds of that out-of-touchness were in evidence even then. At least in hindsight. Maybe not at the dawn of the Beatles era; but certainly by the dawn of the "MacArthur Park" era.

It isn't that the music hasn't aged well, or is supposedly "taboo" or "unworthy of airplay"; it's that the Top 40ish radio environment which "made" the music hasn't aged well. Indeed, whether it's as period curios or as "oh wows" or as musical thrift-store chic, such music and artists have actually quasi-transcended said environment--it may be off the entrails of the past, true, but I'd argue that Barry Manilow is actually better off today, market-wise and rep-wise, than 30+ years ago when he was hot on the dial and hot on the charts. Ditto with Neil Diamond; ditto even with (posthumously) Richard Harris.

That's why I raised Pink Floyd by comparison; that's where the whole "independent gut feeling" thing was really going, and in a way that more accurately foretells the present--at least, the "post-Rick Sklar" present. You seem to not realize; even then, looking at the big picture, what Rick Sklar represented was the leisure-suited squares on the wrong side of history. By today's standards, his system wasn't even doing the music it was playing any great favours. It's like looking nostalgically back to the days when food sweeteners contained cancer-causing carcinogens (or maybe further back to the pre-supermarket era when groceries were over-the-counter rather than self-serve).

Look in the mirror--as someone imbued with and within the radio industry, the problem might be with yourself, and you don't realize it. And even when it comes to what passes for the "squaresville" phenomena of today: as Susan Boyle proves, even it doesn't require the Rick Sklar thing anymore to catch fire, and Gawd Bless...

NB: today, at a big-box store, I caught a listen of "Stars On 45". Now if you want somewhat later (1981) proof of the hicksville/squaresville nature of "pop-radio-generated breakthroughs", there it is. Get real: when it's a matter of where the cultural game was really going, "Stars On 45" was truly proof of senile dementia on a system's part...

The string subject is about opinions and why I consider them healthy for business. Radio is not a unique business to find it's market share diminish or to have to literally buck a public's changing perception of it as well. When we can all look back and look at the roads taken for the business to compete, to stay viable and literally having to reinvent itself to be something the public really needs and wants. I can only hope, the industry is guided by looking at lots of options and the exploring of lots of ideas. Often, history is something I embrace because we can learn a good deal from it. History doesn't necessarily always repeat itself but there are so many lessons learned. Successful business does embrace lessons learned.

There is something else at play and it has little to do with disagreement with the opinions of this poster or for anyone else and it's anger. I see it everywhere and radio-info is full of it. I am not wholier than thou as many of my own posts have been angry coming out of years of frustration about the state of radio. But my goodness, when we are having a cow over "MacArthur Park," it just makes me wonder if the natives are even more restless than I originally believed.

My approach all along if you read is music is all about personal taste. Using the MacArthur Park example, when that song was introduced as a new song, it could have flopped as many so called hot prospects did and will continue to do. Argue with me all you want but whatever you may feel of that song or Stars on 45 or even Sugar, Sugar, the reality is the songs were purchased. Those who bought the tune no doubt liked it and that's why they were hits. The motives behind why the songs were added in the first place takes a back seat to the behavior of real people I was attempting to explain - to no avail.

Like it or not, the history of Top 40 music went through periods that reflected life times. The PDs of the day were like air traffic controlers just guiding all these songs up and down the charts based on lots of factors. History has proven some second-guessed the public, others looked mainly at sales but in the end you can't argue with actual sales. So I stand by example as proving those empowered to make music decisions had to rely on their judgement but in the end, it's the publlc who decides.

As far as content, do radio stations just go through the motions because their share is no longer double digits but a 3? It's been said many times beyond this string that listeners have many many alternatives. One of those alternatives is the internet. My station of choice is 1000 miles from where I live because they put forth the effort, there is variety in the music, there's personality and really it just makes me feel good. Listeners will seek out what they like. When I first listened to internet radio, I never heard spots - now I do. There's another revenue source. I believe those stations who do out forth the effort and who embrace technology and not run from it, will have the best opportunity to survive. There's many decisions that go into effective and ineffective ways to operate. I prefer the former, especially if they come from a think-tank.

I can take my licks for those of you who disagree. But there's no need to make it personal. When I look in the mirror, I'm not ashamed of what I see but I would only know that. I have a love of radio as virtually all of you do too but anger accomplishes very little.

TheBigA said:
SirRoxalot said:
Cassettes, CDs, and MP3 players have all been “the death of radio”. Cable TV music channels were “the death of radio”. Satellite radio was “the death of radio”. The biggest killer of radio is BAD PROGRAMMING. The loss of immediacy, and the resulting loss of the one-to-one relationship with the listener are the two biggest obstacles to good programming.

Death usually isn't instantaneous. Death usually is a long process. That's what radio is going through. It's been a 25 year decline that began as music taste became more diversified, the number of stations increased, the number of content options increased, and all of the things you listed above. Each of those things took their toll and contributed to the decline. Any time a station goes from a 12 share to a 4 share because of increased market competition, it hurts the medium. Those kinds of declines all happened long before any changes in programming or staffing. The declines leads to lower revenues, which adds up over years, leading to lower salaries, lower staffing, and everything else. In other words, this isn't an instant thing. Just like traditional death, it begins with a slowing down of energy and cognitive activities. One thing leads to another. And once the process begins, there's no pill or therapy one can take that will change the inevitable. All one can do is perhaps forestall it a bit. That's what radio has been able to do with various things over the last 15 years.

Good programming isn't going to change the fact that people now have unlimited sources for content, and quite often the quality isn't the deciding factor to their use. So what you might consider "bad programming," appears to be the exact attraction for most people when it comes to growth media...or non-traditional media. So just because a radio station spends lots of money on staff, employes the best programmers, uses all the traditional tools to attracting audience doesn't mean it will result in more listeners, more money, or a rebirth of the medium. As I always say, the best quality sushi restaurant isn't going to get me to eat raw fish. I don't care how great the quality is. It's not what I want. You can't put the toothpaste back into the tube. All you can do is slow down the decline.

You nailed it, homerun, bullseye. What one person loves the other hates.
Can I hear AMEN brothers and sisters!

JohnJax said:
Like it or not, the history of Top 40 music went through periods that reflected life times. The PDs of the day were like air traffic controlers just guiding all these songs up and down the charts based on lots of factors. History has proven some second-guessed the public, others looked mainly at sales but in the end you can't argue with actual sales. So I stand by example as proving those empowered to make music decisions had to rely on their judgement but in the end, it's the publlc who decides.

I know it can never be researched, but I have always wondered what the influence of "incentives" to play new music really was in the 50's through the 70's. Were songs that would otherwise have stayed sitting on a PDs desk played and pushed because of the dreaded "P" word? Could payola, in fact, have been responsible for exposing new songs and even new trends which would have not gotten attention otherwise?

Of course, today, the record industry, which is ever so much more clueless than most of radio, wants to charge radio to be able to play the songs that until recently they were willing to give "valuable consideration" for to get played.

As far as content, do radio stations just go through the motions because their share is no longer double digits but a 3? It's been said many times beyond this string that listeners have many many alternatives. One of those alternatives is the internet.

There have always been 100 shares, as a share is a percent of those listening to radio. When, using the home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as an example, there were 8 viable signals (all AM, one a daytimer) , stations in the lead all had double digit shares. 100 divided by 8 gives the potential for everyone to have double digits.

Now, that market has nearly 30 signals, and more than a dozen viable commercial FMs, so big shares are 6's and 7's. Mid range shares are 3's. The issue here is not a decline in radio, but more radio choices in every market dividing up the 100 shares.

The broader issue is that ratings have declined, meaning each share represents fewer people as PUR is lower than it once was... and PPM now reduces the PUR by another 40% due to elimination of rounding, etc. And those folks are doing something else with their leisure time... the fact that there are well over 100 million gaming devices in use in the US would be where I would look in addition to the now often mentioned web based entertainment options.

JohnJax said:
My approach all along if you read is music is all about personal taste. Using the MacArthur Park example, when that song was introduced as a new song, it could have flopped as many so called hot prospects did and will continue to do. Argue with me all you want but whatever you may feel of that song or Stars on 45 or even Sugar, Sugar, the reality is the songs were purchased. Those who bought the tune no doubt liked it and that's why they were hits. The motives behind why the songs were added in the first place takes a back seat to the behavior of real people I was attempting to explain - to no avail.

I'm not denying that said songs were purchased--and indeed, as I indicated in invoking Susan Boyle, that principle continues even within a "post-radio" environment. But perhaps my most fundamental point is regarding said "post-radio" environment--and maybe how, by present-day standards, the system you're upholding, that which engendered and rode the likes of "Stars On 45", is actually too quaintly obsolescent to be upheld as a model of how things were and still could be. Again: we're not talking about "bad music" (whatever that means). We're talking about a music-engendering environment that, by today's standards, hasn't worn well at all--and maybe part of it is based upon music that, bad or not, has garnered a reputation for "badness" even among a big swath of the "real people" you're invoking.

And what this is most pertinent to is to the types of "real people" who once (in reality or by way of transposition) might have gone along with the radio-based "Stars On 45" system, but wouldn't anymore because, well...technology, and culture, has advanced too far. Now, it doesn't mean they couldn't look back upon such fare for a nostalgia/retro/camp/oh-wow/musical-archaeological kick today; but it doesn't mean they'd seek the outright resucitation of the system that "made" such fare--it's a relic. A cheesy, yesteryear relic that'd only make sense among backwoods yokels anymore...

The real question is "Why are people leaving the simplest program delivery device ever invented for more complicated devices that require far more user input and configuration time?" Simply because today's radio programming isn't as attractive to them.

We hear the same reasons over and over for why people don't listen to the radio. "Too much repetition." "Too many interruptions." "Too many commercials." Yet, how does radio typically respond? We ignore the bleeding of listeners overall to fight for the shrinking pool of listeners who'll put up with the things they don't like because radio is so darn convenient.

Repetition of songs is an issue. I know that you'll come back with "music tests" blah-blah-blah, but music testing is subjective, and generally targeted at the existing audience, not the potential audience.

"Too many interruptions" led to the reduction in the role of local personalities - the best of which weren't interruptions, but augmented the music. Liners are interruptions. Relatable information is a positive part of programming.

"Too many commercials" often means "too many dull, uninteresting, badly written and badly produced commercials". So, how does radio respond - by cutting creative and production departments.

We have met the enemy, gentlemen, and they are US. Cume is an indication of how big the advantage radio has in simplicity and ubiquitous access. Too much of today's programming throws away those advantages.

SirRoxalot said:
The real question is "Why are people leaving the simplest program delivery device ever invented for more complicated devices that require far more user input and configuration time?" Simply because today's radio programming isn't as attractive to them.

Not exactly. If you study what they do, they want customization features that aren't available from traditional radio. They want fewer interruptions. They want less talk and more music. You see it as value added, or augmented content, but the customers don't agree. The services they pay for don't have DJs or local content. And no one is asking satellite or Pandora to add DJs or local content. They know that adding local content will lead to commercials and interruptions. Ironically, the music isn't a problem. Repetition is fine, as long as it's the songs they want repeated.

However, for news, talk, and sports, there is no better service that traditional radio. They don't complain about commercials, interruptions, or the hosts on talk or sports radio. That's why they listen. It's really very simple and very obvious. They tune in to music radio for music, not talk. And they tune in to talk radio for talk. The customers understand radio better than we give them credit for. We're cluttering up a very simple service with a lot of unnecessary elements because we THINK the audience wants it. But they don't. So shut up and play the music. If you feel you HAVE to talk, change formats.

This goes back to what JohnJax was talking about. He wants diversity. But when it comes to music, the public wants the ultimate in diversity: They want a radio station that only plays what they want when they want it. They want to make the music decisions, not have it made for them. And that's why they're leaving traditional radio. They want control. They don't see "configuration time" as a negative. They're used to doing that already with most of the products they already own. And configuration time is becoming easier. So we're a couple years away from all of the time and trouble of the internet becoming as easy and simple as traditional radio.

The one-note samba continues with thinking that all of radio's problems would be solved by bringing back DJs talking between songs, despite all evidence to the contrary. Even when I was growing up in the 70s, plenty of people prefferred the TM Stereo Rock station. Well if DJs were only allowed to say different things (such as what,?) then people would gladly want DJs talking between songs. The only way to cut repetition is to pad playlists with less popular songs; be they gold that hasn't stood the test of time on library stations, or a combination of low and mid charters and gold on current stations. I fail to see how an audience that wants, and finds what it wants when it wants is going to be attracted to listening to hours on end of everyone else's "oh wows" to hear one of theirs. You really think people are going to cancel weather alerts on their phone because the DJ gives weather every half hour? I can understand wanting to stay a DJ. I'm not convinced audiences either care about DJs (or even could be made to care by the DJ talking about different stuff, or the mere fact that he or she has a butt in a chair downtown). Just afraid it's talk or music, not both

Thus, the one-note samba from Gr8oldies and TheBigA continues. Please do fill us in on your backgrounds, so we can judge the value of your "expertise". TM Stereo Rock got its ass kicked in most markets. TM Stereo Rock ain't gonna grow the audience, just as Jack failed to grow the audience, and syndication is failing to grow the audience.

Audiences attribute "interruptions" to jocks, whether it's jocks talking, or another of the endless pre-recorded liners. Studies say that audiences are tired of generic liners, positioning statement, and other station-centric crap, not listener-centric information and entertainment content.

The largest corporate operators of radio stations in this country have been uniformly shown to be fallible. Don't you think that it's time that they should consider alternatives to their modus operandi? Radio not only survived, but thrived during previous recessions. What's the difference now? The emphasis on top-down management in an industry that derives 80+% of its revenue from local advertisers.

There's a simple answer. Let local management manage their local product for their local audience. If the local management isn't hitting realistic targets, get new managers who can. There are too many suck-ups and flunkies who are too far from the street in the corporate structure.

Every time a new owner has come in, we've heard "We're from corporate, and we're here to help." When you hear those words, hold onto your shorts, boys. Anybody out there gotten their money's worth from corporate?

SirRoxalot said:
Thus, the one-note samba from Gr8oldies and TheBigA continues. Please do fill us in on your backgrounds, so we can judge the value of your "expertise".

Maybe you don't understand the concept, but this is a message board. To the best of my knowledge, you've never posted your resume either. Don't bother because I don't care, and I don't plan on posting mine. You choose not to believe me, that's fine. But I am not here to be judged by you. You don't agree with me? Fine. I don't care.

My post was not about "corporate" anything. It was about radio. Radio stations regardless of ownership are realizing that audiences have changed. Their expectations of radio has changed. They understand this, and their radio stations have changed to recognize that time have changed. But not you. You spend all your time focusing on hating management. To you, it's all about owners and upper management. Just spend 1/5th of your time listening to the audience. Watch what THEY do. Forget about corporate for five minutes.

SirRoxalot said:
The largest corporate operators of radio stations in this country have been uniformly shown to be fallible. Don't you think that it's time that they should consider alternatives to their modus operandi? Radio not only survived, but thrived during previous recessions. What's the difference now? The emphasis on top-down management in an industry that derives 80+% of its revenue from local advertisers.

So who or what has been shown to be infallible during the current economic conditions?

I hear a lot of complaints about the conglomerate operators. I can sing a chorus or two of that song myself just for entertainment value. Tell me who the winners are today? What is the format that is setting the woods on fire today. Not during the last depression. Today.

As for "Dj" patter, there was a time I enjoyed listening to airchecks. It's not really the case anymore. Here I will admit to being in some middle of the road agreement with previous posters. What I once thought was real clever stuff - gems 100% of the time - coming out of the mouths of a lot of the great ones, in reality today sounds forced, contrived and very distracting. What was good then, certainly is not good now. I believe in balance. Over the last 10 years or so, I found that many whose occupation was broadcasting didn't know how to communicate or to relate. It does take talent to inject personality while saying something relevant in very short order. I do hear some good folks doing music radio but I'm afraid they are the exception. Some may say, you get what you pay for. I don't know. Some of the biggest high paid personalities were not able to make the transition to a new way of radio. Certainly, I can't listen to everything but that was just my perception of what I did hear.

In the background, people such as a PD and GM, were required to make decisions about the non-programming content as well. It didn't always work and the reasons why were probably many but I wonder if coaching went out the window or if everything wound up becoming dog eat dog that a talent's success moved far down the list of responsibilities.

Still, I believe in balance. While the average listener doesn't want to hear a pucker, they do want to be informed when they need to be. Radio is a big draw in that respect. To circle back to the subject string and opinions and really decisions, think back on the sudden passing of Michael Jackson. Where I live, one of the CHR was live and local - the other was voicetracked/syndicated. The live and local went wall to wall with MJ coverage. The other was acting like nothing happened. Do you suppose there were impacts and choices being made for listeners who were driving home form work and wanted to hear the latest news? I'm sure some listeners were let down by one station and pulled in by the other. That's worth a ton of effective advertising by just doing the right thing.

Look, automation/syndication/voicetracking are all ways of doing business today. But one station in the case I made was asleep at the switch. You would think, something would have been done, even if nationally to get something going on the air to compete. Perhaps one decision - the GM was involved. Maybe the GM was on vacation and no one stepped up with a contrary opinion. This is another aspect of radio today - the outward appearence of just going through the motions and not giving a crap. How can we say this type of thinking is healthy for the business of radio.

JohnJax said:
As for "Dj" patter, there was a time I enjoyed listening to airchecks. It's not really the case anymore. Here I will admit to being in some middle of the road agreement with previous posters. What I once thought was real clever stuff - gems 100% of the time - coming out of the mouths of a lot of the great ones, in reality today sounds forced, contrived and very distracting. What was good then, certainly is not good now.

Or at least, not good for today--and the same can be said about a lot of the commercial pitches contained within. Though as raw time capsules, they can still be electrifying--but I think that's one of the unintended consequences of the Web's happy role as an aircheck museum over the past decade and a half: back when we went by simple happy memories, it all seemed eternally fresh, but actually listening to them, uh, not so much. In celebrating the past, a museum can remind us of how and why the past has become history.

Where exactly is that study that says listeners consider liners and positioning statements as interruptions, but would hang on every word of a DJ who said different stuff? Rox I'm aware you believe all of radio's problems would be solved by DJs who did not promote the station but talked about..well you'd have to tell me what they'd talk about that would have offices stopping work so people could hang on to every word the DJ said. I worked in an office in the 80s with the top rated CHR in town on in the background and no one paid attention to a word the DJ said. I don't justify anyone having been asleep at the switch when Michael Jackson died, but most people found out from friends by text, Twitter and Facebook (yeah I know if radio only had cool DJs people wouldn't use those things...right). I agree with John and that the aircheck sites are great places to visit. By the way, does anyone remember how many live reads the old top 40 jocks did per hour?

Please show me where I insisted that we go back to the kind of radio that was done in the '70s. I've repeatedly advocated a return to radio that relates to LISTENERS. Obviously, there's a dearth of people in this discussion that have any credible experience or skill in that field. Since you don't understand it, or possess the skill, you denigrate it.

Nobody who's successful today does the same radio show that they did 30 years ago, or 20 years ago, or even 10 years ago. But, the most successful air personalities are the ones that are able to successfully relate to listeners. Mostly, they're on morning shows or talk stations because they have more freedom to do what they do best.

Bombarding audiences with repetitious crap sets them up to ignore ANY spoken word - including the commercials that generate the dollars that keep a station alive. If you condition listeners to ignore everything but the music - which they frequently consider boring and repetitious anyway - then you're going to have a very difficult time being effective for your advertisers.

But, hey, carry on with the current programming. And wring your hands while the audience seeks out alternatives to what you're presenting. I haven't heard a single alternative other than "hang on until the older generation dies off, and watch radio fade into the sunset". When was the last time a talent under the age of 30 emerged from the pack? Hell, before consolidation, the hot jocks and programmers were kids who figured out how to connect with a younger audience. Now, there's precious little new talent out there because the opportunities just don't exist.

SirRoxalot said:
Obviously, there's a dearth of people in this discussion that have any credible experience or skill in that field. Since you don't understand it, or possess the skill, you denigrate it.

Wow...so people who don't agree with you have no experience or skills. That's a way to win friends and influence people. You should run for Congress.

I've kind of been lurking on this thread the past week or so--just trying to figure out what the subject was (it's been wandering a bit). Am I right that it revolves around "relatability?" And/or whether "relatability" even matters if--as assumed by some--listeners only want music?

Maybe that's what has made it so confusing: two overlapping topics--each of which can easily support its own separate forum.

But I was intrigued by JohnJax's comment regarding how stations treated the subject of Michael Jackson's passing.

Let me suggest that there was legitimate hesitation on the part of many media outfits the day it happened. Legitimate? Yeah. For one thing, he was considered by many--regardless of legal actions--to be a child molestor, and thus a pariah. The only time he was mentioned on most radio stations was as the punch line to a joke. Secondly, his time in the musical spotlight was 25 to 40 years' past--he was from "mom's generation," and was perceived to be completely off the radar screen for anyone under age 40.

CHR? Hardly. AC? Hell, no one was playing his music--it was "child molestor music."

I'll admit that I was as surprised as anyone with the outpouring of emotion that his death elicited.

I left the decision on how our stations should address the subject up to the PDs--and they seemed to read the tea leaves appropriately. Our AC stations played the songs... passed-along the news stories--but we didn't stop everything and turn the stations into All-Michael All-The-Time. We have no CHRs.

Our Rock and Country stations may have briefly mentioned it in passing, but generally ignored the whole thing.

Was that wrong? Formats--and the interests of the listeners to those formats--do come into play, don't they?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom