• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Boring Morning Radio.

JoJo Walker said:
Mike is a libral (spelling), but so was Larson.
Mark Larsen turned liberal? ???

I've obviously been gone from Tampa Bay for way too long. He was a Clinton-bashing libertarian back when I lived there.

Pursuit Electronics said:
Honesty though....someone at Clear Channel has to do something with 570 WHNZ. That station is run by Gordon Byrd and how many times can you listen to the A/C report or the Herbal Doctor. Granted these people pay to be on the air for their time slot, but it certainly cannot outweigh that station being off the air. It has to be a financial disgrace and liability to Clear Channel.

It's 1250 WHNZ, not 570.
Gordon Byrd has nothing to do with the content. Sales people sell it and they air it.
It's all about the money. Clear Channel doesn't care if the people like it or not. They don't care if the ratings are low or not. They don't care if the client gets results or not. They truly don't care. Sadly to say, they have clients sign a long term contract to air a show, so they are "stuck".

Re: Boring Morning Radio with Mike Reeves and JoJo Walker

I tuned in yesterday morning to give it a try. Oh my God, what were they talking about? I have no clue. There was no content .. what a shame. Mike Reeves used to be good when WRBQ, but now he tries to say something funny and it is useless. Seriously, a talk radio format is so not meant to be for Mike Reeves and JoJo Walker. It was totally blah, blah, blah. Can the radio station afford to get someone or something better? I can't even imagine how difficult it must be for the sales dept to make some revenue from it. Maybe Mike Reeves should get back in his gig with BayNews 9 commenting in restaurants or something. But, talk radio for him and JoJo is a bad choice.

Sorry guys.

As I said 2 years ago, with all the VT'ing and stations running huge blocks with no jock at all, it's a shame FM music radio can't find a place for Mike and JoJo. How about Mike to PM drive on Magic , Ann to 7-12 with a local music for lovers show, and Delilah overnights or just gone. Jo Jo to middays on the Eagle or the Point.

Based on political polls and voting results, etc., it would appear that approximately 25-30% of the general public is what you might call hard-core conservative. These people, plus perhaps another 10% from other points of view, probably form the core audience for talk radio.

This would seem to support comments made above that the talk radio format, while very successful among its core audience, has probably capped out, and is not likely to increase share. Since liberals (and probably most middle-of-the-roaders) don't seem to be inclined to listen to talk radio, station programmers are challenged to figure out other types of formats that pick up these non-listeners.

dwtpa97 said:
Based on political polls and voting results, etc., it would appear that approximately 25-30% of the general public is what you might call hard-core conservative. These people, plus perhaps another 10% from other points of view, probably form the core audience for talk radio.

This would seem to support comments made above that the talk radio format, while very successful among its core audience, has probably capped out, and is not likely to increase share. Since liberals (and probably most middle-of-the-roaders) don't seem to be inclined to listen to talk radio, station programmers are challenged to figure out other types of formats that pick up these non-listeners.

I am a LibDem and I have no interest in "Liberal Talk' radio or any talk radio. Just give me 50-60's music with lots of "puke" ::)

Is the fact that conservative talk radio does better than liberal talk an outcome because for a long time conservative opinions were not heard on the airwaves? (or in the media in general, for that matter).

When Rush came on the national scene in 1988, FOX news was either non-existant, or a tiny presence on some cable systems. As was pointed out on this and other threads, Lassiter, Lionel, and Marvin were the big local hosts and Larry King was (I think) the only big national talk show. Liberalism was everywhere, and Rush stuck out like welcome relief for those with conservative views (perhaps 40% of the population?).

Today Fox News is the number one cable news channel, and most talk stations are wall-to-wall conservatives. Is it any wonder that talk radio ratings are taking a hit... the pie is being sliced mighty thin, and the number of conservatives really hasn't grown (still about 40%).

As for more political talk in the AM, it will be hard to dislodge 970. Doing something different is what 820 is trying to do, and in my opinion is their only route to success. WOR for many years offered up many non-political talk shows that billed well, even if ratings suffered. Liberal talk is going to have a hard time of it as there is still plenty of liberal media out there (NPR, MSNBC, the St. Pete Times).

Being a radio outsider I certainly don't know nuttin', but I did read that Rick Sklar of WABC radio fame used to cringe when he had to run the Breakfast Club at 10AM, because it ushered out the audience that HOA used to gather in morning drive. What amount of money could it be worth to torpedo ones weekday lineup with brokered programming?

If you are going to break format with inconsistent programming, why not do it in a daring and truly different way? Put on some music that is not available anywhere on FM. Not all day, just a couple of hours with a live jock who can create some buzz around the tunes and the station in general. (Hint: Adult Standards and Hot Jazz Vocals are not played on FM. Think Sirrus's 40's on 4).

SCMcKinney said:
When Rush came on the national scene in 1988, FOX news was either non-existant, or a tiny presence on some cable systems.
Fox News WAS non-existant until 1996. MSNBC came on in July. They came on in October.

Jeff in Sa-ra-so-ta!

badjef said:
SCMcKinney said:
When Rush came on the national scene in 1988, FOX news was either non-existant, or a tiny presence on some cable systems.
Fox News WAS non-existant until 1996. MSNBC came on in July. They came on in October.

Jeff in Sa-ra-so-ta!

Before there was FOX News, there was NET (National Empowerment Television; later renamed America's Voice). NET, when it was on the air, made FOX News look moderate in comparison.

JayR said:
badjef said:
SCMcKinney said:

Jeff in Sa-ra-so-ta!

Before there was FOX News, there was NET (National Empowerment Television; later renamed America's Voice). NET, when it was on the air, made FOX News look moderate in comparison.
NET, as the National Empowerment Television 1993-1996 was a syndication company, should not be confused with the origination of WNET's call letters, which was the forerunner of PBS - National Educational Television, 1962-1969.

Not sure there was a relationship between NET - Paul Wyrich's channel, and America's Talking which was run by Roger Ailes.

Just because both people and companies happen to be Conservative does not mean there is a conspiracy or any other misunderstanding to be taken out of context.

Fox IS moderate, anyway!

P.S. What does this have anything to do with "Boring Morning Radio"?

Jeff in Sa-ra-so-ta!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom