KFRC's annual top 100
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: KFRC's annual top 100

KFRC's annual top 100

Wikipedia currently lists at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KFRC_(defunct)#Annual_top_100 as:

"On new year's eve and new year's day, KFRC would count down the top 100 songs of the past year. Some of the number one songs, by year, were:

1967, Light my Fire, by the Doors.
    1969, Sugar, Sugar, by the Archies.
    1970, (They Long to Be) Close to You, by the Carpenters.
    1971, It's Too Late, by Carole King.
    1976, Silly Love Songs, by Paul McCartney and Wings. "

However, this is all from memory. Can anyone here confirm that this is correct? Can anyone recall their top song from any other years? Thanks. (Anyone can edit wikipedia, so this is subject to correction, and I hope, addition.)

Re: KFRC's annual top 100

I can confirm that any self-respecting Top 40 station in that era "counted down" the Top X hits at the end of the year...the number was usually determined by the station's frequency. I didn't move to the Bay Area until 73, but I remember that KHJ had the Top (or "Boss") 93. KFRC undoubtedly did 100 because 610 is way too many and 61 isn't enough.

It seems ridiculous now, but Sugar,Sugar by the Archies was HUGE in 1969 - I know it was the top hit on the LA stations, so it stands to reason that it was #1 on KFRC too.

Close to You - The Carpenters were also huge. I believe it.

It's Too Latein 1971 is a good bet too - the song was a giant hit, and the Carole King album from which it came - Tapestry - stayed in the Top 100 for album sales for five years.

Editorial comment: If Silly Love Songs was the top hit in 1976, I have further validation for my decision to stop listening to Top 40 radio during the late 70s. A truly treacly song. At least Sugar Sugar was honest bubble gum music, and there were a lot of great rock songs on the Top list in 69.

We need Michael Hagerty to chime in with his encyclopedic knowledge of Top 40 radio and hit songs of that era.

As I recall, Tapestry was on the Top 100 Album Sales for 11 years. There was a photo of Carole King with a birthday cake about it in Billboard.

I unerstand that Milli Vanilli are/were the modern day Archies. Since the Archies lip-synched all of their songs, but yet no one complained. Although I do not believe the Archies ever won and accepted a Grammy!

Quote Originally Posted by 1069_KIFR
    I unerstand that Milli Vanilli are/were the modern day Archies. Since the Archies lip-synched all of their songs, but yet no one complained. Although I do not believe the Archies ever won and accepted a Grammy!
    I don't know if you can make a comparison. The Milli Vanilli controversy happened because they were lip-synching a song in a live show... either televised or in concert...not sure which. As I remember, Ashley Simpson caught grief when she lip-synched on SNL, which always features live singing.

In the 60s through the mid 70s, most second-tier and one-hit-wonder groups "performed" their hits primarily on TV dance party shows - shows like American Bandstand and Shindig! nationally, or any one of hundreds of local dance party shows. In LA in the 60s, there was Shebang! (Casey Kasem), Boss City (Sam Riddle - later the Real Don Steele) and Groovy! (Robert W. Morgan). You'll notice that one word show titles with exclamation points were very popular. There were probably equivalents to these shows in the Bay Area.

Songs on the dance party shows were ALWAYS lip-synched. I remember watching Kenny Rogers (and the First Edition) totally botch the lip-synch of Ruby Don't Take Your Love to Town on Groovy! Kenny totally messed up his vocal...er...lip movements, then just shrugged into the camera half way through the song and stopped even trying.

Variety shows like Ed Sullivan or Hollywood Palace were different - the groups were expected to sing their vocals live.

Couldn't resist. The Hues Corporation lip-synching Rock the Boat on The Real Don Steele Show circa 1974. Followed by Don's Hollywood gossip segment, and Gary Glitter lip-synching. Gotta love it, baby!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeQ5froOHOs

The songs listed above are correct. Bobby Ocean's special hour "KFRC 1966-1986: The Making Of A Classic", which aired in February, 1986 (for KFRC's 20th anniversary as a Top 40), did a "timesweep" of the #1 songs for each of the 20 years...ran a minute or two.

I don't have the ability to play RealAudio on my work computer, otherwise I'd whip up the complete list (Bobby's special is on both Reelradio.com and the Bay Area Radio Museum)...but those songs I remember as being part of it.

As for the Archies and Carpenters...hey, they were hits. KFRC played the hits.

Some perspective: A guy who has a KGB tribute site also has an impressive list of KFRC Big 30 surveys online: http://www.ct30.com/kfrc/kfrc_index.html

Quote Originally Posted by michael hagerty
    The songs listed above are correct. Bobby Ocean's special hour "KFRC 1966-1986: The Making Of A Classic", which aired in February, 1986 (for KFRC's 20th anniversary as a Top 40), did a "timesweep" of the #1 songs for each of the 20 years...ran a minute or two.

I don't have the ability to play RealAudio on my work computer, otherwise I'd whip up the complete list (Bobby's special is on both Reelradio.com and the Bay Area Radio Museum)...but those songs I remember as being part of it.
    Thanks, Michael! The timesweep is at the beginning of the second segment of the show, which is at:
    http://www.sfradiomuseum.com/audio/kfrc/1986/KFRC%20-%20The%20Making%20of%20a%20Classic%20(2).mp3

So, you (and I) are correct about the list above. I'll post the rest here when I've finished typing it out.

Quote Originally Posted by DougKUCI
    [Thanks, Michael! The timesweep is at the beginning of the second segment of the show, which is at:
    http://www.sfradiomuseum.com/audio/kfrc/1986/KFRC%20-%20The%20Making%20of%20a%20Classic%20(2).mp3
    OK, I'll write up the rest later, but their first dozen number one songs, by year, were:

Year Song Arist
    1965 Satisfaction The Rolling Stones
    1966 I'm a Believer The Monkees
    1967 Light my Fire the Doors
    1968 Hey Jude the Beatles
    1969 Sugar, Sugar the Archies
    1970 (They Long to Be) Close to You the Carpenters
    1971 It's Too Late Carole King
    1972 Alone Again Naturally Gilbert O'Sullivan
    1973 Superstitious Stevie Wonder
    1974 Seasons in the Sun Terry Jacks
    1975 Love Will Keep Us Together Captain and Tennille
    1976 Silly Love Songs Paul McCartney and Wings

BTW, there is a great bit at the end of this segment, where KFRC is making their frequency available to ETs. I'm pretty sure the voice was the great Paul Frees (of Boris Badenov fame).

[Thanks, Michael! The timesweep is at the beginning of the second segment of the show, which is at:
    OK, I'll write up the rest later, but their first dozen number one songs, by year, were:

Year Song Arist
    1965 Satisfaction The Rolling Stones
    1966 I'm a Believer The Monkees
    1967 Light my Fire the Doors
    1968 Hey Jude the Beatles
    1969 Sugar, Sugar the Archies
    1970 (They Long to Be) Close to You the Carpenters
    1971 It's Too Late Carole King
    1972 Alone Again Naturally Gilbert O'Sullivan
    1973 Superstitious Stevie Wonder
    1974 Seasons in the Sun Terry Jacks
    1975 Love Will Keep Us Together Captain and Tennille
    1976 Silly Love Songs Paul McCartney and Wings

BTW, there is a great bit at the end of this segment, where KFRC is making their frequency available to ETs. I'm pretty sure the voice was the great Paul Frees (of Boris Badenov fame).
    Thanks for the list. DougKUCI. Again, I have to say thumbs down to hit music in the mid/late 70s. Seasons in the Sun and Silly Love Songs...ugh! As much as people made fun of Captain and Tenille Love Will Keep Us Together was actually a fun and listenable piece of fluff...until the 754th time you heard it. But then they did Muskrat Love...another depressing reminder of the late 70s.

That voice was indeed the great Paul Frees. Aside from doing voice work for Jay Ward (among others) and voice overs on many national campaigns, he lived in Marin County for many years and did a lot of local work in the Bay Area- Marine World/Africa USA, NewsCenter 4 (when KRON was a real TV station), and numerous others...including KFRC, obviously.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast