Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Mea Culpas?

Re: Any Mea Culpas?

"As David pointed out, there is no "thirst for power" involved with any of the corporations that own broadcast facilties. I know personally many of the players that you speak of, and all of them are just trying to do their job; increase shareholder value plus protect and grow the business."

That is utopian rubbish. EGO plays a HUGE role in a lot of business decisions and, yes, some decisions about whether or not to buy or pass on certain clusters WERE ego driven a few years ago.

"Look, if one or two companies want to fire their staff, that makes it easier for the other companies in the market to kick their butts. The goal is to be #1 and give listeners what they want. This is not a one-size-fits-all thing where 15,000 radio stations have all fired their talent and replaced them with syndication. Every market, even the smallest ones, have stations with live air talent. In some cases, it does well. In others, it doesn't matter. If listeners want live & local talent, they can find it in every market, regardless of size."

Super technically speaking you may be correct. But I was in Atlanta a few weeks ago (I don't live there, was there for a wedding) and all day Sunday I heard ZERO live jocks on ANY station. There may be some live jocks there at some times, but not ONE station (FM) had one on Sunday and I spent about 45 minutes surfing the dial looking while driving to the reception. Would have been nice to have some interaction with listeners after the Falcons won their game in my opinion. Two AM stations were live, the sports talker and a religious station which was taking live prayer requests (but not for the Falcons).

"The classic case is the Radio One cluster in Houston. Rather than blame the PPM for the initial poor debut of The Box and Majic in the PPM, Radio One decided to find out if their own stations were, perhaps, less than stellar. Recognizing that the diary tended to register brands rather than precise usage, they realized they had good brands but deficient execution and set about cutting back DJ chatter, reducting talk in music dayparts, shortening talk in morning shows and adding more songs, etc."

They also spent over 300k on marketing from what I have heard through the mill. I know of many examples where you can, at least for a while, market yourself to number one. KCBS did that with the Arrow format in Los Angeles for example. I know. I worked there (at CBS, not in Los Angeles for the station). As soon as the ads stop the ratings dipped.

I think that the point is that we have moved from one imperfect audience measurement tool to another imperfect audience measurement tool. Let's hope that they do better next time, huh?
    Did I forget that <<sarcasm>> tag again?

Quote Originally Posted by radioray
    all day Sunday I heard ZERO live jocks on ANY station.
    It's Sunday. Listening patterns and audience expectations are different on Sunday. That's where stations run specialty programs, not regular programming.

Two AM stations were live, the sports talker and a religious station which was taking live prayer requests (but not for the Falcons).
    I think it's appropriate for the sports station to take calls about the football game. Not the music stations. If I was programming a station in Atlanta, especially one aiming at a largely female demo, I would not break format to discuss a regular season football game. And I don't think prayer requests can help the Falcons.

This isn't meant as an excuse, but I have heard of stations in NFL markets that have received c & d letters from the NFL if they attempt to profit on the NFL and are not connected to the NFL market licensee. That includes contesting and hosting a live post-game show.

"It's Sunday. Listening patterns and audience expectations are different on Sunday. That's where stations run specialty programs, not regular programming."

Yes but ten years ago all these stations would have been live. Now I understand that technically it is now possible to "fake it" (poorly) so stations do. But I do not think the reason this is occurring is anything but the lack of respect for good programming product and an attempt to save money by managers seeking to make their budgets so they get their bonuses. The listener? The future of the station two years from now when the connection with the listener has been frayed? Not his/her concern. He/she is probably a sales guy and wants his/her commision and bonus NOW. Typical of sales people. Sad and short sighted.

"I think it's appropriate for the sports station to take calls about the football game. Not the music stations. If I was programming a station in Atlanta, especially one aiming at a largely female demo, I would not break format to discuss a regular season football game. And I don't think prayer requests can help the Falcons. This isn't meant as an excuse, but I have heard of stations in NFL markets that have received c & d letters from the NFL if they attempt to profit on the NFL and are not connected to the NFL market licensee. That includes contesting and hosting a live post-game show."

I would definitely not do this if I was running a female targeted AC or a format that is designed for "less talk". But I would have a live jock on any rock station taking quick calls before and after the game, or the oldies station (but there isnt one in Atlanta) or a male heavy Urban station.

Yes but ten years ago all these stations would have been live.
    Ten, twenty, and thirty years ago, these stations ran syndicated music shows. Casey Kasem, Dick Clark, Bob Kingsley, Walt Baby Love, and many more. That's what radio stations have been running on Sunday's for years.

Moderator/Co-Administrator

They also spent over 300k on marketing from what I have heard through the mill. I know of many examples where you can, at least for a while, market yourself to number one. KCBS did that with the Arrow format in Los Angeles for example. I know. I worked there (at CBS, not in Los Angeles for the station). As soon as the ads stop the ratings dipped.
    $300 k is a short flight in Houston using TV or boards. And since PPM success for an ethnic station requires getting better TSL out of a limited cume, marketing can only call out to the cume... it can't force TSL (and memory) as it did in the diary survey. The Box and Majic have been very consistent among the first three positions for over a year.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by SirRoxalot
    I think that the point is that we have moved from one imperfect audience measurement tool to another imperfect audience measurement tool. Let's hope that they do better next time, huh?
    Anything short of a census is going to have a margin of error. The smaller the sample, the larger the error. Since radio can't pay for any larger PPM samples, then what we have is as perfect a system as you will ever get. Once Arbitron learns the tricks of the trade for using a survey methodology they had never done before, we'll likely have the best audience measurement tool available.

Proof of the value if the PPM is that the BBM in Canada is using it, and the B>BM is broadcaster owned.
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA

Yes but ten years ago all these stations would have been live.
    Ten, twenty, and thirty years ago, these stations ran syndicated music shows. Casey Kasem, Dick Clark, Bob Kingsley, Walt Baby Love, and many more. That's what radio stations have been running on Sunday's for years.
    And then there was the whole group of shows like the King Biscuit Flour Hour, Dr. Demento, etc.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast