• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

#1 song in America -- Indy

There are many independent bands that deserve to be on radio but because the executives at Record Labels are terrible at judging talent, many indies will never be heard on radio.

The #1 song in the US is Fireflies by Own City... The guy had everyone and his mother listening his songs on the net in 2007. Finally in 2009, Universal signs him after he had more than 10 million plays on Myspace as an unsigned artist.

Where is the connect? What do these record company execs do all day long? I can tell you what they should be doing, scouring the internet for talent.

We own a Christian Radio Network and in my opinion, Christian record labels are even worse. I strongly doubt they would have ever signed Own City though Adam Young, the leader of the band is a devout Christian and all his music is positive and upbeat.

Katy Hudson had lots of talent but was let go by a Christian Record label....I don't know why she did what she did when she went secular but that girl had talent. You know her now as Katy Perry.

I look all over the world via the internet for great Christian songs and many are those performed by Indy Artists... One of my friends has said, "I like Christian Music but too many of the songs on Christian radio stations . sound alike, so then I also listen to secular music". ..Unfortunately, my friend is not within listening range of our radio stations signals otherwise he could hear the variety he longs for.

A vast variety of great Christian Bands can be heard on the net but most Christian labels won't sign them and the stationswon't play them.

One last note: (indy artist) Ben Clark's song, "Woo Hoo" just won Christian Song of the Year in Canada. Sadly, Ben Clark will probably never be signed by a Christian Record Label in the US because too many of them think everything has to sound like Mercy Me, Third Day, Casting Crowns or a derivative of such.

Ben Clark's music is like Owl City. exciting and unique..... In closing, I have no idea of how to start a record label but I know many talented artists and we do play them on our radio station, but I would love to do more for them and help them to get the exposure their talent warrants. josh

It takes time for any "Indie" band to make waves. Even so-called super groups have trouble sometimes.

By the way, Owl City is just watered down, pop-ier version of Postal Service. Maybe that's what it took to take off, watering it down.

Hey Josh!

This is Ben Clark. I appreciate your kind words and your thoughts towards the Christian music industry. I couldn't agree more!

Thanks for all the help. It's appreciated!

butler guy thanks for your message about Postal Service.... we're going to add to the band to our playlist after Christmas

God Bless!

josh

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom