• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Groove 105.7

Just a few more things I'd like to say after finally reading (or skimming) through the comments here, in addition to letting the fact that a Rhythmic AC exists there sink in:

1. Good job Atl!! Finally a Rhythmic AC, and not only that, Rhythmic AC makes a hell of a lot more sense than doing something absurd like Rhythmic Oldies!

2. If any top 40 stations there are hurt by this, I have a very simple idea
- JUST LEAN MORE CURRENT! Hopefully this is the affect they will have on chr's, rather than causing them to try to "go more back in the day".

3. I see some people happy because something "new" was tried for once. Maybe it's new for Atlanta, but I wouldn't say this is necessarily something new. It's just that Atlanta is a bit "slow" and odd when it comes to radio.

4. I will have to bet that this Groove station will (or eventually will end up having to) keep the back in the day hits portion of their playlist very limited, or exclude many things a traditional Rhythmic AC would normally play to avoid alienating many native Atlanta residents.

-> OH! And I just saw a live shot of songs they are playing at the moment! I love what they are doing!! BUT!!!
Now I have all the proof I need to know that it will change over time. I can guarantee that all those songs are not going to all be played together forever. It will eventually either go more rhythmic, or more adult ac-ish. It surely will not last exactly as is! Wait until the pd gets in and "corrects" the playlist. To be honest, it is a bit unusual to me.

They should just have a Rhythmic AC and Adult AC separately co-existing. I'm guessing MAYBE some of that unusual extra "Rhythmic AC" stuff is to make up for much of the other stuff they are leaving out that would alienate Atlanta. It's not like they can just start playing Stevie B, ready For The World, Trinere, Connie, Lisette Melendez, George Lamond, ...etc in 2009! However, they COULD play Inoj. When you have stuff like Naked Eyes, Bananarama, No Doubt, but NO Fine Young Cannibles, Ace of Base, Sophie B Hawkins....etc, that's most definitely a sign that some songs might disappear or somethings eventually got to give.

They really should've just went current top 40 and waited on the Rhythmic AC. I see them doing well by default as a new & exciting station, but struggling to navigate this type of format and keep halfway decent ratings within the next year or two without some tweekage of the playlist, ESPECIALLY more so if others start "normalizing", or new comers start popping in.

Of course The Beat being rhythmic would work because they are introducing current hits. Groove on the other hand, wouldn't sound right suddenly playing and making up for stuff Atlanta's missed over the years.. suddenly in 2009. How do you go from no rhythmic or traditional top 40 for a majority of the past 17 yrs. to a Rhythmic AC?

KDM 7000 said:
1. - that alternative lean Adult AC where stuff like the classic UB40, Rob Thomas, Simple Minds, Ace of Base, Hootie & The Blowfish, Melissa Ethridge, Real McCoy, Goo Goo Dolls, Annie Lennox, ...etc are supposed to be played because I know with the history of Star 94, people will be VERY familiar with the Adult AC sound. Actually, I guess lite rock covers that somewhat, but lite rock doesn't lean alternative like the Adult AC does, and it's not the same. I guess the currents on the Adult AC could be certain Black Eyed Peas songs, certain Lady Gaga, maybe some Nickelback, Natasha Beddingfield, Kings of Leon, The Fray, Rob Thomas, ... all the typical Adult AC stuff.

AND IN ADDITION TO THAT,

2. A traditional top 40 that plays ALL the hits!! You know! Beyonce - Sweet dreams, Lady GaGa - Paparazzi, IYAZ, Alicia Keys, Akon, Pitbull, Cascada, B.E.P., Miley Cyrus, Jeremih, Jay Sean, LMFAO, TI, Taylor Swift....etc.
Dave is SUPPOSED to be station #1. The fact that 94/Q aren't station #2 has been a topic of much discussion on this board.

BRENT said:
Are they doing something with all Michael Jackson right now???

Yes... Since the concert movie is coming out tomorrow, they are playing all MJ from 4-8.

BRENT said:
kal30005 said:
BRENT said:
OH thats right, forgot, but they keep saying "Hit" radio???

I think they are saying "It" Radio for the movie.

lol,, I guess I am going deaf...

I can remember back in the early 1990’s on the old WDJX in Louisville. One of the part-timers could not see the liner card and on his own, tried to use “Louisville’s Hits Station” once. It would have worked had there not been a slurring of the final “s” in Louisville’s into Hits. I love live radio!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom