• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

History of seattle am's questions KXA, KING, KAYO 1150

1090 still has the Harris stereo gear hooked up to the Amphet and 770 still has the Motorola in the rack. I also have the original Harris AM exciter that looks like an MX-15 I think it was for 1090. For some reason the manual and notes for the KJR-950 AM stereo exciter are at the KIRO Vashon Transmitter plant with original KJR stationary from that era. No idea why it's there.

There are two notebooks with notes and measurements from the Kahn days at the 1090 site, I have them out for easy reading.

I'm also bringing another part of Seattle AM history back...The engineers garden at the 1090 site. I'm going easy with just Pumpkins for this year with a few sunflowers thrown in for color. There was a Garden at KIRO too at various times, I can do a real big pumpkin patch there maybe next year.

In 1987, I bought an AM stereo tuner from Radio Shack in Richmond, BC, which only received C-QUAM.

It's funny you should mention Crap Shack. The only AM stereo receiver that received Kahn ISB stereo, was the tuner we had as an air monitor at KING. It was a Radio Shack (plastic case made to look like wood grain) receiver that had been highly modified with a breadboard Kahn receiver board inside. Interesting to say the least, but ultimately still Radio Shack quality.

It's funny you should mention Crap Shack. The only AM stereo receiver that received Kahn ISB stereo, was the tuner we had as an air monitor at KING. It was a Radio Shack (plastic case made to look like wood grain) receiver that had been highly modified with a breadboard Kahn receiver board inside. Interesting to say the least, but ultimately still Radio Shack quality.

I think that's the one I had, the TM 150, The AM only model, not the AM/FM one. When I think about it, every station I ever heard at 570 in the many places I lived while I owned it was in stereo...so that might have been a defect in the radio. I know WNAX truly did run stereo, so that one checked out but I'm not sure 570 in Kitchener Ontario was running stereo in the mid 90's. If that was indeed a defect, then that would explain why it heard KVI in stereo. My Sony SRF 42 didn't seem to get the Kitchener station in stereo, and it was a more sensitive radio, yet the light went on for the TM 150.

Last edited:
And if you liked AM stereo, you're gonna love an all-digital AM band.

And if you liked AM stereo, you're gonna love an all-digital AM band.

Ironically, even for having done the test, AM stereo using the Motorola technology was easier to implement and operate than AM digital and unlike AM digital, AM stereo could be used by facilities with degraded physical plants, for the most part. Hopefully the newer gear will be more accommodating as they learn. Nearly every importer and exciter of our generation is dying or has died because of the consumer grade parts used in them. It’s a mess.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom