Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: So when does the great AM die-off begin?

Re: So when does the great AM die-off begin?

I suspect that full-time AMs will hang around for a while longer. They deliver acceptible audio quality for talk & sports broadcasts. Daytime-only stations are likely to continue to fade into oblivion, unless they're used to deliver content to a low-power FM or translator.

As "Rusty" pointed out, there are a significant number of AMs that are alive and well, and raking in cash. The audiences are aging - but so are ALL radio audiences at this point.
    Did I forget that <<sarcasm>> tag again?

Moderator/Co-Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Blades
    In fact, in Chicago and Frisco, the #'s 1 and 2 are both AM's.
    By "Frisco" I presume you mean San Francisco... never say "Frisco" if you visit, or you may not survive. The term "Frisco" is quite hateful.

And those AMs in Chicago and the Bay Area are nowhere to be seen in any age group advertisers want... KGO in SF is not even in the top 10 25-54. And in chicago, neither WLS nor WBBM are in the top 5 in the sales demos.

In several other markets, the big News/talk AM's are second or third (Unfortunately, most are programming rabble-rousing, hate mongering, right-wing propaganda). So the old gal ain't dead yet.
    In sales demos, quite the contrary. Only a couple of AMs does well in 25-54, like KLBJ in Austin. Otherwise, they are losing ground in sales because they don't deliver demos advertisers want.

www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo
    In fact, in Chicago and Frisco, the #'s 1 and 2 are both AM's.
    By "Frisco" I presume you mean San Francisco... never say "Frisco" if you visit, or you may not survive. The term "Frisco" is quite hateful.
    So I take it that they didn't like Otis Redding's "Dock of the Bay" there?

("I left my home in Georgia,
    headed for the Frisco Bay")

Well, if it's any consolidation, the number one stations in Chicago, Frisco, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Cincy, and Columbus, just to name a few, are AM's. In fact, in Chicago and Frisco, the #'s 1 and 2 are both AM's. In several other markets, the big News/talk AM's are second or third (Unfortunately, most are programming rabble-rousing, hate mongering, right-wing propaganda). So the old gal ain't dead yet.

Like Beta and cassettes, AM will always be around.

Right?

Nope, Rusty.

Some AM's...like the WTVN's and WLW's and WLS's and WABC's of the world will probably hang on for a while longer. But facts are facts. Virtually no one under the age of 40 listens to AM radio. Some people 30 and under have told me they have never listened to AM...ever. Listening only crosses from AM to FM. It doesn't go the other way.

Unfortunately, I think about the time the Baby Boomers move on to the next parallel universe (or whereever you believe we go after we stop breathing), AM may probably die with us, or else be auctioned off and used as a datacasting service.

And of course there won't be any "right wing hatemongering" because we will all have been to the reeductaion camp by them.

Quote Originally Posted by gr8oldies
    And of course there won't be any "right wing hatemongering" because we will all have been to the reeductaion camp by them.
    You mean you know about the reeductaion camp? How did you hear about it?

You mean you know about the reeductaion camp? How did you hear about it?
    Somebody left a flyer on my car.

reeductaion
    reeductaion
    Don't know what kind of camp that is.

Sorry, spelling police. Re-education.

Re-education camp will open, as it is now --

On FM.

Then, radio will become a thinning herd.
    &quot;Naked Hobos -- only come here for the promise of FREE Chicken! CBS Cares.&quot; Craig Ferguson - &quot;The Late Late Show&quot; - CBS

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast