Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: So when does the great AM die-off begin?

Re: So when does the great AM die-off begin?

Quote Originally Posted by Goat Rodeo Cowboy
    It is getting rather difficult to have conversation with them about my "land line".
    Get used to it. The big companies are getting out of the land line business. Just like big radio is getting out of small markets. Verizon has sold its landline business in the midwest to Frontier Communications in Connecticut. The Verizon CEO called the sale "great value for our stockholders." Smaller company means better service, right? Not exactly. The smaller company is in the bill collection business, not the development or improvement business. So as long as the lines keep working, they keep sending you a bill. But the R&D for POTS is done.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA
    But the R&D for POTS is done.
    If you mean normal POTS land line service what R&D is necessary?

Over time POTS will transition into fiber-based technology which will open up a bunch of options but to people who just want POTS it won't be of any value.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Quote Originally Posted by landtuna

If you mean normal POTS land line service what R&D is necessary?
    There hasn't been for some time, which is why the big guys like Verizon and AT&T are getting out. No growth. It's just maintenance. At some point, cell service will go the same way.

Moderator/Co-Administrator

[quote=landtuna ]

Not even Spanish language... during the high-price years for FMs, some AMs in markets with lower percentages of Hispanics were useful as Spanish language facilities, but that will not prevail for long.

The Hispanic community is 10 to 12 years younger than the non-Hispanic population of most cities, and has about zero interest in AM. As an example, in LA where there are plenty of Spanish language FMs, there are only about 2 shares in 18-49 or 25-54 for AM in Spanish, while there are about 26 to 27 shares for the FMs.

Now that FMs are less expensive, look for more Spanish language AMs to move to FM or die... or for poorer signaled Spanish language FMs to go to bigger signals... like WCAA taking the WQXR facility in New York City.

That leaves "All colon cleanser all the time" as the most interesting remaining AM format; the paid preaching seems to be migrating to TV, where the placining of hands and such visual elements of such ministries is better witnessed (no disrespect intended... it's that charismatic churc services are very visual!).
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Almost an interesting relationship between the decline of POTS and AM...except AM's decline has been way longer.

louromshow

Did anyone read this month's Talkers article on FM Talk? It suggested that on avereage an AM Talker switching to FM can expect to triple its Arbitron in just two to three books simply by making the switch. In most markets, as I understand it, all but maybe one AM station are doing no better than a 1.5 or so, many much much lower. Seems to me if that premise is true it could take many struggling AM talkers and turn them in to a viable 3.5, 4.0, or even better. That's not great but it's profitable. If I owned the AM Talker I work for, I'd do what I could to acquire a struggling FM, move my news/talk format there, and flip the AM to the only AM that works in smaller markets -- sports talk. That's my novice opinion. Anyone???

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA
    Almost an interesting relationship between the decline of POTS and AM...except AM's decline has been way longer.
    By 'decline' do you mean the subscription base falling? Otherwise POTS is about the same as it's always been. I still much prefer using POTS to cell. Dropped connections, static, poor voice quality, high cost and unscrupulous business practices of wireless corporations won't attract me as a customer.

My POTS service is cheap, reliable, excellent voice quality and also provides my DSL service (also cheap and reliable). In the next few months an upgrade to fiber will be completed and then I'll have up/download speeds equal or greater than the coax connections available here. All for a whole lot less moola.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Quote Originally Posted by landtuna

By 'decline' do you mean the subscription base falling?
    Yep...and it will continue to decline, just as AM's audience has declined.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910