• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WCTZ 96.7

ansky212

Star Participant
I remember reading a post on here about a year ago that WCTZ 96.7 from Stamford was supposed to be moving their transmitter closer to NYC (Long Island or Queens?) Is this move still supposed to take place? Haven't heard anything about it recently.

Yes there is a CP to move 96.7 WCTZ's transmitter to Yonkers in Westchester County.....They first had a CP to move to Nassau but later changed it to the Yonkers location......This move will force WTSX to move who already has a CP for a COL and transmitter change.....However, there has been no mention when the moves of these two stations will actually take place.....My guess the economy has a lot to do with it......I know 103.9 WFAS-FM is supposed to move to the WFUV site in the Bronx but I've heard this may not happen now b/c of the poor economy.....There is also a CP to move 93.5 WVIP to the WFUV site as well but I am not sure when that will happen either........Crazy how many area stations have CP's to move their transmitters around NYC (WVIP/WCTZ/WTSX/WFAS/WNYE/WBGO) and out of all of them only WNYE has made a move.

A few years back they changed their COL from Stamford to Port Chester.....Once the COL change was complete they applied to move the transmitter......The first CP was to move the transmitter to Nassau County but several months later was changed to the current CP which will move the transmitter to Yonkers instead.

Thanks for the explanation. I could get a faint signal depending on the day at my apartment in lower Manhattan. If they would move the transmitter to Yonkers, I should be able to hear it without much difficulty. The question then becomes what happens to it when they make the move. Since northern suburbs already have a plethora of AC stations, the Coast format is pretty redundant. Being a Class A station, they would find it hard to compete against the likes of Lite FM and Fresh. So it may be a prelude to a format change. Urban AC, classic R&B or salsa could work as the would-be coverage area encompasses all of The Bronx.

Thanks for the explanation. I could get a faint signal depending on the day at my apartment in lower Manhattan. If they would move the transmitter to Yonkers, I should be able to hear it without much difficulty.

For a CT based station WCTZ comes in great in parts of NE Jersey (as long as that pirate in Paterson isn't on the air).....It always stops on my seek and I can even get it with RDS......Funny how WCTZ comes in great but WFOX who only is a few miles away from WCTZ's transmitter is completely unlistenable (but that has a lot to do with WRAT).....When they move to Yonkers the signal should blanket much of North Jersey.

The question then becomes what happens to it when they make the move. Since northern suburbs already have a plethora of AC stations, the Coast format is pretty redundant. Being a Class A station, they would find it hard to compete against the likes of Lite FM and Fresh. So it may be a prelude to a format change. Urban AC, classic R&B or salsa could work as the would-be coverage area encompasses all of The Bronx.

This all depends on what Cox does with the station.....If they sell it I have a bad feeling it will end up as some ethnic formatted station.....I would love for Pamal to do a signal swap with Cox to get WXPK over to 96.7 as it would have a much better signal then its current home at 107.1.....But that's a long shot....I know when 96.7 had the CP to move to Long Island, Cox was just going to place them in as part of the Long Island Cluster....At that time I thought 96.7 would be a great spot for a 106.1 WBLI simulcast since they have no signal to the west b/c of 105.9.....However, with the CP change to Yonkers and the the multiple CHR stations in the area, that no longer seems like a good idea...So right now the future of 96.7 will continue to remain a mystery.

While the CP still shows, the transmitter site Cox wanted in Yonkers is no longer available to them...so they don't really have a place to move to meet it. That's the hold up. The whole thing probably won't happen.

While the CP still shows, the transmitter site Cox wanted in Yonkers is no longer available to them...so they don't really have a place to move to meet it. That's the hold up. The whole thing probably won't happen.

Well since they need to be within a certain range of Port Chester so the COL can be covered with the proper signal strength, they don't have too many options....In Westchester they could try to go to the current WVIP site.....It would be great for them to move to the WFUV site or across the river to the Armstrong Tower in Alpine but I think they are too far from Port Chester....If not they could try Nassau County again or just stay in CT.

Given the local topography, I think it will be hard with the Alpine and 'FUV sites to get the required signal over their COL (Port Chester, NY).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom