• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

I am seriously in LOVE with 92.3 Now FM

T

TheSoundOfNOW

This station sounds totally AWESOME. I enjoy listening to todays hit music on 92.3 Now FM! The sound of Now is going to be New Yorks #1 Radio Station soon.

Who else is absolutely awestruck by 9.23 Now FM?!?!

TheSoundOfNOW said:
This station sounds totally AWESOME. I enjoy listening to todays hit music on 92.3 Now FM! The sound of Now is going to be New Yorks #1 Radio Station soon.

Well let's not exagerate but 92.3 NOW is sounding better as they expand the playlist, add some mix shows, hire some better on air talent and have some catchy sweepers.
Their rhythmic hip, hop, dance lean undoubtedly sets them apart from Z100 creating a top 40 niche for them in this market..although not sure where this will leave KTU.

It's nice since about 2 months ago NOW was literally unlistenable with them playing Poker Face every 5 minutes...seriously!

I've been hearing a lot more rock songs on NOW, as well as a few dance songs that only Pulse 87 had played. The first few months were repetitive to build cume, but now the cume has been built (sorry, it's still a far cry from #1).

By the way, 9.23 (or 9230 kHz) is completely static on my shortwave radio, and I am so awestruck by that ;)

TheSoundOfNOW said:

"Awestruck" wouldn't be my wording. And its not my first choice. But, Do I like the station? yes. Better than Z100? IMHO Totally yes. Z100 to me is competitive more with their on air talent, but Z100's music selection is not classic urban/current rhythmic or dance enough for me. I live in the 5 boros, not Long Island or Jersey. ;) I guess I like mature music, not a lot of the "thrown together" .....how should i say....I think I said it before somewhere "American Cheese Food Product" music 100% processed an unoriginal. And I hear too much of it on Z100 (ex............. Pussycat Dolls, good grief.....But Pink? Definitely Mature) Kind of like Britney Spears before vs After (And I prefer After). Current top 40 can be original and smart lyrics, and doesn't even HAVE to lean urban, but people listen for one main reason......Music!!! So the music needs to be great. Not that 92.3 is "fantastic", but they are pretty good, and I see that they do a better job at eliminating "cheese food product music" from the airwaves, hence, in my book, they beat Z100.

Nick said:
I've been hearing a lot more rock songs on NOW.
Uh...what rock songs? Use Somebody, Good Girls Go Bad and Don't Trust Me? Those songs caught on late on NOW compared to competitor Z100. The seems that the poster of this topic either really likes this station or works for it. Either one...

well, when they play the brand new version of "Boots(Are Made For Walking)" by The Humans, I'll be impressed....

TheSoundOfNOW said:

I've seen something like that before.

It's called SARCASM ; )

"TheSoundofNow" with 1 post?!? I smell a troll. Or the user is smelling something else....

TheSoundOfNOW said:

And the word for today, boys and girls, is *sycophant*, which is defined as a "self-seeking, servile flattererer". LOL

okay had to tune in for a bit today... still not all that impressed by it... when you're going up against Z100, the station that basically every CHR station uses as the guide on how to do CHR, you've got to be better that they are. The talent just doesn't sound like it knows New York enough. It's not dancy enough for Pulse pick-ups, it's not Rhythmic CHR Urban enough to pick up that crowd... it basically has to try and steal diehard Z listeners and besides sample numbers in the cume, they haven't done it, people are tuning in when commercials are on other stations briefly, then turning the dial back when they think the commercials are done. There is nothing inspiring to keep them there.

seems to me like they may steal some cume from KTU. They're very rhythmic and at the end of the day I don't know how much they'd really compete with Z100. They're 2 very different sounding stations CHRs.
The on air talent on Z100 is undoubtely better and more local sounding but NOW has a more NY sounding playlist. I actually think they're starting to sound much better. They had Jay Z on today. They're clearly a work in progress.

I listened yesterday,and I stayed tuned;
they are sounding much better;
as a long time radio fan( teen transistor radio carrier in the swinging 60s), NOW has already become WMCA to Z100 as Music Radio 77WABC;
WMCA had a bigger playlist and an insanely devoted following; their problem was(for Nassau/Suffolk) a horribly weak signal...
let's see what happens
(NOW should actually do a Tuesday night countdown show and give the tunes chart placement; " and NOW!, it's #1, Black Eyed Peas, tc.
can't hurt, as a throwback to the golden age of Top40, assigning chart positions to the tunes,and an on line survey playlist(we used o have to go to the record stores to pick up the physical weekly countdown chart) just makes the songs on NOW seem much more important than the exact same songs on Z100...
try it, you'll like it!

I know as a 32 year old male I'm not Z's audience, and I don't proclaim to love them, though it is on my first set of presets... Last I knew, Z still did music tests, one of the few stations that still does. I think they're hitting their audience as they should as a mainstream top 40 station. I'm not sure you can sound more like NY than programming and testing here in NYC.

If that's NY enough, how exactly should a Mainstream CHR from NYC sound if they're not it?

I supported Z100 from day one, did several features on them before 'worst to first'(ask Mr.Shannon) was the first avid media supporter, and i remain so...
but I do think what I prescribed as a classic Top 40 mainstay(making people mindful of 'hits' with numbers, countdowns, on line weekly charts) could be the straw on the camel's back..
either way, it'll be fun to watch(like Z vs. PLJ,Larry Booger and all that, Mr.Leonard and so on)..

I'm giving credit to NOW, they're ratings did climb up to 2.3, but slightly losing a little in their cumes, they are adding more selection to their playlist and getting the attention they need to get Z down. But it seems that KTU slipped down on this one, and it does look like it would be easier to knock KTU off the shelf.

NOW has had to adjust their musical selections to try and find a nitch because they hadn't been making much of a dent in Z100... it'll be interesting to see how other stations try and close any hole for NOW to fit into as the existing stations don't want to give up market share. As for knocking KTU off the shelf, with a cume of over 5-million, they may have share to give up, but would be hard to knock off the shelf. 5-million is something only Lite and KTU can claim in the country right now.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom