Thread: WRXP 101.9 FM AUDIO PROCESSING

WRXP 101.9 FM AUDIO PROCESSING

Listening more than usual to this station this weekend since the "Definitive 1019" is playing. It seems that the audio sounds like a bad internet stream as compared to what it was even just a few days ago (which could be termed at least average or on par with what one expects from an FM music station, with some imperfections). I know some of our engineering/audiophile posters could jump in here & give technical details about what may be happening soundwise at 101.9 FM past & present.

Just a general comment about NYC area FM audio: it seems for a market this large that there's a lot of stations that have audio quality that could be much better. I know when I listen with better quality receivers sometimes the flaws can be masked (or occasionally heightened) by the receiver itself or with some equalizer adjustments, whereas when listening on a standard portable/mono radio, "boombox" or walkman you pretty much get what the station's putting out - and sometimes it's surprisingly bad. Is it true that certain signals have particular characteristics that no matter how the processing is tweaked, they'll always sound more or less the same unless there's an overhaul in studio/transmitter equipment? I know some stations would automatically have to sound different technically than they once did due to format changes - for example, 104.3 FM is processed a lot differently now as classic rock WAXQ "Q104" from when it was classical music WNCN; 100.3 FM is a lot different from WVNJ's "peashooter" to WHTZ's "from the top of the gorilla building".

It's a small sample, but when I travel to Southern California for one or two weeks a year & get to hear the L.A./San Diego stations, it seems that most of the major stations have pretty good processing/audio quality across the board (with maybe a couple of exceptions - it seems that "sort of AAA" 100.3 KSWD "The Sound" & AC 103.5 KOST sound very "soft"; that's probably intentional due to their formats).

Listeners & audiophiles from various markets: feel free to chime in with info/thoughts as to their stations audio processing.

Re: WRXP 101.9 FM AUDIO PROCESSING

For what it is, RXP doesn't really sound much worse than any comparable NYC station to my ears. I'm more interested in hearing how their Abbey Road remote comes over, assuming that they will also originate music (live or recorded) from London.

So much has changed over the years with broadcast audio -- not all of it good; and, in the world of AM radio, no matter how much processing was provided in the audio chain, the stations on the mediumwave band were always locked into the relative quality of their antenna system or directional array, and how much bandwidth it provided. In the case of directional arrays, your relative received quality was always a function of where you were located in the station's pattern. I remember being a fan of WINS in the late '50s; although their signal was adequate where I was living in Northern Jersey, it always sounded muddy (no appreciable high end) -- thought it was just the station's rotten audio, even though the rock'n'roll was great and so were the personalities. Took a trip up to Connecticut on L.I. sound and WINS' audio was a revelation. At the same distance (or greater) from the xmitter, they had much better quality audio than I was hearing in North Jersey.

As for the current state of FM audio, it is purely a function of the beancounters, and how much bread they put into engineering along with their insistence on louder-Louder-LOUDER! which is essentially meaningless on the FM band. this, along with the fact that the FCC doesn't much care anymore about audio proofs of performance. Rock On!

Didn't think I had that much influence, but... ;D

Since my original post at about 2PM ET, it seems that WRXP has cleared up whatever problem was downgrading their audio. It seems like it's back to normal. I had been giving it some time to get fixed before my original post (it had been since at least late Friday afternoon (9/4) that the station's sound had been compromised).

We can still continue this thread on your thoughts in general about NYC area radio audio, plus other markets you've worked in or visited.

Quote Originally Posted by pjc1961
    Listening more than usual to this station this weekend since the "Definitive 1019" is playing. It seems that the audio sounds like a bad internet stream as compared to what it was even just a few days ago (which could be termed at least average or on par with what one expects from an FM music station, with some imperfections). I know some of our engineering/audiophile posters could jump in here & give technical details about what may be happening soundwise at 101.9 FM past & present.

Just a general comment about NYC area FM audio: it seems for a market this large that there's a lot of stations that have audio quality that could be much better. I know when I listen with better quality receivers sometimes the flaws can be masked (or occasionally heightened) by the receiver itself or with some equalizer adjustments, whereas when listening on a standard portable/mono radio, "boombox" or walkman you pretty much get what the station's putting out - and sometimes it's surprisingly bad. Is it true that certain signals have particular characteristics that no matter how the processing is tweaked, they'll always sound more or less the same unless there's an overhaul in studio/transmitter equipment? I know some stations would automatically have to sound different technically than they once did due to format changes - for example, 104.3 FM is processed a lot differently now as classic rock WAXQ "Q104" from when it was classical music WNCN; 100.3 FM is a lot different from WVNJ's "peashooter" to WHTZ's "from the top of the gorilla building".

It's a small sample, but when I travel to Southern California for one or two weeks a year & get to hear the L.A./San Diego stations, it seems that most of the major stations have pretty good processing/audio quality across the board (with maybe a couple of exceptions - it seems that "sort of AAA" 100.3 KSWD "The Sound" & AC 103.5 KOST sound very "soft"; that's probably intentional due to their formats).

Listeners & audiophiles from various markets: feel free to chime in with info/thoughts as to their stations audio processing.
    Traditionally Audio Processing was much better on the west coast especially in the 60s-70s-80s
    Jimmy Jiblet---Former Major Market Programmer/Consultant/Personality and now "insider" to the radio Industry.

Inactive

RXP had the same problem a few months back, and there was a thread about it on here....audio that sounded like a very low bitrate internet stream was being broadcast on their FM signal. Seems to be a recurring issue.

As for audio processing in NYC in general, my general impression is that most stations are lacking any "punch" in their audio...and many stations sound downright muddy, particularly on cheaper receivers where you can't adjust the audio settings and instead are stuck with what the stations give you.

Interestingly enough, when 101.9 isn't having problems with its audio, I think it's one of the better sounding stations on the dial. I also like 92.3 Now's sound.

What's RXP using for soundprocessing? Orban or Omnia ONE or 6?

Quote Originally Posted by pjc1961

IMHO, I think cbs-fm has the best i've heard in years. I had the oppurtunity to meet the chief engineer at cbs-fm over the phone. Very nice guy and really knows his stuff and does a great imitation of________________ :-)
    "There are two kinds of fools. One says-this is old and therefore good. The other says-this is new and therefore better."

Quote Originally Posted by CatfishJimPrewitt

IMHO, I think cbs-fm has the best i've heard in years. I had the oppurtunity to meet the chief engineer at cbs-fm over the phone. Very nice guy and really knows his stuff and does a great imitation of________________ :-)
    HAHA!