Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Could the teletype have stayed behind in the WINS move???

Could the teletype have stayed behind in the WINS move???

Let's face it, it's almost 2010! I know they've always used the looped teletype as a method of branding and possible dramatic effect. But really? Does anyone really think they're pulling the news off a teletype?

Could they have ditched it? Replaced it with instant message chirps? Facebook im clicks? Anyone?

Re: Could the teletype have stayed behind in the WINS move???

In a word, "No." You may "think" that the great unwashed masses know a teletype "sound" from a tuning fork, but in honesty, they don't ... especially at 10-10 WINS.

Ever see a sitcom on TV, lousy as it might be, without a laugh track? (mechanically "sweetened" by a Macenzie machine"? Believe me, it's not about live audiences from since TV was born. Without that "sweetening" -- most TV sitcoms would be dead. To many millions, not just listeners of WINS, but to others of the once great "Group W" legacy that still holds true (such as KYW in Philadelphia,) the teletype sound is heritage and without it, you notice it.

After these decades of unique branding as an all-news station, losing the teletype sound would be a sad shame and a loss of uniqueness. You may not notice it until it's gone. But I assure you, it being gone will raise lots of questions about the "difference" in the sound of WINS, especially against co-owned WCBS.

It may be branding, but it's cheap and sure effective. In addition, it works. It, better than any sounder or jingle, says "News at the 10-10 spot on your dial."

Keep the teletype. Please?
    "Naked Hobos -- only come here for the promise of FREE Chicken! CBS Cares." Craig Ferguson - "The Late Late Show" - CBS

Don't know about the teletype, but during their move to their new studios,
    they turned off the noise generator known as HD. 1010WINS sounded so
    much better with that I-noise turned off. Chris.. why don't you just leave that thing
    off. No one is listening to AM in HD, and, the quiet on the AM band is
    so refreshing. 50,000 watts of HD noise.. 3 listeners on HD. Go figure.

I listen in HD - but I know i'm probably like one of 5 people that does....

Andy
    Andy Gladding<br />Manager of East Coast Technology<br />Tangerine Global

I listen in HD too...
    Hockey is Life!&nbsp; <br />Radio is the Air!

What they really need to do is hire some 30-40 year olds who don't sound like they are about to fall asleep, actually have a Facebook page and a DVR and know how to pronounce the names of the celebs and athletes they are reporting on. The station sounds OLD. Yes , people listen because that is the new station and they give traffic on the ones.

Only CBS is worse. Trying SO hard to jazz up stories with a poorly edited hack song hook to go along with a story, that often has the exact opposite meaning that they were going for...like "Born In The USA" which is NOT a pro USA song.

Both stations hire board ops that constantly fire the wrong element or hit it too early.

Love the teletype sound. Makes the station unique. Without the effect, it would just sound like every other station on the dial. I hope that they never get rid of it.

I've often wondered how many "under 30's" could identify the TTY sound.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Quote Originally Posted by Radaioman
    What they really need to do is hire some 30-40 year olds who don't sound like they are about to fall asleep...
    What, you don't appreciate Jack Lacy and Stan Z. Burns? Maybe you should
    send a telegram of complaint to the WINS GM, Elroy McCaw. <wink>
    Save AM radio...kill I-CRAP.

They should turn the teletype up higher and replace the current compressor with a Fairchild 660 and turn it up.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast