Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ANNOUNCING PHONE NUMBERS ON RADIO COMMERCIALS

ANNOUNCING PHONE NUMBERS ON RADIO COMMERCIALS

Why is it that announcers insist on repeating phone numbers on radio commercials four, five, six times in the course of 60 seconds? I heard one the other day for a credit repair company that announced the phone number [u]SEVEN TIMES[u] [u] [u] in less than 25 seconds!! Do they think people are that stupid that they can't remember a phone number if repeated twice, maybe three times? Nothing makes me reach for the button faster whenever I hear one of those hucksters start their spiel!

And as for Car Dealer ads, well, I'll post that one later... >
    "You're pretty high and far out, aren't you? What kind of kick are you on, son?" - Jack Webb as Sgt. Joe Friday, Dragnet 1967

Re: ANNOUNCING PHONE NUMBERS ON RADIO COMMERCIALS

I doubt that the ANNOUNCER is INSISTING on repeating the phone number multiple times. The SPONSOR is demanding it. One of the mistakes of radio ownership and management is ALLOWING such commercials to be accepted. There was a time when stations had a concept of integrity that must be protected.

Now, in contrast to that, there are circumstances when an advertiser may go running to the FCC claiming discrimination and censorship. Besides wanting the revenue, station management does not want to tempt fate by drawing a line in the sand which may result in big legal expenses.

There was a time when station owners to pat themselves on the back for being "tough bastards" and brag about it at the country club and the chamber of commerce. Life is more complex than that today.
    Life is too short to waste time dancing with ugly posts

The bottom line answer to the question you underlined is: They know people won't remember the number with one or two mentions.

Pretend you're interested in one of these companies - and see if you can remember the number. The majority of folks
    can't. The frantic pace of life has contributed to this. The lack of creativity has as well.

I hear :60s with the number mentioned twice in the middle of the ad, and repeated twice at the end. That at least seems more reasonable to me. 7 seems excessive!
    &quot;Big D Country&quot;<br />Tallahassee&#039;s hometown station playing country and classic country music:<br />http://www.live365.com/stations/alanmccall<br /><br />http://www.facebook.com/bigdradio<br /><br />http://www.bigdcountry.com

I've always thought, unless you had a very easy-to-remember number (or pseudo number), it made much more sense to repeat the name of your business so interested listeners could look up the number later.

Endlessly repeating a phone number irritates most people and I would think that is the last thing an advertiser wants to do.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Nowadays, URLs of the business website (if they have one of course) is more effective than phone numbers especially if it's straightforward with no wierd spellings or hyphens etc... Like "ABC Construction dot com"

I think we are all dodging around an inconvenient fact in this discussion. I think MOST of the commercials that beat the phone number to death are some kind of direct-sale of something, though some brick and mortar stores have overused the phone number.

The station is often being paid on PER INQUIRY. The station gets paid IF you pick up the phone and call now. If you look them up on the Internet or drive over to the store and make a purchase, that station doesn't get paid. And possibly there is a phone-bank contractor involved, and if you don't pick up the phone and dial the number now, the contractor at the "boiler room" makes no income.

There was a time in our industry that decent stations looked down their nose with a lot of contempt at Per Inquiry ads and contempt for stations to accepted them.

Welcome to 2009.

Excessive phone number mentions hide the fact that, in many cases, the copy itself is uninspired and underwhelming.

I am not a proponent of telephone numbers in ads in general. They junk up copy, add little content, and frankly, who cares? That said, I think they are important and SHOULD be repeated at least 4 times in an ad where that is THE ONLY point of contact for the client, doing business through a hotline. That would eliminate 95 percent of all numbers in LOCAL ads, where they are typically insipid bits of trivia, tritely inserted by inexperienced sales people writing copy.

If it was my :30 or :60 second ad, I would want my number in the ad to be mentioned as much as possible in it. It might take people awhile to think, oh sh*t, I better write that down.
    "We Are All Stars In Our Own Little World"

Quote Originally Posted by LowPayDJ
    If it was my :30 or :60 second ad, I would want my number in the ad to be mentioned as much as possible in it. It might take people awhile to think, oh sh*t, I better write that down.
    Curious.

Why? Do you own a store that sells phone numbers?

If you are in a business that depends on people calling you as opposed to people finding their way to your place of business.... (think pizza place that is delivery only) then you should have a phone number that is memorable. Doesn't require a pencil and paper to remember it.

Maybe your business should have a website with a really easy to remember URL.

Phone numbers repeated over and over and over and over again are not pleasant. In fact, as the station owner you have to worry about them being an audience killer.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast