Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: KOPA vs KSLX

Re: KOPA vs KSLX

Quote Originally Posted by oldiesfan6479
    Quote Originally Posted by rickityone
    Wasn't Jonathon Brandmeier on KOPA AM/FM when they were located in the fabulous Safari in Scottsdale...?
    Johnny B hit the Phoenix market in February 1981 on "KZZP Mesa, KZZP-FM Mesa/Phoenix" (that's how they did their ID, and legally too!), coming from WOKY Milwaukee. He left the building in February 1983, prior to the expiration of his contract, heading for Chi-town. Legal wrangling ensued between KZZP (was it Western Cities ownership then?) and WLUP.

More details on his time in Phoenix: http://www.loonnews.com/

I don't recall him being on KOPA, but from the above link, it couldn't have been after his KZZP stint...was it prior to? I'm pretty sure he came from Beer Town to KZZP.

KOPA was, as you noted, ensconsed in the (by then) not-so-fabulous Safari Resort.
    Correct. Johnny B came to Phoenix to replace Crazy Dave Otto at KZZP when Dave left for Houston.

Dave Otto was at KOPA prior to KZZP signing on. Some of the morning folks who rocked the Safari just above the beauty shop after him were BJ Hunter and Howard Hoffman.

Otto didn't last long in Houston. When he got canned he wanted to return to KZZP, but Brandmeier was blowing up, so they shoehorned Dave into a 2 or 3 hour afternoon shift (I think Goddard was on until 5) for awhile until it was clear that the new show wasn't going to bomb and Dave went to Denver.

Let me see if I can remember the KZZP morning lineups...

Dave Otto
    Jonathan Brandmeier (Paul Talbot news)
    Somebody I can't remember (Randy Stewart?), Paul Talbot, Natalie Windsor (show didn't last long, but I remember the "we're gonna turn this town upside down" low budget TV spot done with headshots.)
    Chris Shebel & Keith Larson
    Bruce Kelly & Maggie Brock
    Dave Ryan
    ...then it got blown up for KVRY
    The opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers. Retweets are not endorsements.

Actually, a correction:

Jonathon Brandmeier did not work for KOPA.

When KZZP first signed on (from the less-than-fabulous studios at the old Thomas Mall), they lured KOPA morning man "Crazy" Dave Otto from KOPA. But KOPA fought back and lured Dave back into their fold....for about two days. KZZP reeeaaallly wanted Dave, so they upped their offer and Dave told KOPA to up there's (so to speak). Otto ended up doing KZZP mornings for several years before going to Houston.

IMHO, Dave Otto and Jonathon Brandmeier were two of the funniest AM drivers in Phoenix history and nobody working today comes close.

Quote Originally Posted by buster2
    Actually, a correction:

Jonathon Brandmeier did not work for KOPA.

When KZZP first signed on (from the less-than-fabulous studios at the old Thomas Mall), they lured KOPA morning man "Crazy" Dave Otto from KOPA. But KOPA fought back and lured Dave back into their fold....for about two days. KZZP reeeaaallly wanted Dave, so they upped their offer and Dave told KOPA to up there's (so to speak). Otto ended up doing KZZP mornings for several years before going to Houston.

IMHO, Dave Otto and Jonathon Brandmeier were two of the funniest AM drivers in Phoenix history and nobody working today comes close.
    Correct. That's what I was trying to say, but sometimes what's in my head gets confused once I puke it up onto the keyboard. My post up there should read that "Johnny B came to Phoenix to replace Crazy Dave Otto at KOPA when Dave left for Houston"
    The opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers. Retweets are not endorsements.

Steve Goddard was on in the afternoon after Randy Stewart's shift

Wow I love when posts get resurrected 10 years later! Going thru this, I couldn't resist my memories of KOPA

Quote Originally Posted by johndavis View Post
    I can't remember when they killed off KOPA,.........
    I think I can, only because it really upset me. It was early 86. I got home from school (I had just turned 10) and put on my radio. 100.7 was playing The Beach Boys. I thought...this is weird, maybe the next song will be normal....nope. I don't even remember them saying KSLX right away, but then again, I was 10. I do remember a few months later, they branded it as "The Man's Station". They would start a MJ record, and then scratch it off with a Macho voice "outta the way wimp!". Pretty funny stuff.

When I think of KOPA, I think of Blondie - Heart of Glass and Yes - Owner of a Lonely Heart... and Casey Casem AT40 countdowns where the needle would skip in the summer because the record was warped. I also remember the original Hot Mix on KOPA Saturday nights.
    Those are perfect examples of what I remember....in addition to Madonna, MJ, The Fix, Duran Duran, Prince, Chaka Khan, Mary Jane Girls, Wham, Cyndi Lauper, Naked Eyes, Starpoint, Lisa Lisa, ZZ Top, Softcell, Phil Collins.....and of course beloved Hot Mix! This was the main reason I listened (they leaned more rhythmic towards the end). I hated that 'Hot Mix' didn't play after KOPA signed off, but I was happy to learn when KZZP picked it up Fridays about 2 months later (Spring of 86).

I'm getting extra nerdy now, but I also remember 1440 (KOPA AM) was sometimes a couple minutes behind the FM, but also sometimes even a different version. Like the FM would play the single version of Cyndi Lauper, and the AM might play the remix. Or maybe I am mistaken?

On a side note, 1060 KUKQ Urban was my 2nd choice. They lasted about another year after Kopa (early 87 before flipping to country, and then again to Alternative late 88)
    Last edited by DJ_Perry; 04-11-2019 at 06:46 PM.

Loved Jones & Boze. The April 1 takeover of Pima Rd in Scottsdale is a classic :-))
    Dr. Akbar 'n Nurse Jeff
    The Middle Eastern Men of the Media
    Buckeye, AZ

Now in our 19th year of posting totally irrelevant comments. Someone had to do it!

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Perry View Post
    Wow I love when posts get resurrected 10 years later! Going thru this, I couldn't resist my memories of KOPA

I think I can, only because it really upset me. It was early 86. I got home from school (I had just turned 10) and put on my radio. 100.7 was playing The Beach Boys. I thought...this is weird, maybe the next song will be normal....nope. I don't even remember them saying KSLX right away, but then again, I was 10. I do remember a few months later, they branded it as "The Man's Station". They would start a MJ record, and then scratch it off with a Macho voice "outta the way wimp!". Pretty funny stuff.

Those are perfect examples of what I remember....in addition to Madonna, MJ, The Fix, Duran Duran, Prince, Chaka Khan, Mary Jane Girls, Wham, Cyndi Lauper, Naked Eyes, Starpoint, Lisa Lisa, ZZ Top, Softcell, Phil Collins.....and of course beloved Hot Mix! This was the main reason I listened (they leaned more rhythmic towards the end). I hated that 'Hot Mix' didn't play after KOPA signed off, but I was happy to learn when KZZP picked it up Fridays about 2 months later (Spring of 86).

I'm getting extra nerdy now, but I also remember 1440 (KOPA AM) was sometimes a couple minutes behind the FM, but also sometimes even a different version. Like the FM would play the single version of Cyndi Lauper, and the AM might play the remix. Or maybe I am mistaken?

On a side note, 1060 KUKQ Urban was my 2nd choice. They lasted about another year after Kopa (early 87 before flipping to country, and then again to Alternative late 88)
    KOPA had a psychic named Penny doing a show on Sunday mornings between Powerline and Casey Casem. She wasn't too good with running the board, as she would call home and check on her kid during AT40 - and put the call in program and not cue.

KOPA-AM did run a few minutes behind outside of morning drive as to not break the simulcast rule. They'd sometimes promote it saying "if you just missed your favorite song, switch over to KOPA-AM and we'll play it again."

And KOPA's jingles were awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by DrAkbar View Post
    Loved Jones & Boze. The April 1 takeover of Pima Rd in Scottsdale is a classic :-))
    I still find myself saying "smack-dab in the middle of the west's most midwestern town."

KOPA had a psychic named Penny doing a show on Sunday mornings between Powerline and Casey Casem. She wasn't too good with running the board, as she would call home and check on her kid during AT40 - and put the call in program and not cue.
    Must not have been a very good psychic, if she had to use a telephone to check on her kid

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12