• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

92.3 NOW: Is this for real?

With the way radio corporations think of thier listeners these days I don't doubt it a bit. Its hard to say whether this response was from an exec who thinks listeners don't matter anymore or a DJ who is probably sick of the listeners complaints AND the dumb decisions of management but this entirely lacks any professionalism whatsoever. Even a construction worker knows better than to act like that.

I wouldn't be surprised, but I wouldn't blame just the "execs." Jocks, even in an unprofessional moment, have long done stupid things like telling off abusive listeners. Not good, not smart, but it happens.

Now, let's say it was you and y our ego was a little bigger than your brain size, and you had just received a "vulgar text, out of anger," and you just decided to go off ... or would you say, "Hey, sorry, appreciate your text, I'll pass it on ... and thanks for listening to NOW ... from your friends at CBS Radio!"

What gives a listener the "right" to send a vulgar text, even out of anger to someone unknown? A nicer text, telling them how screwed they are would certainly (and possibly deservedly,) be ok ... but to send something that may (or may not) have ticked the jock off that much?

It works both ways, but the jock shouldn't (if he did) do something that tacky. I know, two wrongs don't make a right, but still, why be abusive, just because you don't like a radio station? Oh, I know ... "out of anger."

This "14 year old" if really a 14 year old, seems to ..first, have pretty bad language, and the irony is that this person is complaining about their offensive text that is the return of their exact same text. Then this 14 year old has an awful lot of free time on hands to be contacting the media, newspapers, televisions stations, FOX News and Perez Hilton abut this, geez so immature. Geez if the text was so offensive to this person, why did they send it out to station in the first place, please, as if they didn't see it coming. And the text doesn't even mention that this person was 14, so they cant go off crying saying "im an innocent 14 year old that is so offended." Anyways, 1)Something doesn't match up here, and 2) Much ado about nothing. 3) We don't even know if this happened 4) The "14 year olds comments on the youtube page speak for themselves, agenda, immaturity, or both, IMHO.

Based on the time it was received, it was most likely Chunky who sent the reply. Chunky is the WORST jock I have ever heard in the country, even worse than Howard Stern. He hits on 11 year old girls every night. His idea of an intelligent discussion is asking ladies to tell the tri-state area what their bra size is. Yet, some girls still like to listen to him for the same reason they like to stay in an abusive relationship.

I dunno. It reeks of a stunt. No way would I believe a person that posts it on YouTube after supposedly contact all the networks... and Perez Hilton. *shudder* That, or she's boldface lying about her age. Any 14 year old that talks like that should make one weep for society, NOT go into a huff about 92.3 Now... that is, IF it ever happened.

Exactly. This type of immaturity is prevalent in mic breaks (especially with Chunky) and imaging, so it doesn't shock me that they'd text something like this. Mind you, the person they responded to was probably being equally rude and immature. But I'm sure Z100 and other stations get their fair share of "you suck" texts/emails and I doubt they resort to this. And Chunky probably brought it on with his own snide remarks.

I don't understand why people like Allan Sniffen militantly defend the station's program choices. I may not be a fan of current pop music, but I can still tell that Z100 sounds much more professional and has more well-balanced mix of music, and the ratings reflect this. 92.3 Now sounds like a medium-market (at best) station being consulted by a bunch of bratty teenagers.

NOW sounds nothing like its left coast counterpart AMP. Tic Tak isn't bad on NOW, he used to be much more entertaining on Q102 back in the day, but I cannot believe Chunky is in market #1. His fans are adolescent girls whose disposable income is their allowance from mommy and daddy (advertisers aren't getting much value as they expect). People with an IQ above 92.3 won't like to listen to Chunky. NOW's song rotation is so bad that I can bet on which song I would hear next and I'd win most of my bets. I'm just glad that Kim Sozzi - Feel Your Love is among the songs they play over and over.

After watching what's been posted on Now's facebook page on the past, etc. I have to say that pic looks cooked up by a disgruntled K-Rock pre-teen. It's on par with all the other comments that's been going Now's way from 14 y/o boys who think Opie & Anthony are the best thing since Playstation came out. A still pic can be twisted in so many ways, but a video is much tougher to pull off. If something like that was produced for us to see, you might get me second guessing.

Chunkie says some pretty messed up things, but I'd put my car on the line that he didn't do it.

The irony here, is the people accusing chunky of "probably sending a text like that", miss the point , this "14 year old" admits in their own posts, on their own site, that THEY came up with that "insulting post first" and that it was returned word for word back to the "14 year old." Based on the 14 year olds own statements we can only conclude that the "14 year old" is the one that talks like that.

Please people, that post stuff like, "well 92.3 probably posted because they got a nasty text first", please, please, read this persons comments page, it says that it was the "14 year old's" own text message that was "so rudely texted back" in its "exact" form. So no matter how mature or not Chunky may be, or if he was even there at that time, the "14 year old" already admitted complete ownership of those words on the youtube page.

And how many 14 year olds.... that talk with that sort of language, pay so much attention, that they watch all those media outlets, and Fox News, and even try to get Perez Hilton. This really sounds like attention getting setup, but Im amazed at the people commenting that obviosly didnt read any of the this "14 year old's" comments on the page; that just throw baseless judgments out there. Reading is always the key, and usually leads you to the answer.

(Perhaps I'm overly sensitive, I was a Journalism major, so i just take details very very seriously)

Regards, if that was NOW that replied back with that comment, they fell in the trap. I know this is something Chuncky will do, but who's to say if it wasn't one of the interns or the street team that did the reply? Or say if this "14 year old" works or is affiliated with Z100 and is "geting back" at the promos NOW plays about Z. Yes, fans will say whatever and they are gonns say it however they are going to, but it's up to the other side to settle this like an adult. Bad move from NOW, it could've been handled in a different way. Nowadays, you gotta be careful what to say to who, where, and when.

I call bullcrap. Chunky's show may not be my style of radio....but I definitely know he (or "Guy on the Couch", who is in charge of taking calls and checking out the texts) wouldn't waste time responding that way.

StephanieNYC said:
I call bullcrap. Chunky's show may not be my style of radio....but I definitely know he (or "Guy on the Couch", who is in charge of taking calls and checking out the texts) wouldn't waste time responding that way.
you're right Chunky would just say crap like that on air

Chunky is not the only person who is the worse...Lil Cee and his attitude is just as bad.

If any DJ can battle both parties and defeat them, we can celebrate with drinks on the house :)

I did see the video response on this and that was totally unprofessional.

Granted, if an answer came off as "We're sorry you don't like our station but we are trying to do the best we can to entertain everyone", then even though it may sound like BS, at least that would be much more appropriate than what this person was texted.

No class on NOW's part.

I wonder if NOW and its staff have the brains to do a press conference and make a public apology for their error?

If that's not going to happen, then the audience was right....NOW is the worse station in New York City...period.

DesiArnez6 said:
The irony here, is the people accusing chunky of "probably sending a text like that", miss the point , this "14 year old" admits in their own posts, on their own site, that THEY came up with that "insulting post first" and that it was returned word for word back to the "14 year old." Based on the 14 year olds own statements we can only conclude that  the "14 year old" is the one that talks like that.

Please people, that post stuff like, "well 92.3 probably posted because they got a nasty text first", please, please, read this persons comments page, it says that it was the "14 year old's" own text message that was "so rudely texted back" in its "exact" form. So no matter how mature or not Chunky may be, or if he was even there at that time, the "14 year old" already admitted complete ownership of those words on the youtube page.

And how many 14 year olds.... that talk with that sort of language, pay so much attention, that they watch all those media outlets, and Fox News, and even try to get Perez Hilton. This really sounds like attention getting setup, but Im amazed at the people commenting that obviosly didnt read any of the this "14 year old's" comments on the page; that just throw baseless judgments out there. Reading is always the key, and usually leads you to the answer.

(Perhaps I'm overly sensitive, I was a Journalism major, so i just take details very very seriously)

And only if more people could think like DesiArnez6 - A Journalism major, too! - when it comes specifically to that last sentence within the third paragraph. That last sentence in this entire post is the highlight of this topic for me. This right here is the EXACT SAME REASON why I always post or say everything I have to say in full, precise detail! Also note that this guy isn't 14 and you can check thoroughly and see that no where on his YouTube profile did he say he was 14 years old, but I'm sure there will be people reading and saying "OMG a 14 year old???!!!". It's misinformation similar to this that can take a potential problem and turn it into a much bigger problem or misunderstanding than it already is. The moment any part of the story gets twisted or becomes inaccurate, the other party can rightfully stand up and say "that's not true" or "that's not how it happened.." etc, or even more, the rumors begin to stem from what is already inaccurate info leaving people with the wrong idea. The owner of the YouTube page himself did not write or explain in clear detail to begin with. ...and remember, everything I've said so far refers specifically to that one last sentence in the third paragraph.

Now, as far as the station, I have no solid proof that anyone who is or was physically employed at the station had text anything. However, if anyone there did behave in such a manner, then that was very foolish of them to do so and they probably need some retraining or some other line of work where they are much more capable of handing all situations that may arise in a more professional matter. Anyone responding to a customer should not do so in that type of manner, despite the fact that the other party was the one who started it and it is very simple to understand that if you don't like something that's of no cost to you, then you can just move on to something else you do like or find whatever pleases you. Having opinions about something are good, but there is a limit to where the opinion you're delivering crosses the borderline between constructive and just being plain dumb and ignorant, and saying that "everybody else is probably/surely doing it" doesn't justify anything.

They both pretty much asked for what they got with the way they handled the situation, and if everything did happen as stated and it were completely up to me, they, in addition to whoever is in charge of hiring/monitoring the on-air staff, would all get equal treatment and ridicule if I was the one covering this story. Now lets say the boy was 14. Well, it would be everyone INCLUDING THE PARENTS and who ever was responsible for hiring the on-air personality that would get no sympathy from me. Whether or not any of them choose to listen or accept the responsibility of their stupid behavior is up to them. Case closed.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom