Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1010 WINS moving downtown

Re: 1010 WINS moving downtown

Aug 21 (this Fri) for WINS. Labor Day weekend for WFAN (for now).

Ok, exciting. Good luck ;-)! I hope they are making some pictures from the new studio's. Or are there still pics on the net?

By my count, that puts five of the six CBS stations in NYC in one facility after Labor Day. Fascinating!

Thank goodness upper management at CBS Radio has the wisdom to leave WCBS News 880 at the CBS Broadcast Center.

wgliradio informed:

The major issue is getting the bugs out of the new Audio Vault Flex, which is being test run on WCBS AM. This version is brand new and was written for news/talk/sports stations that have much different logs and needs than a music station.
    I just saw the above earlier in the thread. I am not understanding why WINS isn't running this system itself since, I gather from what you are saying that this system will be what the station must use after it moves. Are the formats similar enough to insure that this system will do what it is supposed to do when WINS starts using it? Does this system handle all recorded audio in the station?

Believe me, we want the move of WINS to be as transparent as possible. So far, we are 3 for 3, but you don't want to move until you are confident in the new systems...
    Are you confident in those new systems? No doubt you installed a trouble-free, cutting edge facility at Hudson Street so theoretically you are confident but I can't help but detect the slightest bit of trepidation in your posting...

Audio Vault Flex (V 10) is brand new, never before used software. As with any new broadcast software, no matter how much you play in development, there are always bugs to be found once it works in a real environment. Over the past month since the original post, alot of those bugs have been fleshed out.

WINS is currently using Media Touch. The change to AV downtown from Media Touch for both WFAN and WINS brings all CBS stations into one platform (AV).

Ok, when is the official move happening? In the night from thursday on friday? When is the first shift from the new studio?

rent is cheaper downtown, thats why many are moving there.

wgliradio educated:

Audio Vault Flex (V 10) is brand new, never before used software. As with any new broadcast software, no matter how much you play in development, there are always bugs to be found once it works in a real environment. Over the past month since the original post, a lot of those bugs have been fleshed out.

WINS is currently using Media Touch. The change to AV downtown from Media Touch for both WFAN and WINS brings all CBS stations into one platform (AV).
    Thank you for all the really useful information. I'll bet that WINS and WFAN can't wait to move so they can start using that "Flex" system in their new, state of the art studios downtown!

You've got to hand it to those management folks at CBS radio. They seem to be doing everything right these days and taking their time to make sure that everything will work as expected before these stations move. Our hats are off to them for continuing to bring us great quality radio in the nation's #1 broadcasting market!

Quote Originally Posted by Cal Stymes
    You've got to hand it to those management folks at CBS radio. They seem to be doing everything right these days and taking their time to make sure that everything will work as expected before these stations move. Our hats are off to them for continuing to bring us great quality radio in the nation's #1 broadcasting market!
    Well, It goes way beyond the Management. The original plan had the various stations moving in at a quicker pace. The technical staff (engineers in the trenches) made the case to management that it would be best not to rush the proceedures. At that point Kudos to Engineering Management and also the program management at the various stations for listening to the engineering staff and revising the move schedule to a workable pace.

Also, keep in mind that in several instances just because the program operation hasn't moved doesn't neccessarily mean that business operations haven't. I believe they moved sales and other business personnel in to some degree. I'm not sure about FAN and WINS, but there were people working in the offices of the new NOW facility a week or two before the new studios went live.

All in all the facility is impressive just by the sheer magnitude of the operation.

Quote Originally Posted by mary
    rent is cheaper downtown, thats why many are moving there.
    While this may be true, consider that this is also the industry trend all over. Most broadcast companies are co-locating all of their cluster facilities in order to share resources. As Midtown is still pretty well inhabited, it was a lot easier to find a facility big enough to house all of the stations together downtown where there are a lot of vacancies, and well, yes, cheaper rent too. No suprise that the new Clear Channel facility and WOR aren't far away.

What is the street address of the new place?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast