• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Help: History of Utica radio Questions.

therealjm12 said:
WUFM was a beautiful music station and was quite succesful for a few years. It was a very early stereo station. Amazing that it could compete with its 3kw (tower on the Hotel Utica) against the 133kw WRUN-FM for as long as they did. They later changed the call letters and owners (WZOW). WZOW continued with the the beautiful music format for a while but it was like beating a brick wall against WRUN-FM , which by that time, was stereo and had a killer signal and sound quality. WZOW experimented with AOR for a while- competing with the up & coming and much more powerful WOUR. WZOW eventially went off the air and was reborn a few years later as WTLB-FM and later WRCK. Hope all this helps. It's just from my memory.

Thanks for all of this interesting history.

I read somewhere that Hungarian rufugee Antal "Tony" Csicsatka was involved with WUFM in its early days. He was an R&D engineer at GE's Radio Receiver Division and the inventor of the FM stereo system adopted by the FCC (although Zenith proposed a nearly identical system). His personal story is quite inspiring; you can read more about it here:

http://members.cox.net/csicsatka/

It is quite remarkable that Tony Csicsatka's invention, developed in a Utica laboratory, is now commonplace and enjoyed by billions of people throughout the world. As far as I know, it has been adopted as a standard by the broadcast regulatory agency of every country, although some of the Eastern Bloc nations held out for a while. (Needless to say, this never happened with television or digital broadcasting) Here is his patent application:

http://louise.hallikainen.org/BroadcastHistory/uploads/harold/pat3122610.pdf

He went on to develop sixteen more patents for GE, including the discrete quad FM system which was years ahead of its time but never saw significant consumer acceptance.

therealjm12 said:
Joe Uzdavinis, who was part owner of WADR told me many years ago that the frequency of the original WIBX-FM caused some kind of interference with nearby Griffiths Air Force Base in Rome. I believe he said a harmonic was the cause. The family that owned WIBX AM/FM worked out some kind of deal with the FCC for the FM to go dark, and return to the air at some future time on a different frequency. Obviously WIBX-FM was not making any money and had almost no audience.

The story that filtered down to me was that WIBQ (or was it WIBX-FM in the '60s?) originally operated on 94.9 but the second harmonic at 189.8 was affecting reception of WNYS-TV Channel 9 (which occupies 186-192 MHz) in the Utica area. This problem preceded the launch of local ABC affiliate WUTR Channel 20, so many complaints were received and the FM station shut down until a remedy could be found. Eventually, the FCC changed WIBQ's assignment to 98.7, and 94.9 remained off the books until the early 80s when it was reassigned to Frankfort.

It is also quite possible that Griffiss AFB was being affected somehow. Early FM transmitters had many problems with spurs and harmonics.

Hello to all. Been years since I left the Utica/Rome market. I'm second to JM in working at WADR twice... The first time with Joe Wilson. Larry and Ginny Manuel bought "The Country Giant" in the late 70's. The FM came on in late '83 as WAES. "E" and "S" falling after "D" and "R" so the stations would be side by side in the Arbitron and Birch books. The station was never simulcast with sister AM...it started out with Unistar's AC format the first U/R station full time off a bird. In 1985 WIBQ gave up the heritage calls and flipped to WNYZ. Thirty days later WAES became WIBQ.

Does anyone remember WIBQ's 70's Sunday afternoon Quadraphonic broadcasts?

Thanks, Freebird, for the fascinating and informative post regarding the invention of FM Stereo. It's especially interesting to me as I too had relatives who were part of the Hungarian uprising and escaped the Soviet Communist invasion of Hungary in 1956, only to find a home in America. Many of these talented, well-educated refugees (Freedom Fighters) were settled in camps set up by the US government. I remember seeing a few of them on Army bases in central New Jersey. Despite their talent and education, they often were derisively called "D-P's" (displaced persons) by others who themselves came to this country from other European countries only years earlier. Taken in by my grandparents and godparents, my Hungarian relatives became productive citizens of this country, in much the same way that Antal Csicsatka contributed to his community, GE and the business of broadcasting. What's particularly of interest to me is that I worked in Utica in 75 and 76 and would have enjoyed the opportunity to interview and talk to the inventor of FM Stereo. Your post was especially educational, because I too always believed that Zenith owned the patent for FM Stereo and Csicsatka worked for Zenith. These boards get a bit callous at times, but they also can be quite informative. Thanks again. -Jim

According to Jeff Miller's History of American broadcasting site http://jeff560.tripod.com/1950fm.html The BROADCASTING 1950 yearbook list WIBX-FM on 96.9. I have never heard of them being on another frequency till they signed on again as WIBQ-FM in the early 70's -not to be confused with WIBQ in Remsen.
An interesting site by the way, WNDR-FM, WAGE-FM (WHEN) and WFBL-FM. How broadcasting history in CNY would have changed if they stuck with it!

And WRUN-FM on 105.7. I am an alumnus of WRUN even was the chief engineer for a couple weeks (in name only). I knew they had changed frequency but have no idea how they ended up on 104.3 with that huge signal. George 'Woody" Woods was the chief in those days and he is long gone. Guess we'll never know.

I find this thread interesting.In a way I have my own part of radio history.My dad is Joe Wilson (R.I.P.) he worked at WLFH,WADR,WTLB,WRUN in the 70's and WADR in the 80's.I have a picture of him with a drawing for WTLB FM 107.3 and if I remember right it was a country format before becoming "Rock 107",shortly after that he went to to work for the AG Radio network for a while before going back to WADR.I remember the WAES FM was "Star 94" and was automated,I use to go to work with my dad on Saturdays and the first thing he would do was record the weather and news update for "Star 94".I have a lot of memories from different stations he worked at,when I was younger I wanted to follow in his foot steps,but he told me "to get a real job that actually pays" he showed me how erase carts,splice and dub tapes I was in a couple commercials and he would record me for some his "bits" for his show,he showed me and let me run the board once in a while when he was on the air...ok probably said to much...I've always been interested and fascinated with radio and for some stupid reason I've always followed what goes on with our local radio (even though in my opinion good radio died a long time ago) a part of me would still like to try radio,maybe as a part time thing...that would never happen.

I hope some of the info I shared answers a couple things I read in this thread previously.

Hey Grebig-

I knew your dad back in the day and was saddened to hear of his passing awhile back. He was a good guy and a good jock. Excellent in the production room too. Those days-the late 70's- were some good times for radio in general and radio in Utica in particular. There were so many stations that sounded so much bigger then should have, given the resources available. It was talent that got the job done and there was plenty of it in U/R and the valley at the time. Your dad was one of the best and one of the funniest guys I knew.

At WUTR-TV20 (high atop Smith Hill) in the 1970's ........... Hey Joe (Wilson) how about a mic check level....... OK here goes...........
This is WUTR-TV 20, serving Utica-Rome and Stittville. We fell on the floor everytime he did it.

oldskoolr8do said:
Hey Grebig-

I knew your dad back in the day and was saddened to hear of his passing awhile back. He was a good guy and a good jock. Excellent in the production room too. Those days-the late 70's- were some good times for radio in general and radio in Utica in particular. There were so many stations that sounded so much bigger then should have, given the resources available. It was talent that got the job done and there was plenty of it in U/R and the valley at the time. Your dad was one of the best and one of the funniest guys I knew.

I have always wondered how it would have been if he had stuck around the area (he moved to Illinois) and how he would have fit in the radio market now....he is missed

therealjm12 said:
At WUTR-TV20 (high atop Smith Hill) in the 1970's ........... Hey Joe (Wilson) how about a mic check level....... OK here goes...........
This is WUTR-TV 20, serving Utica-Rome and Stittville. We fell on the floor everytime he did it.

he had a great sense of humor with stuff like that,never a dull moment

Ha Ha Ha- That was Joe. I remember him goofing around while cutting a concert spot ..."At the Timothy Leary Memorial Amphitheater in nearby Floyd" or on the air saying "it's 6-17... 22 before 9"... All while keeping a serious tone and a straight face.

Hey where does one get the history of ur radio book?? let me know. thanks for all the above info. this is great. I remember hanging out at my dads shop and listening to the music of your life 1550. wich then became wutq country. with pistol pete hirsch!

Hey where does one get the history of ur radio book?? let me know. thanks for all the above info. this is great. I remember hanging out at my dads shop and listening to the music of your life 1550. wich then became wutq country. with pistol pete hirsch!

I don't think there is actually a written down history of Utica Rome radio book. Just the fading memories of old timers, which I guess I have become. Besides how many copies would be sold? Here is a link to a website that Lou Barile put up a few years ago. It's mostly about the history of WIBX but there is a little about other stations, and personalities that worked at other the stations -long before my time.

Such memories! Even as a pre-schooler, I wanted to be a radio announcer, and I fondly recall listening to WALY Herkimer and WLFH Little Falls when we visited grandparents in the Mohawk Valley. I could also get WIBX and WTLB from the big city! I still have some 45s I won in a WLFH call-in in the 50s. Also have a reel-to-reel tape of the WIBX sign-off including the song "From the First Hello to the Last Goodbye"! Jeff Hunt - Roanoke VA

Wufm. Wzow

Hey Guys:

I was wondering if you can help me with some Utica radio history:

1. Can anybody tell me what was the Top 40 AM stations in Utica. I know there was WTLB 1310, WRUN 1150 and WKAL 1450. True? What years did they start and end? The braodcasting yearbooks don't give that great of info on this subject. Some say Contemp/MOR, some say just contemp and some actually say Top 40.

2. Was 98.7 WIBQ a Beautiful Music station or an MOR station when it signed on in 1974? The yearbooks say MOR and on some lists that I found it says it was beautiful music.

3. Was WUFM 107.3 a Beautiful Music station or a classical station? And I noticed that 107.3 WZOW was listed as MOR/AC in the broadcasting Yearbooks, True?

Thanks for your help on these questions.

T.J.
Good afternoon,
You asked about 107.3 fm.
It started as WUFM about 1963 studios on the 3rd floor of the hotel Utica and a 1kw transmitter on the roof.
One interesting aspect of the station's audio train was the lack of any limiter or compressor.
The audio fed right out of the customized Gates "yard" board directly to the rooftop transmitter.
What listeners heard was exactly what came off the record or tape.
WUFM was mostly MOR with an hour of Broadway and Hollywood at 10:00 am and an hour of classical music at 1:15 in the afternoon.
The station transitioned to new call letters in the late 60's and became WZOW.
It was thought a more modern , maybe even Zippy, image would be a good idea.
The format changed very little.
The station was sold in 1974 to an investor in NYC and the studios moved to Horatio Mall.
The last chapter was the sale to the owners of WTLB and I believe they moved the studios to Washington Mills and the transmitter to Smith Hill.
I'm happy to answer any questions.
Gary

Jim .. I am so sorry .. I never got this message. As a matter of fact, I have never gotten ANY messages from this site. Really wondered .. it was like everyone was interested for a moment and then nothing. I am still around and would love to connect with you, either her or on social media as TheDavidBowers.

Good Morning, I read with some interest the story about interference with Griffiss and WIBX-FM. I was the one who received the call from the Buffalo office of the FCC that afternoon. The agent asked a couple of questions to verify he had the correct station. It was the WUFM transmitter at the Hotel Utica on 107.3 that had drifted in frequency to 109 the same as the instrument landing frequency at Griffiss. They used a receiver to listen to the music we were broadcasting to confirm that out transmitter was causing the interference. They asked us politely to shut down the transmitter, which of course we did. The transmitter had developed a problem with the crystal oven that temperature regulated the frequency of the transmitter. Ed Sustrich the chief engineer got us back on frequency at 107.3 and as far as I know the problem never occurred again. Gary Morgan

I just bumped in to this thread...and I don't recall seeing any mention about the early days of WOUR...so...I thought I would pass this on from memory. First...I used to hear Utica radio from a very fringe area...about 20 miles north of Saratoga...

Back in 1969...I first started receiving/noticing the 96.9-WOUR signal....

Believe it or not...In 1969...WOUR started off as a Jesus station..."Christian Broadcasting Network"...

In 1970...WOUR was automated Top 40 as "Hit Parade 1970"...

In 1971...WOUR was "Hit Parade 1971" by day...Progressive Rock by night as "The Forerunner"...

By 1972..WOUR was full time Progressive Rock/AOR still known as "The Forerunner"...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom