• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Player 101

OKCRadioGuy

Star Participant
Just an FYI for those who have thought about going with the Player 101 product. It's not Nexgen. Although they claim it to be a strip-down version, it's far from being as stable and good. Just a warning that if you cannot afford to go with at least the basic Nexgen product, buying somehting else might be a better idea. We are having some stability issues and have been on the phone with tech support no less than 4 times. They are 'helpful' but I get the impression from several of them that Player101 is like a fly buzzing around their head. I sure wished I could have got the owner of this unit to buy the real Nexgen. :(

OKCRadioGuy said:
Just an FYI for those who have thought about going with the Player 101 product. It's not Nexgen. Although they claim it to be a strip-down version, it's far from being as stable and good. Just a warning that if you cannot afford to go with at least the basic Nexgen product, buying somehting else might be a better idea. We are having some stability issues and have been on the phone with tech support no less than 4 times. They are 'helpful' but I get the impression from several of them that Player101 is like a fly buzzing around their head. I sure wished I could have got the owner of this unit to buy the real Nexgen. :(

It's not stable? I have run it on my station and had it running for as long as close to 90 days without a reboot or close of the application. (only reason I had to reboot was blasted windows updates fixing security issues in windows).

RCS has a forum, I suggest you check it out and continue to work with support to find a solution to your issues.

One thing I have found over the years dealing with computers. If windows is not stable or the hardware is not stable any software running on it will have issues. The only time I have had issues with any automation software was a few years ago when caps blew on my motherboard and caused windows to frequently crash out of the blue.

I know that I have said this was the best to use, but I have to agree that it's not the same as Nexgen. I downloaded Nexgen Demo and I must say that it does not sound the same nor does it work as good. I am wondering if by stripping all the bells and whistles, they messed up the audio and other stuff. I am no tech person, but I am a audiophile, even the standard MPEG 1 Layer II sounds way better in the NEXGEN system than it does in Player101. Try it for yourself, call it a side by side comparison, and you will notice a difference. Playing it on the internet is one thing, but playing it on a FM station is another.I think we are going all cd again. It seems to be more reliable.Something else too, if you get this you have to buy the support. As for the boards I posted quite alot of question that have been ignored on the RCS boards. They do not always respond back. And in the last 2-4 months it has become a ghostown! ::)

Yeah I am having problems with it I have a buffering issue in there software that is causing it to skip and do all kinds of weird stuff, Then I have to have a Mpeg layer2 audio and there built in converter sucks, It is not Nexgen If anyone at RCS software development has a clue and would like to email me please do because I was on the phone with tech support and to no avail it was not fixed I know I have the low grade stuff but I am also looking at a new Nexgen unit for a friend station and if I keep having hell with 101 then I might as well stay with Scott Studios :-\

My 101 is not even 6 months old and been a pain in my butt. :(

[email protected]

I found that with any automation system, I good quality sound card was necessary. I used psi 101 (now it is Player101) and I found I could walk away for months at a time and it would stay up and running. All my audio was mpeg layer2 and I didn't have a problem. I had a friend that refused to use anything but pcm and she never had a problem with her 101 system.

Let's face it, if you use a robust automation system like nexgen, it is going to be able to do more and give you more. If you go with a less-expensive system, you get what you pay for.

Yes. That's true on the getting what you pay for part for sure! The system we are having issues with is a Dell that we specifically spec'ed out to be the same as what the folks at RCS told us to buy and what they use. The sound card is the pro card we bought from them that is the same as they normally put in the system. We aren't doing anything too unusual other than buying the actual computer through Dell instead of directly from RCS. That's too bad too. I REALLY wished we had bought the whole damn thing from them so we could just hand it back to them and tell them we wanted a WORKING unit this time. I am VERY underwelmed by the product. If tech support groans (but is generally polite about it and 'helpful') then it may be time to say bye-bye to the product line. RCS isn't doing themselves any favors keeping something onboard that creates headaches. Maybe we have some bad hardware or a corruped OS. Who knows. I'm just at my limits and appearently RCS's limits on how to correct the problem while enduring failure after failure.

I am going to be getting a Audio Science card and try it. I wish I could afford the NexGen software. The demo was far better than Player101. Maybe it's not the software as such, maybe its the bundled software that comes with my computer. Even though it is Windows XP Service pack 3. I hope that resolves the problem or at least helps it. And you are right JimmyNeutron when you said "If you go with a less-expensive system, you get what you pay for." My problem is sound quality and levels.I am hoping I can get this right. ;)

I am going to be getting a Audio Science card and try it. I wish I could afford the NexGen software. The demo was far better than Player101.

NexGen has (what I would consider) the best playout when it comes to audioscience cards. The 101 software uses the windows-compatible playout so there could definitely be some noticeable differences, which you have seen.

Three things that are a must when you're having problems with an automation system:

1. Memory - put 4GB in the system and be done with it. Memory's cheap, but solves a LOT of problems.

2. Run chkdsk. Open up "My Computer", right-click on the hard drive, select "Properties". When the window opens, go to "Tools", look for "Error Checking", then select "Check Now". Make sure to check "Automatically fix file system errors" and "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors". Say OK, and the system will tell you that it can't do it now, and ask you if you want to run chkdsk on reboot. YES. Reboot. It will take from 30 minutes to hours, depending on the size of the hard drive and the problems encountered. When it's done, the boot will complete. This way, you'll know that the hardware works and that your data is intact.

3. Defragment. I don't care if it says you don't need to. Automation systems are databases - large data files with lots of little records. Those large data files end up scattered all over the hard drive, especially if you're making lots of changes. Defragmentation - WEEKLY - makes a difference in performance.

Computer hardware is the heart of your radio station. Cheaping out on the heart of your automation system is just foolish.

"Computer hardware is the heart of your radio station. Cheaping out on the heart of your automation system is just foolish." That, my friend, is the best advice of all!

I am having problems with it I have a buffering issue in there software that is causing it to skip and do all kinds of weird stuff,

Ryan,
What type of audio card are you using? Is it an audioscience card?

I was working away (and in the middle of shooting the breeze), a friend mentioned an issue that he had encountered with audioscience cards. I guess his playout was choppy and it was found that buffering was enabled on the cards and once that was disabled, his playout was great.

Hi Jimmy!

I have the 5111 Audio Sciences card. Would that be one effected by the buffering setting? Any idea of where I'd look to check that in settings?

Thanks!

Re: Automation Systems 101

Over the last two decades I’ve used, installed and/or supported every major automation system there is - so I always get such a kick out of these threads where everybody is so quick to assume "it's the software" that's causing problems.

Before blaming the software, look at the computers you’re using and follow the tips Rox gave you – plus these:

1.Turn off EVERYTHING in Windows that is not ESSENTIAL to running the automation software. Things like “wireless zero configuration” and “web client”. Also check the "system tray" (bottom right part of the screen) and terminate ANY non-essential applications as they also suck resources.

2.Turn OFF Windows Update. Don’t install ANY updates until you first check with the automation software company to be sure that update won’t “break” things.

3. Lose the Windows “eye candy”. Turn off “themes” in Services and run a basic desktop. The computer is there to play music, not look pretty.

4. Put ALL your audio in linear (.WAV) format. With 1Tb drives less than $75 there is absolutely NO reason to use MPEG, AAC or any other codec. I’ve found that losing the compression fixes more than half of those so-called “stability” issues with automation systems.

If you DO have to run compression, use ONLY audio cards with hardware codecs (i.e. ASI 6000 series). Note that not ALL Audioscience cards have hardware codecs (i.e. the 5111)

5. Don’t run ANYTHING (yes, I mean ANYTHING) other than the automation app on the on-air computer. No web surfing, timeshift recordings, nothing. Running other apps takes resources from the main mission of the computer – keeping the station on the air.

6. NEVER expose the computer to the Internet. Period. Even behind the world’s best firewall. If you DO have to connect to the Web (i.e. to push “Now Playing” info) set it up so the automation computers are on their own isolated segment. Don’t know how to do that? Contact the local high school computer lab teacher – he/she can probably recommend a couple of students to set it up for you very cheaply.

I found this on the audioscience website:

Hardware Buffering=off
in the ASIWAV.INI initialization file (in c:\windows).

A restart of the machine is always a good idea when making a change like this, just to be safe.

I couldn't agree more with the poster who pointed out that everyone is so quick to blame the software.

I wouldn't recommend ever purchasing your own off the shelf machine--- it puts you at greater risk for problems, as it wasn't setup and installed at the factory. That said, machines from the factory can develop their own issues too...but they're more likely to come fully configured, with background services pre-disabled, um...LIKE WINDOWS FREAKING UPDATE!

If you're willing to come onto a message board and accuse RCS of purposely making their less expensive flavor of Nexgen sound worse in some way...answer me this: what soundcard are you using, what audio are you using, analog vs. digital out? Are you really comparing apples to apples?

...oftentimes it's the hardware...and oftentimes, it's the user. There may very well be less than stellar support with Nexgen these days, can't answer to that...but I've never known Prophet, anyway, to put out a darn fine product and stand behind it 100%.

My problem is that when I was looking for a play out system I called my local rep here and he told me that any computer would work, even over the shelf , though, that RCS doesn't recommend or support Vista. He also told me that Mpeg1 Layer II was the way to go. As for the Audioscience card, I tried it today, the sound was amazing! As far as the levels they were still all over the map. Of course I am using the internal AFC CDX . And yes I only did them in wave. I have heard that Windows XP Service pack 3 causes problems, is this true? My computer came with that already on it.When I called him yesterday he said that there should not be a problem with this service pack. ???

Thanks Jimmy for the info on the buffering ini file.

"I couldn't agree more with the poster who pointed out that everyone is so quick to blame the software."

Regardless, the problem exists. What I am saying is maybe RCS aught to reconsider even allowing anyone to self-configure a system. If you count up all the man hours of support they have put into our system it quickly wouldn't be worth their time. Here's the sad thing. I was VERY careful in installing the software. I did turn off a lot of extra garbage, etc. Maybe I got a computer with bad hardware. Maybe I have a bad sound card. Maybe there was a glitch on the software loading or configuration. Who knows. All I am saying (and basically agreeing) is that my client shouldn't have really been given the option of going cheaper and buying their own machine. In his defense and mine, we DID ask RCS for the exact same hardware specs they use and soundcard. I wanted no trouble and got a heaping helping of it.

"I wouldn't recommend ever purchasing your own off the shelf machine--- it puts you at greater risk for problems, as it wasn't setup and installed at the factory. That said, machines from the factory can develop their own issues too...but they're more likely to come fully configured, with background services pre-disabled, um...LIKE WINDOWS FREAKING UPDATE!"

Bingo. I just wished we had not went that way. Now I, the engineering guy, am caught with problems in the middle. It's just not really in RCS's best interest or mine.

"If you're willing to come onto a message board and accuse RCS of purposely making their less expensive flavor of Nexgen sound worse in some way...answer me this: what soundcard are you using, what audio are you using, analog vs. digital out? Are you really comparing apples to apples?"

That one wasn't me. I really don't have a problem with the sound quality. The only issue with the sound quality I have is the crappy files that they drag up that are mpeg crap and have to covert to linear to run on the system. As another person pointed out, there is little reason these days to bother with any file that's not linear as hard drive space isn't a big issue anymore. The trick for us is the source of the music files themselves. At some point soon I hope to get them to go ahead and pay a dollar and replace the music they have with linear.

Once again, I'm really not ragging on RCS. I just think they should reconsider a few things about this product in general including even bothering. Sometimes a person can spend dollars picking up quarters. In a way, that's what Player 101 seems like to me for them.

...oftentimes it's the hardware...and oftentimes, it's the user. There may very well be less than stellar support with Nexgen these days, can't answer to that...but I've never known Prophet, anyway, to put out a darn fine product and stand behind it 100%.

I know. Another poster made the comment about 101 sounding crappier than regular Nexgen. Not possible.

Going linear may or may not have anything to do towards solving your problem. It's a time consuming project for programming, but clean audio files can be ordered or downloaded for between $1.25 and 2.00 from a number of sources, uncompressed. I'm sure it's not your decision.

I would think everytime RCS sells software-only, there's gotta be a price they ultimately pay having to support unique configs and issues. Your issue could be indicative.

Sgeirk, first you have no idea what I said. You should read before opening your mouth. ;)

So Let's clarify "I know that I have said this was the best to use, but I have to agree that it's not the same as Nexgen. I downloaded Nexgen Demo and I must say that it does not sound the same nor does it work as good. I am wondering if by stripping all the bells and whistles, they messed up the audio and other stuff. I am no tech person, but I am a audiophile, even the standard MPEG 1 Layer II sounds way better in the NEXGEN system than it does in Player101."

Fact is I am right. RCS emailed this back to me "Because Player101 uses windows drivers for play out rather than the Audioscience drivers, by definition, it may not sound as good as Nexgen does, actually it could sound,well, even inferior to NexGen. Player101 was and has been designed primarily for internet streaming,as well as LPFM's. Player101 is a great stable product, but it is not NexGen! It a stripped down version, so to speak. We really recommend NexGen over Player101 for radio stations. This a very robust system that has been time tested and is used by many professional stations worldwide.That being said, Player101 is a fantastic piece of software, for the price, It allows you to add modules at your convenience without the big one time out of pocket expense! A lot of LPFM's have chosen player101 as their preferred method of play out. Most professional stations use NexGen , MPEG1 Layer 2 compression setting of 5:1, and AudioScience cards.If you want that "pro sound" NexGen is the way to go.We offer discounts to upgrade if you already have already purchased Player101. If you would like I can help you with any questions or even direct you as to where and who to talk to about purchasing NexGen.Hope this helps. Good Luck!

And even a poster here stated earlier "NexGen has (what I would consider) the best playout when it comes to audioscience cards. The 101 software uses the windows-compatible playout so there could definitely be some noticeable differences, which you have seen." This poster is correct, you my friend are wrong!

I must admit it took support quite a long time to email me back. But I am thankful. I would rather listen to the people that make the product than someone who can't even make his point, "...oftentimes it's the hardware...and oftentimes, it's the user. There may very well be less than stellar support with Nexgen these days, can't answer to that...but I've [never] known Prophet, anyway, to put out a darn fine product and stand behind it 100%

I never ,ever, said this either ::)"Another poster made the comment about 101 sounding crappier than regular Nexgen" as you just stated. If you did a search you would know that I have hands down supported RCS when others criticized them. ;)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom