• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Worst songs on country radio

I can still despise the songs if I want.

My country station recently played "Turn the World Around" by Eddy Arnold. Not country, but good.

I was watching a film on the life of Johnny Cash. They showed him at a country music awards show hosted by Roy Rogers and Dale Evans. As is true today, the music played (no hits, just background music for introductions) wasn't country. It was big band.

All the music on that show was good. I didn't like this one young kid Mr. Cash listened to. But Mr. Cash said he had talent and he'd help him.

Interesting how much respect that all had for prisoners. They treated them just like people, and appreciated how the prisoners enjoyed their performances so much. I say this because so many letters to the editor and online comments make the case that if you did something to end up in prison, you should be treated like dirt and have no rights whatsoever.

The Cash-Carter family was right.

Reese Witherspoon, as deserving as she was when she won that Oscar, was nothing like June Carter.

I'm not a huge fan of Toby's "American Ride" and really don't like Tim McGraw's new song"It's A Business Doing Pleasure With You."

Is it just me, or has Tim lost a few steps in the last few years?

EclecticInTexas said:
I'm not a huge fan of Toby's "American Ride" and really don't like Tim McGraw's new song"It's A Business Doing Pleasure With You."

Is it just me, or has Tim lost a few steps in the last few years?

I have noticed that most artists in all genres of music tend to have their best work early in their career and go down from there. Once they hit it big they lose some of the hunger to make great music.

Timmy's been working on honing his acting chops too... He's got a new movie... The Blind Side with Sandra Bullock. He was in Four Christmases with Reese Witherspoon and Vince Vaughn, last year...

On to bigger and better!

vchimpanzee said:

Ok, I know you do not like today's country music. Thats fine, alot of "older" people who grew up listening to country back in the 60's and 70's do not like its current incarnation. But what is the point of you coming on this board and complaining and moaning about it. There is no point. NOTHING is going to change, that was then, this is now. You may not like it, but I can assure you that a heck of a lot of people do. I check the ratings in the major markets, and there is always a counTry station in the top 10, and the classic country stations (if there are even any in the market) are getting shareS in the 1's or less. The reason why some people hate the format today is because of what it sounded like back then. Now more and more people are listening because of what it sounds like today. Basically all I am trying to say is quit complaining and just get over it. That was then, this is NOW. and nothing ever stays the same, especially the radio and music industry.

Mac Daddy said:
vchimpanzee said:

Ok, I know you do not like today's country music. Thats fine, alot of "older" people who grew up listening to country back in the 60's and 70's do not like its current incarnation. But what is the point of you coming on this board and complaining and moaning about it. There is no point. NOTHING is going to change, that was then, this is now. You may not like it, but I can assure you that a heck of a lot of people do. I check the ratings in the major markets, and there is always a counTry station in the top 10, and the classic country stations (if there are even any in the market) are getting shareS in the 1's or less. The reason why some people hate the format today is because of what it sounded like back then. Now more and more people are listening because of what it sounds like today. Basically all I am trying to say is quit complaining and just get over it. That was then, this is NOW. and nothing ever stays the same, especially the radio and music industry.
Some of us do have good country stations, but for those that don't, we don't have any way to listen to country music by just turning on the radio. So of course we're going to complain.

carolinaradio said:
The "keep the faith" song vchimpanzee was referring to would be Miley Cyrus - The Climb.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NG2zyeVRcbs
That would explain a lot.

A good reason for my pointing out what songs are the worst is the fact that until three years agom, I had a clock radio stay on for two hours each weekday morning just to make sure I didn't turn it off the wrong way. I took that risk on weekends, but if I didn't turn it off, I knew it would come back on for Paul Harvey each morning at 8:30. If I did it the wrong way, sometimes I missed the beginning of the show because I didn't realize it was time.

I don't remember precisely when I started doing this. I know I had to start using a second clock radio in 2002 when the new onwer of another Paul Harvey station, the one I listen to now, moved the "Rest of the Story" broadcast from 3 to 7:30. At some point I found out the show was back on at 3 as well. But I preferred the country music--it was a station that played the legends as well as the new stuff--so for the 8:30 broadcast I listened to that afterward. But it was actually sort of a relief to change to the other station after such garbage as "Gone", "Here for the Party", "Picking Wildflowers" and anything by Rascal Flatts started showing up.

When that station went off the air, I discovered this site when I was doing an Internet search for ranting about it. That was three years ago. The other Paul Harvey station by that time had much better music.

"Summer Nights" by Rascal Flatts. Though I will say it sounds more country than anything they've done before.

There's also a song that seems to have "Moon" in the title. There are a couple more songs I should list but I can never remember them when I need to.

I can't stand The Climb either.

One of my favorites right now is Brooks and Dunn (with Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top)'s "Honky Tonk Stomp". It's rock music, but it's an OK party song.

-crainbebo

"Summer Nights" from Rascal Flatts-- When Gary says "Y'all" it makes me want to drive off a cliff. These guys are from Columbus, Ohio. I'm just sayin'...

I heard one of their older songs the other night. It could have pased for country except these guys think they're 'N Sync.

One of the absolute worst songs is "Honky Tonk Badonkadonk". Paarts of it DO sound country, but you can't have just the good parts.

I had to wait a long time to pay my phone/Internet bill and they have this country video channel playing. Since they sell Dish as well. I suppose the Taylor Swift song that was playing wasn't SO bad. Does she actually need glasses (obviously she would wear contacts most of the time if she did) or were they just a prop?

"You Belong with Me s getting on my last nerve. You hear it EVERYWHERE!

It's not that bad, but it's not good either.

Hearing Kid Rock on my local country stations makes me want to rip my radio out of the dashboard and throw it off a cliff. Gee, thanks Hank Williams Jr. for telling Kid Rock he had a chance in country music.

sdh483 said:
Hearing Kid Rock on my local country stations makes me want to rip my radio out of the dashboard and throw it off a cliff. Gee, thanks Hank Williams Jr. for telling Kid Rock he had a chance in country music.
Well, not everything Hank Jr. does is perfect.

I hear him all the time on my country station.

Anything current,I can count on one hand and two fingers of some good songs played now on the radio, It's so annoying,to see country going to the skids.Thats like back in the late 80's early 90's rap ruined pop mainstream music.now I gave up tuning in my local station , Now I call it Rocktry,Poptry oh my god Raptry music.I dont like the direction that country music is going today ,but that the way it goes.

Wazzie said:
"Summer Nights" from Rascal Flatts-- When Gary says "Y'all" it makes me want to drive off a cliff. These guys are from Columbus, Ohio. I'm just sayin'...

Gary has the reddest neck of anyone in the state of Ohio. When he's not on stage, this guy lives in camo, chews tobacco, and hunts big game.

I make him an honorary redneck.

My biggest beef with country music is songs that mention other artists and songs. I know they think they're relating to the listener, but I think it's the laziest trick in the songwriter's book.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom