• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Thicker and wider //Pulse 87

John, you were the one that skewed this argument towards music. I was only talking about a commercial. What makes the Britney argument tough is the technicalities (another radio board is having a FIELD DAY with this) of the words, though clearly everyone knows what she is saying here. Radio hopped on it and there you go. I turn the dial elsewhere with my daughter in the car. If we're going to go there, radio should have been a bit more responsible on it (any station) but the "technicality" is the excuse. A song like this goes through, yet when the whole Chris Brown "allegedly" beating up on Rihanna happened, most radio stations pulled everything Chris Brown. Radio wants to send out a clear message on domestic violence as a "responsibility" to their audience, and yet play a track like Britney? Hypocritical, I say.

First off, I didn't "skew" anything. I simply asked your "opinion" on sexually suggestive songs as you are outraged about this commerical airing when it did. Since both are elements of a radio station I wanted to see why one would be acceptable to you and not the other.

You wrote that the Britney song was controversial before radio aired it and I still don't see how that matters or addresses any of the talking points here. If a station is playing a song that is controversial because of it being suggestive, how does that effect who hears it or when? Answer: it really doesn't.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The fact of the matter is a commercial airs when it airs, the same with music. It relates totally to this discussion because being that you wanted to skew this music, deflecting the original argument about the commercial, people do call in a station and request a track and it could be Britney. Unless something new developed (I don't know, technology, people's tastes or something...), I haven't heard of anyone making a request to an on air personality to hear a commercial. The gist of what I had said...SOLELY keeping to the commercial aspect which was the point to begin with, was the fact that ANY radio station that aired the growth spot should do so from 10P - 6A, so as to keep it away from children since it deals with mature subject matter. If my daughter was up past 11PM and that commercial aired, then I would have absolutely NO right to criticize on it airing...then it becomes, what the heck is your 5 year old daughter doing up past bedtime! And if Pulse or any station wanted to run a 30 minute "infomercial" on this spot at the late night of hours, I say go for it...and if it earns them money, then fantastic! No complaints. Radio is a business....I've understood that the longest.

You came out and implied that the difference between suggestive commercials and songs is that commercials aren't requested, I didn't say that you did. And once again, I ask what does that have to do with any of this discussion? If a song or commerical is "sexually suggestive" what do requests have to do with the airing time? The answer is nothing. Yes, someone could call in and request a song but it could still air anytime that a parent may have a child present and find it objectionable. So lets try this again, are you as against "sexually suggestive" songs as you are commercials with a child present?

As for the time frame that you suggested "suggestive" or "blunt" material be aired, I ask you to go back and re-read what you wrote. You felt that after 8pm was appropriate until I gave you the FCC ruling. ;)

If people are bored with this, I'll be happy to take my end of the discussion off the board and do it P2P.

jp

PS - Jimi, is it ever too late to have a discussion on selective censorship, morality or obscenity issues? C'mon, where's that rebel spirit? :)

I suppose you are correct, and having been a victim of selective censorship myself, ON with the show.......

I'll keep this short and sweet for everyone.

1. YES, against sexually suggestive songs with a young child present. When a child is old enough whereas they have questions, I would address it.
2. FCC ruling, stand corrected...10PM

And one fast note, since Jimi brought it up...good point, BTW, when Donna Summer came out with "Love To Love You Baby" I was 9, 'KTU didn't come out yet but I did hear the track on WABC. Perhaps it was a different time but I had NO idea about the moans in the track so I never asked about it. It was when 'KTU played the extended version a few years later, I then "got it". Then again I was 12 and was getting curious. Still young, but starting to understand things. And my father did explain it to me.

If you want to go P2P John, I'm fine with it.

Kelly Lynn Daniels is back on Pulse 87! I can only hope Mega Media's wallet is getting thicker and wider.

ppl pay pulse87 to advertise those ads.. i know someone that works with them for the advertising.. she's a customer at my job

It's been back since the beg-a-thon. Mega Media needs the money, so let her explain the benefits of being thick and wide!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom