Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 101

Thread: Soon! The coming Talk Radio tsunami...

  1. #11

    Amen!

    Quote Originally Posted by Silkie
    people are tired of having information thrown at them from any direction.
    AGREE.
    That's a-lot-of what-I-was-getting-at i.e., make programming as-participatory-as-possible.

    The reason I asked that other poster to re-send me "skyrocketing" and "freefall" is because I don't remember using those terms.

    And I also agree with your point about viewpoint topics being overdone.
    Two stations I'm in-the-process-of flipping music-to-Talk will be apolitical, i.e., Dave Ramsey/Clark Howard/Dr. Laura.

    This Thursday, we'll witness the clout of Dave Ramsey.
    Listeners-to-affiliated-stations-I-consult are devotees to Howards' nerdy/authengic-sounding Clark-Smart shtick.
    And perceptual research I've seen demonstrates that Schlessinger has nine lives.

    Now Ed Schultz' radio show will benefit from his MSNBC exposure.

    Yet, for all the affiliates just-those-four already have, 400 in Ramsey's case, these shows are still available in many markets. So there's product for another talker in many cities. But probably not two.

    Good afternoon from NAB2009, Las Vegas,

    HC
    www.HollandCooke.com

  2. #12

    Re: Amen!

    Quote Originally Posted by Holland Cooke
    Quote Originally Posted by Silkie
    people are tired of having information thrown at them from any direction.
    AGREE.
    That's a-lot-of what-I-was-getting-at i.e., make programming as-participatory-as-possible.

    The reason I asked that other poster to re-send me "skyrocketing" and "freefall" is because I don't remember using those terms.

    And I also agree with your point about viewpoint topics being overdone.
    Two stations I'm in-the-process-of flipping music-to-Talk will be apolitical, i.e., Dave Ramsey/Clark Howard/Dr. Laura.

    This Thursday, we'll witness the clout of Dave Ramsey.
    Listeners-to-affiliated-stations-I-consult are devotees to Howards' nerdy/authengic-sounding Clark-Smart shtick.
    And perceptual research I've seen demonstrates that Schlessinger has nine lives.

    Now Ed Schultz' radio show will benefit from his MSNBC exposure.

    Yet, for all the affiliates just-those-four already have, 400 in Ramsey's case, these shows are still available in many markets. So there's product for another talker in many cities. But probably not two.

    Good afternoon from NAB2009, Las Vegas,

    HC
    www.HollandCooke.com
    As participatory as possible is the keyword. The structure still has the information being thrown at us, and then people with their take on it. I guess I just prefer to find news and information without having fed to me what someone else considers important. Conversely, you can't just have a free for all, in which people just call all day to discuss what they think about any number of topics. I'm just not impressed with talk radio beyond the information that I get locally. Nationally and internationally I am reasonably well read. A person calling a radio station who concurs with my opinion is, to me, like preaching to the choir. A person calling a radio station with a differing opinion does not have enough time to dissuade me from a well thought out position that I have taken in my own mind and heart.
    No irony there.

  3. #13

    Re: Amen!

    Quote Originally Posted by Silkie
    As participatory as possible is the keyword...you can't just have a free for all, in which people just call all day to discuss what they think about any number of topics.
    YAH-mon!

    Although I don't remember writing "skyrocketing" and "free-fall," I sure do remember urging that (and this'll be familiar HC lore to talent who suffers my direction on-an-ongoing-basis) the host's job is to conceive (topic choice), conduct (technique), and BARELY-control the on-air conversation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Silkie
    I'm just not impressed with talk radio beyond the information that I get locally. Nationally and internationally I am reasonably well read.
    If you don't already, you should hear the daily shortform "newscast" that The New York Times puts-up, free, on iTunes.
    It's EXCELLENT.

  4. #14

    Re: Soon! The coming Talk Radio tsunami...

    A person calling a radio station with a differing opinion does not have enough time to dissuade me from a well thought out position that I have taken in my own mind and heart.
    Especially not when the host is arguing with the caller all the way.

    Hannity, anyone?

    And, for the record, Twitter and SMS (text) messages don't qualify as participatory.

    ESPN Radio, anyone?
    "Its music what makes a radio station, and at Live FM, we play the last music around."
    After receiving that copy, I quit the VO industry.

  5. #15

    Re: Amen!

    Quote Originally Posted by Silkie
    As participatory as possible is the keyword.
    Riiiiiight! Instead of listening to a blathering blowhard opine his personal thoughts I'd much rather listen to a bunch of insomniac trailer park wackos vent.

    Reminds me of a fist fight in the school playground.

    Radio of the future? Don't think so!
    Illegitimi non carborundum

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    11,139

    Re: Soon! The coming Talk Radio tsunami...

    Holland, I was referencing this and the thread it was attached to "Real Dangerous Thinking: Listners tune in to hear compelling hosts". No, you did not use the words "free-fall" or "skyrockert" but you did imply that once we reconvened on may 26, the talk radio landscape will have changed, and to me anyway, that meant that the current talkers would be substantially losing audiecne and a new "caller-driven" variety would be taking off.




    "I should clarify.
    You don't need to believe me if it's not comfortable to.

    Just make a note on your calendar: May 26, 2009, six months from now.

    Let's all reconvene here and see how "The I-I-I Me-Me-Me I-Talk-You-Listen-Democrats-Bad-Republicans-Good Show" is doing then.

    We can also check some stock prices.

    Meantime, you can marginalize what-I-am-merely-reporting-here as "assertions," rather than data.
    But you do so at-the-risk-of counting-peanuts-instead-of-elephants.
    NOT an opinion:
    November 4, while Republican Radio ranted, the Democrat with the best Facebook page won.

    The notion others cling-to here that people will FIRST stop-what-they're-doing-so-we-can-tell-them-how-WE-feel...THEN interact-with-each-other-about-it is as antique as it is arrogant. Radio sure DOES feel threatened by the societal shift from cram-downs-from The Authorities to the new tech-enabled democracy.

    But maybe you missed the story week-before-last about Google.
    Google is now 7-10 days AHEAD OF The Centers for Disease Control at spotting flu outbreaks, based on Search."



    As far as the "tsunami" it could well happen, butg I'm not sure I can envision four or five viable FM talkers in most markets. If we break the available formats down top conservative talk, liberal talk, advice/info talk, sports talk, and maybe lifestyle talk and Urban talk..then religious talk/teaching that's first a lot of content to find, and I can see stations going from a 15 share with music to a one share overnight. KLSX's format went by the wayside; I don't know what's really there to replace it. Where I live we have a dominant AM/FM simulocast news talker (Morning News, Boortz, Rush, Hannity, Howard, Savage, C2C), two sports talkers, one of which is simulcast on a second frequency and mostly doesn't even get a one share, an Urban AM that does a couple of talk shows, plus WLW blasting in from down the road. (I'll also note that Cincy's FM talker was less than gangbusters as well as their "love talk" liberal station (I guess if conservative talk is "hate talk" than presumably liberal talk is "love talk". I'd think most of our established music stations will bite the bullet, but certainly I can see some of the flankers going talk. I suppose someone could pick up Glenn Beck, Dave Ramsey and Dr. Laura.

    Should be some opportunities for talent who can take advantage of it, but you'll be producing it yourself and syndicating it, not becoming a station employee.

  7. #17

    Good evening from NAB2009/Las Vegas

    Quote Originally Posted by landtuna
    a bunch of insomniac trailer park wackos
    Hey, be nice.
    Those are "Arbitron diarykeepers."
    Some are probably the 100+ AQH/week P1s who can move a station's rank.

    Quote Originally Posted by gr8oldies
    Holland, I was referencing this...No, you did not use the words "free-fall" or "skyrockert" but you did imply that once we reconvened on may 26, the talk radio landscape will have changed
    At-the-risk-of sounding like an ex-high school English teacher:
    Only a speaker can imply; only a listener can infer.

    So we've established that the "free-fall" and "skyrocket" business WAS inference, you-putting-words-in-my-mouth.

    RE the-radio-landscape-changing-by-May 26, and "We can also check some stock prices?"
    Though we've still got a month to go, here are just a couple of headlines from the past five months:

    The company that owns WGN filed for bankruptcy.

    The company that owns all-of-the-following hit a ONE PENNY share price and got kicked-off the NYSE:
    - WABC/WPLJ, New York
    - KABC/KLOS, Los Angeles
    - WLS/WZZN, Chicago
    - WBAP/KSCS/KPMZ, Dallas
    - WJR/WDRQ/WDVD, Detroit
    - KGO/KSFO, San Francisco
    - WMAL/WJZW/WRQX, Washington
    - WKHX/WYAY, Atlanta
    - and others, a total of 165 FMs, 58 AMs
    - ABC Radio Networks
    - The Sean Hannity Show
    - Imus In The Morning
    - ESPN Radio
    - Etc.

    And you may have read about several firings.

    RE "November 4, while Republican Radio ranted, the Democrat with the best Facebook page won:"

    Did I miss a re-count?
    Or are we debating whether McCain's Facebook page was better than Obama's?

    Quote Originally Posted by gr8oldies
    As far as the "tsunami" it could well happen, butg I'm not sure I can envision four or five viable FM talkers in most markets.
    Can you show me where, up above, or anywhere else, I said THAT?
    Or is that also your inference?

    Hey, I hope radio CAN stave-off this music royalty thing.
    NAB President David Rehr says "over my dead body."
    And my Beatles necktie got compliments from several NAB execs at their Leadership Reception at the Bellagio an hour ago.

    But some music stations aren't willing to sit-out the suspense.
    And THOSE stations are picking what's-left-of the-low-hanging-fruit of syndicated talk longform.
    Snooze, lose.
    And I'm SAYING SO, not just implying that.
    Please DO remind me later that I did.

    HC
    www.HollandCooke.com

  8. #18

    Re: Soon! The coming Talk Radio tsunami...

    Quote Originally Posted by gr8oldies
    Holland, I was referencing this and the thread it was attached to "Real Dangerous Thinking: Listners tune in to hear compelling hosts". No, you did not use the words "free-fall" or "skyrockert" but you did imply that once we reconvened on may 26, the talk radio landscape will have changed, and to me anyway, that meant that the current talkers would be substantially losing audiecne and a new "caller-driven" variety would be taking off.




    "I should clarify.
    You don't need to believe me if it's not comfortable to.

    Just make a note on your calendar: May 26, 2009, six months from now.

    Let's all reconvene here and see how "The I-I-I Me-Me-Me I-Talk-You-Listen-Democrats-Bad-Republicans-Good Show" is doing then.

    We can also check some stock prices.

    Meantime, you can marginalize what-I-am-merely-reporting-here as "assertions," rather than data.
    But you do so at-the-risk-of counting-peanuts-instead-of-elephants.
    NOT an opinion:
    November 4, while Republican Radio ranted, the Democrat with the best Facebook page won.

    The notion others cling-to here that people will FIRST stop-what-they're-doing-so-we-can-tell-them-how-WE-feel...THEN interact-with-each-other-about-it is as antique as it is arrogant. Radio sure DOES feel threatened by the societal shift from cram-downs-from The Authorities to the new tech-enabled democracy.

    But maybe you missed the story week-before-last about Google.
    Google is now 7-10 days AHEAD OF The Centers for Disease Control at spotting flu outbreaks, based on Search."



    As far as the "tsunami" it could well happen, butg I'm not sure I can envision four or five viable FM talkers in most markets. If we break the available formats down top conservative talk, liberal talk, advice/info talk, sports talk, and maybe lifestyle talk and Urban talk..then religious talk/teaching that's first a lot of content to find, and I can see stations going from a 15 share with music to a one share overnight. KLSX's format went by the wayside; I don't know what's really there to replace it. Where I live we have a dominant AM/FM simulocast news talker (Morning News, Boortz, Rush, Hannity, Howard, Savage, C2C), two sports talkers, one of which is simulcast on a second frequency and mostly doesn't even get a one share, an Urban AM that does a couple of talk shows, plus WLW blasting in from down the road. (I'll also note that Cincy's FM talker was less than gangbusters as well as their "love talk" liberal station (I guess if conservative talk is "hate talk" than presumably liberal talk is "love talk". I'd think most of our established music stations will bite the bullet, but certainly I can see some of the flankers going talk. I suppose someone could pick up Glenn Beck, Dave Ramsey and Dr. Laura.

    Should be some opportunities for talent who can take advantage of it, but you'll be producing it yourself and syndicating it, not becoming a station employee.
    Thank you. Long live gr8oldies!
    No irony there.

  9. #19
    JustPastBuffalo
    Guest

    Re: Soon! The coming Talk Radio tsunami...

    Having worked in music radio and talk radio, I think... ah, screw it. You guys have about covered it. I'm going to log onto Pandora and read a book.

  10. #20

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Lordsburg,New Mexico
    Posts
    332

    Re: Soon! The coming Talk Radio tsunami...

    From a mere listener's point of view: The Record industry shoved narrow,musically tasteless playlists down our throats long ago and rather than notice the total failure of this tactic they simply plodded on. The result was loss of listener interest which led to stations flipping formats to other failed formats. Although people bought albums,tapes and CDs in order to hear what they wanted the companies continued to act as if they were going broke. How is this possible? They made money from the SALE of music!!! Why strongarm radio stations to play overblown 'hits' that only made the charts due to the forced play?? They cannot have it both ways. My two favorite radio stations were flipped a few years back thanks to corporate thinking. Will this force me to conform to corporate thinking? No it did not and will not. When the Talk Radio Tsunami hits I will already have been gone from the disaster zone. I listen(ed) to radio for music and music only. I have purchased MANY dozens of albums,now CDs, since the days of Wolfman Jack and they were never,ever the ones being shoved down my throat. It is not the fault of consumers that corporations lack the common sense or foresight,or even hindsight, to realize they built an empire of crap. So...other countries radio pays for music? Fine. Other countries also deny people the slightest of human rights,regularly behead citizens,imprison the innocent and revere the homicidal leaders. Get another example. This is WDLS : signing off the airwaves with a Big F. You to the Record industry.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

     
Useful Contacts
Community


123