FM Broadcast Band in China - 76-108 MHz
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FM Broadcast Band in China - 76-108 MHz

FM Broadcast Band in China - 76-108 MHz

I noticed in looking at the latest World FM logs at www.fmlist.org that it would appear that at least 20 stations in China are now listed on frequencies between 78 and 87.5 MHz. Noting that China never used the old Soviet Bloc OIRT band, has that country began expanding the FM band below 87.5?

I ask this as it is speculated that an expansion of the American FM band to 76 MHz (or lower) after the DTV transition is complete would help relieve overcrowding on the FM band. Most Japanese radios tune the entire 76-108 spectrum, and if the PRC (where most consumer electronics are made anyway) expands their own FM band, it might make an American FM expansion a more feasible reality.

Re: FM Broadcast Band in China - 76-108 MHz

I don't see why not. Expanding the FM band down to 76 MHz worldwide just makes more sense overall for everybody........
    The president of Puerto Rico really sucks.

I believe Japan also uses the lower part of the FM band as well.

Quote Originally Posted by elchupacabras
    That's right Mr. Chupacabra. And here's a fresh young, extra juicy and super tasty goat for ya!....

Their FM band runs from 76-90 MHz. They go to 108 MHz for listening to FM stations abroad. Their analog VHF TV band took up 90-108 MHz so it was also pretty convenient. But I don't think ANY TV in Japan is broadcast in analog anymore.

China and other Asian countries go across the 76-108 FM spectrum, most usually stay within 88-108 though. There are even stations in Australia that dip WELL BELOW 88 MHz now...

Like I said, FM needs to start taking over these frequencies ASAP in this hemisphere to transplant AMs and lighten up the congestion (especially in Puget Sound! It's getting ridiculous here.....)

Wanna hear a cool Japanese FM station online?:

Shonan Beach FM 78.9:

http://www.simulradio.jp/asx/shonanbeachfm.asx (complete with live outdoor webcam feed)

http://www.beachfm.co.jp/index_e.html

More cool online Japanese FM stations here:

http://www.simulradio.jp
    The president of Puerto Rico really sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bongwater
    China and other Asian countries go across the 76-108 FM spectrum, most usually stay within 88-108 though. There are even stations in Australia that dip WELL BELOW 88 MHz now...

Like I said, FM needs to start taking over these frequencies ASAP in this hemisphere to transplant AMs and lighten up the congestion (especially in Puget Sound! It's getting ridiculous here.....)
    I had never noticed any stations below 87.5 in the PRC before, but fmlist.org shows stations as low as 78.3 MHz. I hadn't heard of any expansion of the BCB in China, so perhaps it was done quietly or as part of their DTV transition.

As for Australia, how low of a freq are you referring to? The lowest that fmlist.org shows is 87.6. Do you have any links to stations that are broadcasting below that?

XxDjHeXeRxX

More cool online Japanese FM stations here:

http://www.simulradio.jp

do you know of any pages in english?? or how can i translate with safari 4?

That's right Mr. Chupacabra. And here's a fresh young, extra juicy and super tasty goat for ya!....
    Thanks! It was delicious!

TV in Japan is still in the lower band in analog, I'm playing with a few Japanese webtuners and the one in Tokyo is getting NHK 1 and 2 audio at 95.75 and 107.75 MHz (Not sure which is which)

The tuner in Nagano has one of the NHK stations at 101.75 though I can't get an audio stream working there.

When Japan turns off Analog in 2011

Would the Japanese FM band move to 88-108 or stay at 76-90??

Since most Japanese-spec FM receivers tune continuously from 76-108, the FM band may expand, but I don't see it relocating.

I had originally wondered if a precedent had been set with a country expanding their FM band.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast