• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The Beautiful Music Format - Ok in the 1960s but not today

Speaking as a "babyboomer" nearing 65, neither I nor anybody I knew growing up in the Sixties listened to B/EZ-------------ever. This was our parents music . By my guess, the average B/EZ listener when these stations dominated would be at least 90 by now. If over 54 is a hard sell, what is 90?

What is really depressing is hearing music by the origional artists , that were once the slightly softer side of WABC or KHJ, now played in elevators and other confining places. First dentists played B/EZ, then Soft AC, but now HOT AC or Classic Hits. Getting old is such a drag.

DavidEduardo said:
KevinFodor said:
Interestingly enough, though...in markets in places such as Florida and Arizona (where the population percentages of older citizens are greater than most cities, a version of the format, now called "Dove" by many programmers exists...and can thrive. But, it's come a long way from the "elevator music" days of old.

The only "Dove" I know is WDUV in the Tampa Bay market... #1 12+, but no significant listeners under 65. It is 14th, which is terrible, in billings.

I've never heard a soft / traditional AC called "The Dove" format... and I was a programmer for Beautiful Music in the past. There are scant few formats even close to The Dove, anyway, although Flagstaff / Prescott has a true Beautiful Music station, KAHM.

David:

Not to argue, but if the billing is bad, and the demos are crap, why does a company such as Cox (which is not known) for running "Dog" radio stations...keep it on the air?

And what are your sources for station billing information when Miller-Kaplan only shows "group" revenues?

DavidEduardo said:
The only "Dove" I know is WDUV in the Tampa Bay market... #1 12+, but no significant listeners under 65. It is 14th, which is terrible, in billings.

I've never heard a soft / traditional AC called "The Dove" format... and I was a programmer for Beautiful Music in the past. There are scant few formats even close to The Dove, anyway, although Flagstaff / Prescott has a true Beautiful Music station, KAHM.

There are two stations in the Sarasota/Bradenton, FL market calling themselves "The Dove". WSDV 1450 in Sarasota and WDDV 1320 in Venice simulcast their "nostalgia" format, Sinatra at Six, etc.. These are both CC properties, not Cox. I barely hear them where I live but have listended when driving down the I-75 corridor so I cant even guess if they are doing any "live and local" or its off the bird. Perhaps CC is packaging this format for wide distribution too. Any locals have any insight on this?

One Who Knows said:
Not to argue, but if the billing is bad, and the demos are crap, why does a company such as Cox (which is not known) for running "Dog" radio stations...keep it on the air?

And what are your sources for station billing information when Miller-Kaplan only shows "group" revenues?

I have no idea why Cox keeps it. Perhaps, since WDUV is a C1 and not centered in the metro, it is the best use. Likely it is cheap to run, and consistely, although not massively, profitable.

Data is from BIA, which has its own methods for approximating station revenue.

May I speak in defense of The Dove?

A recent R&R Ratings Report (I think it's a year and a half old) shows that in the Tampa Bay market, The Dove is ALWAYS #1 12+ but also #1 among 35-64 listeners. So David Eduardo is wrong about every listener being 65+. I'll conceed that probably most listeners are 50+ since the station doesn't do well 25-54. Live audio streaming at www.wduv.com

The Dove evolved in the 90s from one of the last easy listening stations in a large market (50% vocal, 50% instrumental) to a VERY soft AC format that played the easy hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s. So that meant mostly soft Beatles, Beach Boys, Lionel Richie, Elton John, Dionne Warwick, Billy Joel, etc. with an occasional hit by some nostalgia artists (Sinatra, Andy Williams, Dean Martin). After all, WABC and KHJ would play those artists if they scored a Top 40 hit in the 60s and 70s. We accepted those artists once in a while as we listened to Top 40 radio growing up. Something Stupid with Frank & Nancy Sinatra and The Candy Man by Sammy Davis were giant hits in their day.

But today the Dove, in an effort to stay at the top in the 35-64 demo has pretty much eliminated all pre-Beatles titles and any song that might be considered "nostalgia." I think all the Sinatra and Dean Martin has been deleted. Some Streisand, Bette Midler and Neil Diamond songs remain, since even Lite-FM in NYC and KOST in LA were playing these artists up till a couple of years ago. I think "It's Impossible" by Perry Como is still in slow rotation.

The Dove once per hour (around :35) plays an instrumental but it's not the Mantovanni version of "Michelle." It's usually a song heard on a Smooth Jazz station or maybe the theme from a famous movie like Forrest Gump or Driving Miss Daisy. "The Love Theme from Romeo and Juliet" by Henry Mancini is playing as I write this. It was #1 on WABC for a week in 1969.

No, I imagine the Dove doesn't bring in the big bucks. A few years ago, Cox switched it to a lesser signal in the Tampa market with a Classic Rock station getting the better 103.5 signal. Yet its audience followed it to the new frequency, 105.5, licensed to New Port Richey, about 20 miles north of Tampa. Yet the station still shows up in the ratings in markets many miels away, usually #4 in Sarasota and also showing in the Winter Haven-Lakeland ratings. I'm sure those listeners are tuning into the Dove, with static and in mono, because there's no other station that plays their music.

Interestingly, Cox also owns another Soft AC in the Tampa market, WWRM, which also evolved from Easy Listening, although years before The Dove did it. But WWRM today is programmed much like a Soft AC in most markets, meaning it isn't that soft anymore and DJs talk over some song intros. That station co-exists with the Dove, usually as #1 among 25-54 females.

Cox owns these stations as well as rock stations in Tampa, even two stations that have competing Classic Rock formats, one hard-edged, one more pop-leaning. So I guess having one Cox station aimed at the 35-64 audience that runs on a shoe-string is not a bad thing. Cox has no AM station in the market so I guess The Dove duplicates the ratings of a good AM News-Talk station... #1 12+, #1 35-64 but not good in younger demos. The only employee is morning host Dick Ring. He even reads his own news headlines in the morning. The station is automated the rest of the day and all weekend. I don't have access to any earnings statements but it sounds like they run the usual amount of commercials. Of course, most of them are local mom-and-pop retailers aiming at mature customers, with a few regional accounts. We're not going to hear ads for Taco Bell or Budweiser on The Dove.

Cox has owned and operated the station all these years and I assume if it stays at #1 12+ and #1 35-64, it's safe from a format change. When I look at some stations in big markets around the country that CONSISTANTLY generate poor ratings and little profit, I wonder why more group owners don't put a station like The Dove on an underperforming signal. It won't be the market's biggest earner but it won't be the worst either.

Gregg
[email protected]

DavidEduardo said:
I have no idea why Cox keeps it. Perhaps, since WDUV is a C1 and not centered in the metro, it is the best use. Likely it is cheap to run, and consistely, although not massively, profitable.

Look at the demographics of Florida's suncoast. I would guess that even when the snowbirds are not in town, the median age is well over 50. Plenty of businesses looking to reach this crowd.

Probably wouldn't work in more youthful markets, but in an area heavy on retirees it makes sense.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom