• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Dance mixshow on Connecticut's Kiss 95.7

nd2023

Walk of Fame Participant
Matt Darey has an awesome mixshow airing right now on Kiss 95.7. Sounds similar to the mixshow I heard in Tampa on 'FLZ. All night, they have been playing dance music and pop remixes. Now, after 1 am, it seems like they're playing pure dance and no pop remixes.
I wish Z100 or KTU followed Kiss 95.7 and had this kind of mixshow.

The people in Connecticut/Southwestern Massachusetts want this! :)

From New Haven to Springfield and everywhere in between, you have MANY colleges. There's certainly a diverse mixture of population in the region; one that could certainly be open to a current-based dance formatted station in the Hartford/New Haven area. As a matter of, I remember in the early 90's where Kiss 95.7 sounded more like a Hot 103/97 NYC style station than competing against CHR's KC-101.

For those along the coast by New Haven, they can pull in Party 105 (except near Bridgeport where some low-powered classical station has to "step" on the signal >: ). Though I think for Connecticut and the part of Massachusetts near Springfield, a station like this can work!

Now watch as I say this and a "Movin" format arrives ???

Tony Santiago said:
As a matter of, I remember in the early 90's where Kiss 95.7 sounded more like a Hot 103/97 NYC style station than competing against CHR's KC-101.

Both Kiss 95.7 and 96 TIC were pretty much Top 40/Dance in the early 90s. They had huge ratings and cume.
KC 101 has never been much of a player in Hartford, but has always done well in the areas it targets, ie New Haven and Bridgeport.

Kiss in Conn. was my favorite station in New England back in the day. I remember hearing Paul hardcastle's Rain Forest on that station back in the eighties and bugging out. Man i think i just seriously dated myself lol. Man i'm getting old.

Nick said:
The Boston area has over 30 colleges alone, what happened to Star 93.7?

I remember when Jamn in the early ninety's had some crazy fresh House mixes with the Mass. Pool DJ's. I wish Jamn would do those mixes again. As far as star well they had to pay Big O's salary some how. So fire all the djs and create a glorified i-pod with low overhead. :-\

Nick said:
The Boston area has over 30 colleges alone, what happened to Star 93.7?

I did hear Star 93.7 on my travels to Providence and New Bedford. At the time I never thought a station could sound worse than 'KTU did during the early 00's (outside of Vic Latino's show). Star 93.7 DID IT! ???

I'll give credit to 'KTU where it was due, they might have played 4 current/recent recurrent tracks an hour whereas it seemed as if Star 93.7 played 1 or 2 per hour! And you're right Nick, for a city like Boston with the multitude of colleges, young professionals, a club scene within and OUTSIDE of 128, a station like Star COULD have stepped it up and play more currents.

Right now, someone in Boston wants to start up a coalition like I have down here! It's all in the talking stages but I think people in the area should fight for a dance station in the area too! They can't use 87.7 there because Providence has an ABC affiliate (WLNE) on Channel 6.

What the heck...I'll date myself too. I did like Kiss 108 back in the 90's when it was Top 40/Dance! :)

Kiss 108 was an amazing station back in the day. When Sunny Joe White programmed it in the 80s and 90s he just had a knack of playing a lot of great records, taking chances on a lot of records, and playing a healthy dose of Dance. It was very Dance friendly, yet still a true CHR/Pop station. It had such a great big city sound, and music-wise was pretty unique especially when compared with rival WZOU 94.5.
I'd compare it with the current sound of Z-103.5 Toronto.

I can't wait until the day when someone comes in with a Z103.5 concept for Dance music in America and licenses it out to stations all over the country just like the smart people behind Movin' did.

I mean, Movin' is really threading the needle: Is there REALLY a need for the lost Rhytmic Gold hits of the last 20 years in any market in America?

Not really.

But they were obviously good marketers, and now you see the format all over the place.

Let's see some smart people do the same thing for Dance, which is much more viable with more of a library and more relevant new music available than Movin.

Kiss 108 from about 88 to 93 was just plain awesome... I think this is where Open house Party fist aired locally, but was soon syndicated... OHP was very Dance heavy in the late 80s and early 90s. I knew 96 TICs was Dance friendly,, I dont remember Kiss 95.7 being real Dance friendly-Heavy but they definately played all the top 40 cross over stuff, Labouche, Amber Etc.... But most but the very conservative Adult CHRs played those,,, even our ultra conservative WZPL Indy, Q-102 Cinci and WNCI played those songs... Back in like 93-95,,, WZPL, and now Urban Hot 96 where trying to outdance each other...

Also if any of you had the displeasure of hearing B-100 in LA, it was worse than KTU or Star,,,,, Supposed to be Dance, but Kiss and of course Groove Radio where much much better in supporting new dance,, not disco.

Saladressing said:
I can't wait until the day when someone comes in with a Z103.5 concept for Dance music in America and licenses it out to stations all over the country just like the smart people behind Movin' did.

I mean, Movin' is really threading the needle: Is there REALLY a need for the lost Rhytmic Gold hits of the last 20 years in any market in America?

Not really.

But they were obviously good marketers, and now you see the format all over the place.

Let's see some smart people do the same thing for Dance, which is much more viable with more of a library and more relevant new music available than Movin.

YOU NAILED IT SALAD! :) It's all about marketing!

It's just a matter of coming up with some sort of deeper plan regarding how to market this and show the advertisers that money can actually be made by doing the dance/current-rhythmic format. That's why I'm going after colleges/non-commercials first. If that can help create some sort of buzz, such as the three non-comms that are already doing this in their respective markets, then it may just be the way for commercial radio to take notice and look into it.

Then on the music's end, it's really a matter of selling their products out to the general public and that includes actually PUTTING A FACE OF THE ARTIST on the cover. Don't get me wrong, I certainly don't mind looking at a 21 year old hottie in a bikini with her assets popping out. But unless she is singing, I'd rather see who the main people are.

Saladressing said:

I hope so too, Z100 in NYC, B96 in Chicago, Kiss 108 Boston, could be the first to try it...

Norfolk had 1061 the ZONE (CHR), they were very dancy and sounded great and mixshows were awesome and very dancy on Fri/Sat night....signal sucked so ratings were low, and are no higher with the current format on the signal...country as US 106...urgh bring back 1061 the ZONE ! Besides Norfolk still lacks a CHR anyway.

This show on WKSS 95.7 is called BUZZ hosted by Randy Boyer, it airs Sundays from midnight - 4am - featuring mixes from Randy and other monthly resident DJ's. unfortunately the official station website doesn't have any information about the program but you can find out more at http://www.randyboyer.com/buzzradio_page.html

I am one of the resident DJ's on the show and we are working on getting BUZZ it's own website, Randy has been into the idea but we are all very busy it is hard to find the time to set it all up. we definitely need more exposure.

Best regards,
James Williams
[email protected]
www.jameswilliams.us

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom