• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WPLR morning show

rogers

Inactive
Inactive User
Anybody know why Mike Lapatino took over morning show duties this morning? They would normally run a best of during vacation, and I couldnt help but wonder if this was a sign of direction regarding thier expiring contracts. They have been joking/lamenting the fact that no one from management has approached them yet regarding the future, and perhaps today was a glimpse of the future. I really thought it sounded pretty good. Nothing forced about it.

IMHO, I'd rather listen to the best of Chaz & AJ when they are on vacation, instead of Lapatino.

Hopefully, this isn't a sign of the direction 'PLR is going in.

It's bad enough we have Chaz & AJ in the morning, & now Lapatino filling in?

It's bad enough having him doing PM drive.

He's lame, & he says "ah" in between each word he says.

Regarding their expiring contracts, maybe when new PD Scott Laudani comes on board, he'll hopefully clean house of Chaz & AJ, Landry, Lapitino & Prodoti & focus & concentrate on adding more Active Rock songs, as CTListener posts that I-95 (which plays these types of songs) is eroding 'PLRs' listenership & billing.

Actually, don't be surprised if WPLR brings in the syndicated Bubba the Love Sponge show out of Tampa when the time comes. His show currently airs on four or five sister Cox-owned rock stations.

I would even made the same prediction for Long Island's WBAB, although I understand their morning duo of Roger & JP were recently re-upped for another two years. But Bubba in Babylon is still not out of the question...

Good old Jack...I mean amfmradio1...back to trash the staff at Connecticut's #1 rock station...that would be a brilliant move to fire the air staff who have continued to make the station #1 all these years. Good thing you aren't a programmer. You can bet if the research showed that PLR listeners wanted the station to play "active rock" they would have been doing that a long time ago.

As for I95 eroding the ratings/billing of PLR: I95 doesn't even show up in the New Haven ratings...they have NEVER been a factor for PLR. Don't know what you are smoking, Jack.

Hey why not pipe everything in???????? You think the head bangers are really going to care. Give them what they want. Fifty minutes of non-stop rock every hour with no interruption. Chaz & AJ are on borrowed time. ::)

Actually, don't be surprised if WPLR brings in the syndicated Bubba the Love Sponge show

I thought the same thing, but wondered about his previous stint in CT, on the old Radio 104. I'm not so sure he delivered the numbers the station expected, but then again had to compete with Stern on WCCC.
Perhaps the watering down of morning drive talent in the state could bring a different outcome for Bubba

rogers said:
Actually, don't be surprised if WPLR brings in the syndicated Bubba the Love Sponge show

I thought the same thing, but wondered about his previous stint in CT, on the old Radio 104. I'm not so sure he delivered the numbers the station expected, but then again had to compete with Stern on WCCC.
Perhaps the watering down of morning drive talent in the state could bring a different outcome for Bubba
Anyone is better than those two goons. Same old recycled bits. Totally boring radio. But CT listeners eat up like it's pate'. They love it!

I thought Lappy sounded great in mornings..A real natural..Sure I have a slight bias because I know him, like him and respect him a great deal, but he just sounded very very comfortable to me...I have absolutely no idea what will happen at PLR, but if it came to putting Lappy in mornings, to me, that would be a great move....

Cody

Hey "Radio Monkey"

I'm not "Jack" (who ever "Jack" is - don't know why you keep referring to me as him - never was, am not now, nor ever will be "Jack").

Landry, Lapatino & Prodoti (sounds like an Italian law firm) have not continued to make the station #1 after all these years.

You could have anybody on the air - it's the music that matters.

The New Haven mkt. listener has been dumbed down to think that the only Rock music out there is what is programmed on 'PLR.

The station is not always #1.

I am a PD.

The only reason they moniker themselves as "CTs' #1 Rock Station" is because of their signal in the area - there aren't too many Rock stations in the New Haven area that are clear enough for the listeners in the area to listen to, so that's why they're sometime rated #1.

If I-95 & 'CCC were in New Haven, you can bet 'PLR would have more of a battle on their hands.

Right now they're a monopoly.

They have no competition in New Haven, but, in some cities, there are Classic & Active Rockers that battle it out, just like some cities that have two newspapers - sooner or later, one of them is going to win.

Active Rocker 'CCC is rated in the New Haven book.

A lot of people in New Haven listen to the variety & the superior Radio Hosts/Personalities on I-95, because they're sick & tired of listening to 'PLR program Pink Floyd!

amfmradio1 said:
Hey "Radio Monkey"

I'm not "Jack" (who ever "Jack" is - don't know why you keep referring to me as him - never was, am not now, nor ever will be "Jack").

Landry, Lapatino & Prodoti (sounds like an Italian law firm) have not continued to make the station #1 after all these years.

You could have anybody on the air - it's the music that matters.

The New Haven mkt. listener has been dumbed down to think that the only Rock music out there is what is programmed on 'PLR.

The station is not always #1.

I am a PD.

If you are a PD then you know what it's like to bend your hind end over to please know it all consultants. PLR has been playing the same tunes for over 10 years. What's up with that????? There are certain core tunes that wil never go away.
But they could spike some other classic tunes.

okay amfmradio1/PD:

First, you've insulted the New Haven listening audience by calling them ignorant; second, if I95 is pulling so many listeners away from PLR then why is it they are barely a BLIP in the New Haven ratings? If you know anything about the company that owns PLR (Cox Radio) then you know they rely heavily on research and if the research told them active rock was the way to go in New Haven then that would sure as sh*t be what PLR would be programming.

Do you also have a problem with Italians? By the way LANDRY is not an Italian name.

Personally I would LOVE to hear Jack Allen on in mornings at PLR...now THAT would be compelling radio. Do you know how to get in touch with him?

Radio Monkey,

If you are looking for Jack Allen, I heard he was in North Carolina doing overnights at the Food Lion, "Breakage in aisle 4", "Green Giant corn 49 cents"

WPLR is and has always been a joke. Whether it was "Smith and Barber" or "Chaz and AJ," at best they were comparable to college radio. They should just throw an IPod with 800 brunt out classic rock tunes and the listeners wouldn't know the difference. Want a good sounding classic rocker with professional jocks? Try KLOS/Los Angeles.

amfmradio1 said:
Regarding their expiring contracts, maybe when new PD Scott Laudani comes on board, he'll hopefully clean house of Chaz & AJ, Landry, Lapitino & Prodoti & focus & concentrate on adding more Active Rock songs, as CTListener posts that I-95 (which plays these types of songs) is eroding 'PLRs' listenership & billing.

Never said anything of the sort. I was responding to a poster in another thread who had expressed the hope that 'PLR's new program director would expand the playlist despite the fact that the playlist at WAQY Springfield, where that PD used to work, is even tighter than 'PLR's, and was just wondering why he'd program a classic-rocker in the New Haven market any differently from one in the Springfield market. As a mere listener, not a radio insider, I asked (not stated as fact) whether the presence of WRKI on the western edge of WPLR's market might be impacting listenership and/or billing.

Whoa what's up with the Italian slam. Two Italians on the station and you have an issue with it. It's New Haven. Last time I lived there, there was plenty of us Italians running around so not sure how that would be an issue.

Smith & Barber equivalent to college Radio? What happened you failed at your own radio career so now everyone else is no good either?

Hey Monkey,

You must be "Big" Ed Sab Sabatino, ex-programmer.

Never did I call the New Haven audience ignorant.

Did say that 'PLR dumbs down the audience by playing the same ridiculous repetition, &, because of their signal, there are no other Rockers in the New Haven area.

Therefore, the audience thinks that's the Rock music they should listen to.

Case in point:

'CCC is the #1 Rock station in Hartford, the Capital city.

They started out as Top-40 ("Connecticuts' Triple C Keeps On Truckin'") w/Redbeard & Smokin' Willie B. Goode from 13WAVZ.

Then, they went to Classic Rock.

Finally, they went to Active Rock w/Howard Stern & are the only station in the state that programs Active Rock.

The main point is that they're Live & one of the last independent stations in the country, because they listen & follow up on the music & format opinions of their listeners!

They're not programmed by suits like the ones @Cheap Channel & Cox in Miami (who are laying off employees), who are totally oblivious to listeners habits in other parts of the USA.

So much for research.

As said before, these conglomerates are ruining the beautiful art of Radio.

It's all about $, not heritage.

Just hope that Scott won't be too confined & constricted by Cox in his attempt to liven up, improve & pull 'PLR out of it's boredom.

amfmradio1/Jack Allen:

No I am not Ed. I think he has other things to do with his time now, like look for a job.

PLR IS live.

And RTibbs thank you for your post...right on the money. Jack was fired by PLR and has a big chip about it. Time to move on. Stress kills.

am/fm, you are 100 percent correct about your analysis regarding WCCC. WPLR should take lessons from WCCC.
Again, WPLR is like a stale IPod. And regarding radio careers, if you're smart, before there are zero full-time radio careers, you'll stop "playing," get out of radio and get a real job. Only the Howard Sterns, Bubbas, etc. will ultimately survive. Chaz and AJ are NO Howard Sterns or Bubbas. Hey, where are the old PLR morning duo, I know one is doing PM drive on a formerly heritage full service AC in Bridgeport, that is almost irrelevant. What is the other one doing, selling used cars?

"A once heritage full service AC in Bpt that's almost irrelevant"? I wouldn't call an AM station that pulls the numbers WICC does, irrelevant. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom