Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Can Clear Channel Sink Any Lower?

DeadAudicy

Re: Can Clear Channel Sink Any Lower?

Front page says $400 million will be cut, discussion says 1000 employees. Can somebody donate a working calculator? Mine must be busted. No matter how many times I try to divide 400 million by 1000, it keeps coming up 400,000...and I know there isn't a lot of rank and file bringing home that kind of cash.

Giving everyone here the benefit of the doubt, I blame my device.

OK, here, apparently, is the real 411 on this story...and it isn't pretty.

"The company is also likely to move toward a "national programming" model that would require less local-level staffing...Sources said an initial round of layoffs is expected to commence next Tuesday - not coincidentally the same day President-elect Barack Obama is to be sworn into office."

http://www.nypost.com/seven/01162009...amp_150374.htm

The article also states that: "A precise headcount for the layoffs could not be obtained." So we really don't know how many staff will be involved.

C5
    Television Industry Pro

I'm really wondering if the NY Post has any new info on the cuts or if they're pretty much regurgitating what's already been circulating on the radio boards?

Quote Originally Posted by gr8oldies
    As far as doing the layoffs in order to "give the finger" to Obama, me thinks we're reading way more into it than neccesary.
    +1

End of thread. Some of you look way too much into the tiniest things.

CC has to get moving on sounding like Sirius before Sirius sinks. By cutting everything and everybody and going
    national with six formats, will give them the edge they deserve. CC's 2009 is to kill all the radio stars. They "cost"
    to much.

It isn't the "stars" who are going to get cut.

The Wall Street Journal reported last night that cuts are to affect 1,500 employees, many in sales. Plus, the "nationalization" of programming ala Seacrest & Limbaugh, plus other Premiere programming. About a7% cut. Read the surly comments at the bottom of the story from CC.

http://online.wsj.com/article_email/...jExNDYxWj.html
    "Naked Hobos -- only come here for the promise of FREE Chicken! CBS Cares." Craig Ferguson - "The Late Late Show" - CBS

DaleGriffin

Quote Originally Posted by oaktree
    The Wall Street Journal reported last night that cuts are to affect 1,500 employees, many in sales. Plus, the "nationalization" of programming ala Seacrest & Limbaugh, plus other Premiere programming. About a7% cut. Read the surly comments at the bottom of the story from CC.

Limbaugh is on 600 stations... that ship has sailed.

Long before deregulation, long before Rush, and long before Clear Channel, the Larry King Show was on 600 radio stations 7 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Jackson
    Quote Originally Posted by oaktree

Limbaugh is on 600 stations... that ship has sailed.
    Pre-Limbaugh you would have had roughly 600 people employed. Where is all the money that has been saved over the last 20 years for each of these individuals? I tend to think the industry would have been better off employing the 600 people, who then in turn would have spent their earned income back into the local economies. More than likely these kings of radio will keep the huge sums of money they make hidden away in some undisclosed bank. If a dollar doesn't circulate, its worthless. Ironically it seems the same thing is happening to the "bailout money" that we've been giving these super banks. Most seem to be hording this cash in their bank vaults. This will not help the economy either!

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast