• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Sports on 1330/950

Does anybody out there think that sports talk would be an interesting idea for Entercom to try on 1330 and 950? It makes sense...they have three stations covering the same area, airing the same thing, and for the most part 106.3 gives a better signal, especially at night so it makes no sense to keep the AMs airing the same thing. Could they hook up with ESPN or FOX, since 104.9 and 1400 air some of that programming? IMO it would be a smart decision, maybe the ratings wouldn't be great but it would provide a nice, solid sports talk simulcast covering the whole metro, which 104.9 and 1400 don't provide. Air it mostly off the bird if need be. Just an idea.

If that happened, I would re-brand 106.3 as "News Radio (or News/Talk) 106.3", though...

I know we've discussed this before. I do think three signals broadcasting the same think is excessive. While I think Sports on 1330/950 is a good idea, there are some problems.

First, I still think there are some problems with 106.3's signal. It can be scratchy at times in northern Spartanburg County. I'm sure it's great in southern part of the counties, but try it around Landrum & Campobello. Entercom seems to recognize this from the fact that they've never put much effort into the station - women's satellite talk, Charlie off the computer, simulcasting WORD etc...

Also, as you mention the contracts to ESPN radio and Fox Sports Radio are locked up. Unless they want to hook up with Sporting News Radio, or go mostly local (unlikely), then the options are pretty limited.

And also they would lose the WORD branding, though they've been emphasizing 106.3 for the most part lately so that might not matter as much as it used to.

Re: Sports on 1330/950 PLUS some

Businesswise another fulltime sports-talk station a MAYBE from me.

Personally, I would NOT listen at all, unless it was live coverage of a game I'm interested in. (Like SOME other LOCAL station really needs to pick up the Furman network!!)

I know it's off-topic, but I think Bobby Mac made a SERIOUS mistake doing "best of" of his afternoon shows THIS week on the triple-cast. Nothing is more boring than "timely" topics that first aired only 3 weeks ago!! What was he thinking? With all the good substitute talent in the area, this couild have been a slamdunk week for them. Maybe others can pull it off with well-produced segments of generic monologue and call-ins, but just re-broadcasting a whole show was insane. There's just too much competition in this market for the listener!

Oh, well, I guess that's why I'm NOT in the business anymore :)

Robert

MarkL said:
I know we've discussed this before. I do think three signals broadcasting the same think is excessive. While I think Sports on 1330/950 is a good idea, there are some problems.

First, I still think there are some problems with 106.3's signal. It can be scratchy at times in northern Spartanburg County. I'm sure it's great in southern part of the counties, but try it around Landrum & Campobello. Entercom seems to recognize this from the fact that they've never put much effort into the station - women's satellite talk, Charlie off the computer, simulcasting WORD etc...

Also, as you mention the contracts to ESPN radio and Fox Sports Radio are locked up. Unless they want to hook up with Sporting News Radio, or go mostly local (unlikely), then the options are pretty limited.

And also they would lose the WORD branding, though they've been emphasizing 106.3 for the most part lately so that might not matter as much as it used to.
The 106.3 starts losing it over towards Easley and to the west...the signal actually does better to the east it can usually be gotten to the NC line on 85. I think WNGC starts causing it problems the other way. I am south of Greenville/Spartanburg counties and it is by all means listenable, but has constant static in the background and more obvious static sometimes. I can get 950 much clearer. The background "static" would be eliminated if they would put it in mono (we discussed this, and came to the conclusion it would confuse the average listener)....WBT-FM and WCCP come in very clear even though they are far off - both are broadcasting in mono. You couldn't notice problems with 106.3's signal as much when they were playing music. Signal-wise, the main thing 106.3 does is help the nighttime coverage.

From what I gather on-air, they certainly plan on making 106.3 the primary station, as I frequently hear something along the lines of "News Radio WORD, 106.3 FM." No mention is ever made of the AMs anymore. Oh well..I guess that doesn't matter.

I live in Marion, NC and I hear to 106.3 pretty well over most of McDowell County. Old Fort Mountain kills the WMIT 106.3 translator from Asheville. It is good to hear a talker up here, and having grown up with Russ Castle on 93.7, it is great to hear him reguarly again, not just when I travel to the upstate. Also enjoyed Tony Dale when he filled in. He needs a regular show.

carolinaradio said:
Does anybody out there think that sports talk would be an interesting idea for Entercom to try on 1330 and 950? It makes sense...they have three stations covering the same area, airing the same thing, and for the most part 106.3 gives a better signal, especially at night so it makes no sense to keep the AMs airing the same thing. Could they hook up with ESPN or FOX, since 104.9 and 1400 air some of that programming? IMO it would be a smart decision, maybe the ratings wouldn't be great but it would provide a nice, solid sports talk simulcast covering the whole metro, which 104.9 and 1400 don't provide. Air it mostly off the bird if need be. Just an idea.

If that happened, I would re-brand 106.3 as "News Radio (or News/Talk) 106.3", though...

I think sports on 1330/950 is a no brainer. Advertising buys are placed on sports stations from an emotional standpoint more than ratings. Even full signal sports stations don't pull huge ratings. However, they can be very profitable operations and during these tough times for advertising, emotional buys may mean more than ever.

No one in their right mind would take a full signal FM in GSP and put sports on it. If you stop to think about, how many full market commercial FM signals are there...92.5, 93.7, 94.5, 98.9. The others have some issues somewhere....even 93.3, 100.5, 101.1, 102.5, 107.3 and certainly 98.1 and 103.9 and 103.1 have a history of signal challenges not to mention two frequencies trying to do one format. Most do well in cars but each of them have building penetration issues in some part of the Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson market areas. WCCP has done well with sports to a large extent because no one covering the core Greenville-Spartanburg (BOTH cities) population area has done sports. This is not to take anything away from them or the AM stations serving their immediate area.

However, a handicapped FM signal that covers where most people live and work...especially work.... is better than an bad to non existant AM signal any second of the day. 950 and 1330 are killed morning times when they operate on DA patterns til sunrise. That is more important than nighttime coverage.

106.3 may not cover northern fringes of Greenville/Spartanburg counties, but it covers pretty well where the population is located. Also, it should be noted that the populated areas of the metro, especially in Greenville County, are south of Paris Mountain. Spartanburg grows mostly west and some north. The east and south sides are slack.

106.3 signal issues west are more to do with terrain issues than WNGC. If WNGC ever moves closer toward Athens, then they might get some improvement but the bigger restraint is 106.1 at Waxhaw, NC. There is a ridge between the transmitter site and downtown Greenville which knocks down the signal but here again, news talk listeners are more forgiving of FM signal issues. They have been listening to AM after all.

I think Entercom would have their pick of sports programming since the sports stations reaching the market now have marginal signals where it counts....well programmed and sold, the two AMs would easily generate north of $1 million a year in sales with little over head. It would be an easy sale in combo with news talk FM and you always have the big FMs to get your foot in the door.

artsutton said:
I think sports on 1330/950 is a no brainer. Advertising buys are placed on sports stations from an emotional standpoint more than ratings. Even full signal sports stations don't pull huge ratings. However, they can be very profitable operations and during these tough times for advertising, emotional buys may mean more than ever.

No one in their right mind would take a full signal FM in GSP and put sports on it. If you stop to think about, how many full market commercial FM signals are there...92.5, 93.7, 94.5, 98.9. The others have some issues somewhere....even 93.3, 100.5, 101.1, 102.5, 107.3 and certainly 98.1 and 103.9 and 103.1 have a history of signal challenges not to mention two frequencies trying to do one format. Most do well in cars but each of them have building penetration issues in some part of the Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson market areas. WCCP has done well with sports to a large extent because no one covering the core Greenville-Spartanburg (BOTH cities) population area has done sports. This is not to take anything away from them or the AM stations serving their immediate area.

However, a handicapped FM signal that covers where most people live and work...especially work.... is better than an bad to non existant AM signal any second of the day. 950 and 1330 are killed morning times when they operate on DA patterns til sunrise. That is more important than nighttime coverage.

106.3 may not cover northern fringes of Greenville/Spartanburg counties, but it covers pretty well where the population is located. Also, it should be noted that the populated areas of the metro, especially in Greenville County, are south of Paris Mountain. Spartanburg grows mostly west and some north. The east and south sides are slack.

106.3 signal issues west are more to do with terrain issues than WNGC. If WNGC ever moves closer toward Athens, then they might get some improvement but the bigger restraint is 106.1 at Waxhaw, NC. There is a ridge between the transmitter site and downtown Greenville which knocks down the signal but here again, news talk listeners are more forgiving of FM signal issues. They have been listening to AM after all.

I think Entercom would have their pick of sports programming since the sports stations reaching the market now have marginal signals where it counts....well programmed and sold, the two AMs would easily generate north of $1 million a year in sales with little over head. It would be an easy sale in combo with news talk FM and you always have the big FMs to get your foot in the door.

Great points as usual. Especially the one about the coverage areas. My location is not exactly in the best position to recieve 106.3....but they are probably covering what they want to cover; Greenville/Spartanburg and the close 'burbs. They could probably care less about anything outside of that. The signal is getting where it needs to for them to be successful. 106.3's tower is right past the Sptbg county line, around Batesville/Pelham IIRC. Right around the big growth area. But the signal gets bad getting west of Greenville...thanks for the fill-in on that.

Sports on the AMs would be a great sell with 106.3 or even WROQ.

Maybe it's just me but it seems the 96.7 signal in the Greenville area is much better than the 106.3, especially in northern Greenville county, west Greenville, Easley area, and it hits golden strip area, Piedmont area, etc just fine but I wouldn't say better than 106.3. I rarely go to Spartanburg, so I am not that familiar with their signal there...but I know they can have some problems there, that is what eliminates that station from ever being something to brag on. WBZT seems to have better coverage to the south and west. I have gotten it way down 25....almost to Greenwood a few weeks ago! Not sure if it was just a good day or what, but it was impressive for a class A.

Re: Sports on 1330/950 PLUS some

ramsc said:
Oh, well, I guess that's why I'm NOT in the business anymore :)

interesting that someone who left radio two decades ago still freqents radio blogs and is proud of what they did. anyone need someone to work weekends?

artsutton said:
I think Entercom would have their pick of sports programming since the sports stations reaching the market now have marginal signals where it counts....

So you're saying if 1330/950 wanted to pick up say ESPN Radio or Fox Sports Radio, they would be able to get out of their contracts with the smaller stations that air it now?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom