• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

SHAKE UP ON MORNING SHOW AT KILT-FM

iused2bsomebody

Inactive
Inactive User
Cutbacks hitting CBS morning show of Hudson and Harrigan. Longtime traffic reporter TJ Callahan was shown the door along with a Houston radio icon, longtime newsman RB McEntire. RB was told his service would no longer be needed after some 40 years with the station. He was also given the option of working through the end of the year and announcing his "retirement" or ending it sooner. TJ was told that she can still do some part-time work in the future.

Interesting news, in light of the speculation that CBS might wind up with KHMX and KLOL (via a intermarket station swap with Clear Channel.) Is this prepping for the consolidation?

I'm sorry to read about this. That's pretty much the end of the "Big 610" era, when KILT-AM "owned" radio in Houston. No one who worked there then is working at KILT on-air today, except Fred Kennedy, who was a DJ there when I was in high school before he was promoted to Hudson.

It's sad. But my sympathy and best wishes to R. B. McEntire, who along with Jim Corolla were the two most dedicated news pros I ever worked with -- who also are thoughtful guys who care about their work and their coworkers.

Very well said Mr. Shiloh...(in my best Nancy Grace voice).

Its a sad day in Houston radio to not have RB on doing the news anymore... He was in my opinion the best ever at telling a story.

I see that His photo bio are gone from the web site as are his "RBs world" segments. Those were worth logging onto the KILT website every day or two..just to hear...

Kevinc

KTRH is running an ad on allaccess looking for anchors. As hard as it is to believe that someone is actually hiring (if they actually are), this might be an opportunity for them... find a place for him someplace, maybe on their morning show or something.

After a second look at the website, RB is still mentioned in the H&H show, but his bio page etc... is only linked thru them now, whereas it had its own listing under personalities before... and I don't see "RBs world" anywhere.

Oh, it's true my dear friends. The great RB is history. Here's the question to take this to the next level. If you were RB and KILT offered you the chance to work until the end of the year and announce your retirement ( which is not true) but go out with dignity, or do you think KILT would look like the hero by letting this great voice say his goodbye and announce his retirement even though he was forced to retire?

First let me say that I have had the privilege of working around both RB & TJ, their terminations truly show the poor state of radio management decision making.

Both are wonderful at what they do & are exceptional people in general.

2 more pieces of Houston radio history that you can't replace, but we all know heritage means diddly-squat to the suits.

Knowing them I think they would both appreciate the chance to tell the listeners goodbye & would handle it in a professional, honorable way. That's just the type people they are.

The listeners would probably appreciate it & yes would probably think more highly of KILT management for giving them the chance to say goodbye.

Most listeners don't understand the behind the scenes of radio but they do understand when someone they have listened to for years is suddenly gone.

In my opinion management missed a golden opportunity to show the listeners that they do matter even in instances with undesirable results.

But after having seen the current state of radio management it doesn't surprise me that they were short-sighted on this.

R.B. has one of the greatest voices and deliveries that I have ever heard. It is very sad that this is happening. I guess we could be thankful they didn't axe the whole morning show all together, as they did at WBBM-FM (B96) in Chicago, where they fired a top rated morning show that had been on the air for 20 years (Eddie & Jobo). It is just rare to see a full-service radio program like Hudson & Harrigan was... music, news, traffic, wx, sports, entertainment. KILT-FM was one of the few that had some of that flavor.

Has anyone talked to R.B.? Does he plan on retiring or is he going to try and take his talent somewhere else?

soloflyr1 said:
Most listeners don't understand the behind the scenes of radio but they do understand when someone they have listened to for years is suddenly gone.

that's true - having said that, irregardless of inside radio stuff or WHATEVER, it is ALWAYS a terrible thing when someone that has been on the radio for ANY length of time is suddenly gone - it is a HUGE loss for the listeners and for the radio community as a whole...may RB find something QUICKLY...

Andrea in NYC

Thanks for the link...At least I can hear the last few entries RB made...

iused2bsomebody said:
Cutbacks hitting CBS morning show of Hudson and Harrigan. Longtime traffic reporter TJ Callahan was shown the door along with a Houston radio icon, longtime newsman RB McEntire. RB was told his service would no longer be needed after some 40 years with the station. He was also given the option of working through the end of the year and announcing his "retirement" or ending it sooner. TJ was told that she can still do some part-time work in the future.

TJ was the first person at the radio reunion to walk up and introduce herself... funny lady. She deserves a real gig.

With all of the good people on the beach right now, you could put together one hell of a station. Too bad everyone is broke!

I got an email from RB McEntire this evening that paints a different picture about his leaving KILT after 40 plus years... He asked me to share part of it with the Radio-Info board, just to set the record straight... so in his own words....

"The stories flying around the radio info websites are not true and consider me the ultimate source as I was there."

He goes on to say that he was given several options, one of which was to stay on the air until Dec. 17 when H&H go on vacation. He was even given the opportunity to announce his departure on the air and it wasn't to be disguised as a "retirement" he was told to be honest and tell the listeners that he was "laid off". Instead, he chose to go ahead and leave on the 24th of November so that he could move on with life. The best part of the email was the tremendous respect RB has for his former employer.

"I'm jazzed that my piers would think enough of me to even consider me in their thoughts. But bottom line is K I L T has taken very good care of me since that day in Jan. of '67 when I rolled into town from KAYC in Beaumont in a '66 GTO convertible and KILT continues to take care of me as I leave. In my 41-years at KILT I never-ever had a contract. For anyone who might think I'm kissing up or wimping out, I'm not. In my situation doing it any OTHER way would be wimping out. I pray for everyone in radio who feels the tension, fear and aniexty that covers most of our passion, radio."

As for his future plans... He says he's already had offers, but isn't looking for anything unless its "a fun job."

"I feel real good now to have more time with my wife, Ruby the Wonder Dog and Hemorrhoid the cat. I thank the Lord everyday for my talent and ask Him to help me do a good professional job. I hope because I don't have a visible white-hot ego that people think I have no confidence or low self esteem. That's wrong, I've always had a strong belief in my abilities and have never had a problem taking the ball with a second left on the shot clock, in fact I want it. Please feel free to share this with the various websities where our craft is talked about and help me thank everyone who took the time to even think about an 'ol down in the trenches-plugging-away radio newsman.
Thanks,
Robert B. McEntire"

That pretty much says it all...

Ten of my 1st thirteen years at KILT were spent as producer of the Hudson & Harrigan Show in addition to my overnight show. I really enjoyed working with RB. In all of the work he had to accomplish, he always took time out to share a laugh or tell me the fascinating stories of a young Robert B working at KILT during those exciting days of Top 40 radio. He worked with Russ Knight "The Weird Beard" and told me how Russ would light candles all over the controlroom and cut off the overhead lights. RB would come in and Russ would say, "Shhhhhhhhhhhhh....ya hear 'em?.......the little people are in here talking......ya hear 'em man?" RB said, man I don't know what he was smokin' but he kept me in stitches. That was only one very, very thin slice of the stories he would impart to me about the heydays of the Big 6-10.

I hated leaving in 1997, but the tyrant gm left me no choice. I returned in 2001 (under different management)to work part-time and once again had the pleasure of working with RB. I did a lot of fill-in on my old overnight shift and RB would roll in around 4AM to prepare for the day.
I wish I could afford him. Man, what a great asset he would make on any station.

Andreajesus, I agree. Class act!

I enjoyed listening to Robert over the years, and wish him the best. As others have said, a hell of a station could be built with the talent that has taken earlier than anticipated 'retirement'.

I know RB and TJ and agree they are bolth class acts. I actually know TJ a little better since we worked together in College Station at WTAW before coming to Houston. But RB has always treated me just like one of the gang too. I know they will land on their feet, and my prayers are with them and their families.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom