• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

A day in the life of a lamptimer

KOOL Listener Lauren said:
radioguybroadcasting said:
Im beginning to think that someone at Gumpdumpsky has an emotional attachment to the station and really likes it.. they've been offered well beyond market value to sell it and turned it down.

And thank goodness for that, too. You know whomever the potential buyer would be, would drastically change AM 1440, probably get rid of the music altogether, and put on colon blow-- pay to play junk.

As much as we here at Radio-Info like to joke about 1440, the fact is that it's got to be a high compliment to the mastermind of it over at Sandusky. It's clear that many of us radio geeks, who could probably tell you of several other things we could be listening to right now, do spend a decent amount of time listening to KAZG, Arizona Gold.

In a time when radio is recently more business than ever, I'm grateful for this station playing the oldies, and the person with the love and passion behind it. We do love the "Lumberyard"!

From what I was told.. Gumpdumpsky was offered about TWICE (and then maybe then some) what the station is worth, considering it has not much revenue at all and probably doesn't own the land the tower is on.

Think about it, the only bills this place has to pay are the electric bill, at probably $1000 a month and music licensing of about the same amount.

I bet in the span of a WEEK they make that back on the paid time BS they run. So you can see why that someone with an emotional attachment to KAZG, over at Gumpdumpsky is able to keep this thing running.. it doesn't take much.

i doubt we'll ever see KAZG on the air.

To get what I'm assuming is an OLD tube transmitter to stay on the air, they'd have to PAD IT WAY DOWN as the minimum those things can make would be 250W, usually.... and to do that, would generate so much heat you wouldn't want to be there.. and alot of wasted electricity.

KAZG won't be on the air at night till it gets a solid state transmitter.

To get what I'm assuming is an OLD tube transmitter to stay on the air, they'd have to PAD IT
WAY DOWN as the minimum those things can make would be 250W, usually...KAZG won't be
on the air at night till it gets a solid state transmitter.

One of the (lesser-known) jokes about Lumberyard 1440 is its "old Ampliphase"
which is an old RCA XMTR brand they are alleged to still have on site. I really
don't know what they use, but KAZG has run the 52 watts at night from time
to time. They also have come on at 6:00am with reduced power in the past
during winter months, but I'm not sure if it's 52 watts or some other power
authorization from their PSA.

Do you know the date of this file? Probably a TOH sign-on month, and it's
obviously just by chance that the lamptimer kicked in just as the legal ID
jingle started. Any other month with sign-on at :15, :30 or :45 and the
carrier just pops on with whatever is playing on the hard drive JIPped,
and no ID until somewhere near the next TOH.

oldiesfan6479 said:
To get what I'm assuming is an OLD tube transmitter to stay on the air, they'd have to PAD IT
WAY DOWN as the minimum those things can make would be 250W, usually...KAZG won't be
on the air at night till it gets a solid state transmitter.

One of the (lesser-known) jokes about Lumberyard 1440 is its "old Ampliphase"
which is an old RCA XMTR brand they are alleged to still have on site. I really
don't know what they use, but KAZG has run the 52 watts at night from time
to time. They also have come on at 6:00am with reduced power in the past
during winter months, but I'm not sure if it's 52 watts or some other power
authorization from their PSA.

Do you know the date of this file? Probably a TOH sign-on month, and it's
obviously just by chance that the lamptimer kicked in just as the legal ID
jingle started. Any other month with sign-on at :15, :30 or :45 and the
carrier just pops on with whatever is playing on the hard drive JIPped,
and no ID until somewhere near the next TOH.

yeah, the one thing we don't know if the low power was 52 watts.... and I'm pretty sure the RCA Ampliphase can't make 52 watts.

The Sign ON, SIgn Off and jingles were all recorded about a year or two ago.

For the past couple of mornings Nurse Jeff and I have heard a farm show coming through quite clearly on 14~Forty shortly before the lamptimer puts KAZG on the air at 7am-ish. Unfortunately we haven't been able to catch the call letters or hear a local commercial that would identify where the station is located. Perhaps there are others who have even more time to waste than we that can provide the answer. If Gumpdusky won't treat us to 52 watts at night as they did last Spring, then why can't they use their pre and post authorizations and keep the Lumberyard gold mine crankin' a bit longer?

Kay Aye Zee Gee, Scottsdale-Phoenix.....all Lumberyard, all the time!

Dr. Akbar said:
For the past couple of mornings Nurse Jeff and I have heard a farm show coming through quite clearly on 14~Forty shortly before the lamptimer puts KAZG on the air at 7am-ish. Unfortunately we haven't been able to catch the call letters or hear a local commercial that would identify where the station is located. Perhaps there are others who have even more time to waste than we that can provide the answer. If Gumpdusky won't treat us to 52 watts at night as they did last Spring, then why can't they use their pre and post authorizations and keep the Lumberyard gold mine crankin' a bit longer?

Kay Aye Zee Gee, Scottsdale-Phoenix.....all Lumberyard, all the time!

I think it might be 1440 AM out of Santa Barbara, California. I haven't heard it in the morning, though. I have heard it in the evening right after KAZG suddenly stops mid-song. It doesn't come in too clearly, but I was able to catch once with their legal ID. I believe it's a talk station.

So KAZG has broadcast at night before. If it works, why not use it? Come on Gumpdusky, don't shut off at dusk!

Dr. Akbar said:
For the past couple of mornings Nurse Jeff and I have heard a farm show coming through
quite clearly on 14~Forty shortly before the lamptimer puts KAZG on the air at 7am-ish.
Unfortunately we haven't been able to catch the call letters...

KINF 1440 Santa Maria, CA; also simulcast on KUHL 1410 Lompoc, CA.

BTW, this morning the lumberyard came alive with the sound of music
(The Lion Sleeps Tonight, in progress) at 7:00:36, but KAZG Scottsdale
was not legally IDed until 7:01:55, per normal automation programming.

oldiesfan6479 said:
KINF 1440 Santa Maria, CA; also simulcast on KUHL 1410 Lompoc, CA.

Could be, but their night signal aims primarily to the southwest with a null towards the Lumberyard. We checked their web page but didn't see any mention of a farm show between 5 and 6am PST. Perhaps they have a lamptimer controlling the xmttr and it wasn't changed for Standard Time? This is shaping up to be an assignment for the only man with the knowledge to answer any radio question. I'll have Nurse Jeff get me the phone number of the Old Gringo and ask!

It's a mistake; it's all a mistake...

Dr. Akbar and Nurse Jeff, I've found yet another song to add to your evergrowing list of songs having something to do with the Lumberyard. All can be added to a compilation CD in support of the future Phoenix BBQ at the Lumberyard. ;) Previously I've mentioned lines from "Time in a Bottle" and "Love Machine", but here's yet another song to add to your list, that speaks specifically of the power-down mistakes.

As Men At Work sing it:
"Tell us commander, what do you think?
'Cause we know that you love all that power
Is it on then, are we on the brink?
We wish you'd all throw in the towel

We'll not fade out too soon
Not in this finest hour
Whistle your favorite tune
We'll send a card and flower
Saying

It's a mistake, it's a mistake"

Oops, have I gone Classic Hits wild? :eek:

It's a mistake, it's a mistake"[/i]

Oops, have I gone Classic Hits wild? :eek:

Thanks for your 2 cents worth, KLL. Nurse Jeff will give you a receipt and we'll add it to our compilation.

We're just a little curious about the "twice what it's worth" price Gumpdusky turned down for Lumberyard 14~Forty. What exactly is market value for a high end daytimer that has never showed up in the ratings or made any money? As far as we know, the only revenue comes from renting tower space.

I am having a particularly disturbing Wonkaesque vision of Veruca whining "I want a Lamptimer, Daddy, I want it now!"

Oompa loompa loompity dee
If you are wise you'll listen to me.
What do you get when you stay on the air?
Long past the time that they say is real fair?
You'll meet a guy from the FCC.
Like the oompa loompa duppitee de!

Actually thier audio is not bad..especially if it's an "Ampli-FUZZ" RCA XMTR..The jingles are kinda dated but still work..I don't know why all the bashing of this little station. AS for nights..probably ot worth the eletricity to pump out 52 watts at 1440..just not worth it. Besides the middle name of Gumpdusky IS DUSK

And what is with the songs in mid stream..does KAZG stream and just leaves the computer playing music? And didn't somebody once post here saying he talked with an engineer who let him in and actually SAW some kind of lamp timer?

KOOL will be back soon..please stand by

Jeff Laurence said:
And what is with the songs in mid stream..does KAZG stream and just leaves the computer playing music? And didn't somebody once post here saying he talked with an engineer who let him in and actually SAW some kind of lamp timer?

From my understanding, the actual "lamptimer" is totally fictional. But it does make things funny doesn't it?

I wouldn't necessarily call us "bashing" the station. Several of us here do listen to the Lumberyard often, and if we had anything to "bash" about, the truth is we do it out of love of the Lumberyard and the music-- unless I stand alone in this, I'll just speak for myself. ;)

Jeff Laurence said:
KOOL will be back soon..please stand by

By the way, it's so nice to see you here participating on the Phoenix board! So, will we be hearing NFVG in the studios DJing over the holidays, again?

I wouldn't necessarily call us "bashing" the station. Several of us here do listen to the Lumberyard often, and if we had anything to "bash" about, the truth is we do it out of love of the Lumberyard and the music-- unless I stand alone in this, I'll just speak for myself. ;)

There's just something kinda special about this quirky radio station that appeals to those who drive a '76 Gremlin Levi Special ::)

The audio is better than most AM stations in the market as it sounds like Gumpdusky hasn't IBOCed it up yet. The music is basically pre 70s with some 50s thrown in and the GM's favorite Sinatra track (My Way) to keep the staff in line. The jingles sound great...the processing is solid...plus they only stop four times an hour for a commercial.

Only two problems with Lumberyard 14~Forty: #1 - they shouldn't be playing music and #2 - they should be using their 52 watt nighttime authorization. There's a lot of population within a 10 mile radius of the Lumberyard that can pick it up. And anyway, when you go paid programming who the hell cares about the nightime signal?

Nurse Jeff and I always tip our fezes when driving down Thomas Road near the Crosscut Canal. In this digital age it's comforting to know that something is still hooked up to a cheap lamptimer. And it works, kinda sorta.

Lumberyard 14~Forty Graveyard 13~Ten Wal-Mart Parking Lot 6~Twenty Landfill 8~Sixty Diplexed 9~Sixty & 15~Ten Trailer Park 15~Eighty Aint AM Radio Great!

Jeff Laurence said:
And what is with the songs in mid stream..does KAZG stream and just leaves the
computer playing music? And didn't somebody once post here saying he talked
with an engineer who let him in and actually SAW some kind of lamp timer?

NFVG,

We think it's the jockless Jones Radio oldies feed they use. As it is a 24/7
sat feed, the XMTR is popped on/off typically within +/- five minutes of the
monthly sign-on/off. The biggest sore thumb--other than the "lamptimer"
always drifting from real (atomic) time--is that they have yet to figure out
how to do a legal ID when they go on and off the air. It's a sure part 73-
something violation (Fybush would know the sub-section).

As to the lamptimer legend and what we think it really is, check out replies
12 and 13 of this thread on page two.

Other than that, as KLL and the Doc noted (quirky, et al), we are quite fond
of Lumberyard 1440. Except for the 9:00am Colon Blow show. ::)

oldiesfan6479 said:
Jeff Laurence said:

NFVG,

A jockless sat feed?

no...

it's automated off a computer...... probably the same computer that controls sign on and off times.

listen to the station, the segues are not always tight at all.... and a DOS comptuer isn't smart enough to fix that.... so this aint no sat feed.

oldiesfan6479 said:
Jeff Laurence said:

NFVG,

Hey, if that Colon Blow Show helps keep the station running, I'm all for it! When you play 14 songs in a row followed by just one commercial, there can't be much money coming in. I got a little worried that the station might switch to talk when the East Valley Talk Radio Network took over afternoons back in August, but that was short lived. The Lumberyard is back to all oldies all the time! Now if only Gumpdusky can get over the "dusk" in their name and keep it rolling 24/7. That would make me very happy!

asugeorge1 said:
oldiesfan6479 said:
Jeff Laurence said:

NFVG,

Hey, if that Colon Blow Show helps keep the station running, I'm all for it! When you play 14 songs in a row followed by just one commercial, there can't be much money coming in. I got a little worried that the station might switch to talk when the East Valley Talk Radio Network took over afternoons back in August, but that was short lived. The Lumberyard is back to all oldies all the time! Now if only Gumpdusky can get over the "dusk" in their name and keep it rolling 24/7. That would make me very happy!

Ain't going to happen, the old RCA transmitter they have can't go that low power at night and to get a transmitter that could would cost more money.. way more, then it's worth to KAZG.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom