• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

A day in the life of a lamptimer

Mother just paid $1.8 million for 92 point 7 ... setting the all-time record (I believe an FM Translator). It's so fitting that the longest thread in the history of radio boards would ultimately become someone a record price to move the infamous Lamptimer to an FM translator. It will still be powered by KDKB HD Two

YIKES!

Double YIKES!!

Guess the Goldminers won't be getting their usual 1.5% wage increase this year. Nurse Jeff and I've wondered for some time why Mother Hubbard didn't participate in the land rush for translators when Class C & D stations were given first choice. She could have lassoed one from W Bumphuq, N.M. for 20k, and not involved KDKB HD~Two. But since putting Oldies on 92~Seven, that's given Mom's cluster something to monetize at Lumberyard 14~Forty (although we still miss Radio Sri & Hindi Hits).

Yes indeedy, this thread just might outlive our '76 Gremlin....plus it's lot less embarrassing!

Read with creepy soap opera organ music.

Does the lamptimer apply for a Free translator in July.
Is there a space on the dial!
Where does 9 2 7 go? if the lamptimer get a new mate.
Does 9 2 7 pick up brokered cooking shows and the Canadian travel minute.
....on 9 2 7 on a HD channel totally dedicated to Pastor Tilton and Rev. Ike.

These and more stories coming up as the translator turns.

Last edited by a moderator:
Read with creepy soap opera organ music.

Does the lamptimer apply for a Free translator in July.

Could have picked one up for peanuts during the first land rush, after all they are a Class D station

Is there a space on the dial!

Yes indeedy. The FCC won't stop polluting the FM band with translators and LPFMs. The more, the merrier!

Where does 9 2 7 go? if the lamptimer get a new mate.

After paying $1.8m for 92~Seven, Mother Hubbard can go anywhere she wants with one of the best Phoenix translators.

Does 9 2 7 pick up brokered cooking shows and the Canadian travel minute.
....on 9 2 7 on a HD channel totally dedicated to Pastor Tilton and Rev. Ike.

Those have been long gone from the Lamptimer 14~Forty schedule. Where ya been, Mississippi?

These and more stories coming up as the translator turns.

YIKES!

It's about time this thread came back to Page One.

The other night Nurse Jeff and I were checking out a used Pinto in the Sanderson Ford parking lot. Much to our surprise, Lumberyard 14~Forty was significantly listenable at 51st Ave & Maryland. Yikes! Up til then, about the furthest west we could catch them on 52 watts was at 7th Street. Perhaps the Lamptimer has taken the place of the Nautel's power settings and failed to power down from 5kw?

Long story short - we're keeping the Gremlin....just can't sit in the Pinto without taking our fezzes off!

Long story short - we're keeping the Gremlin....just can't sit in the Pinto without taking our fezzes off!

Not good. You need fireproof fezzes if you're in a Pinto. :D

Cue some Kookie music... The inactivity of this thread is bringing down the sale value of Radio Discussions!

We're sure they'd like to sell, but who in their right mind would buy? Lumberyard 14~Forty is no more as Oldies 92~Seven has taken over the canal side transmitter site. The plans Vic Michaels has for 14~Eight are laughable at best, so maybe the new thread should become "Can You Hear KPHX Where You Are?" 640 watts day, and 25 at night is the opposite of the ginchiest!

Many have taken advantage of the the free electronic Government cheese handed out. Could the Lumberyard see some competition? 250 watts of directional flame throwin' oldies?

Many have taken advantage of the the free electronic Government cheese handed out. Could the Lumberyard see some competition? 250 watts of directional flame throwin' oldies?

KAZG already has a 250-watt FM translator from the top-top-top of South Mountain. And a one share thanks to it.

What befuddles the fezzed ones is why Mother Hubbard didn't take advantage of the first gubmint hand out of translator licenses for Class Crappy Ancient Modulation stations? 92~Seven is the translator paired with KDKB HD~Two, not KAZG. So in a roundabout manner, Lumberyard 14~Forty feeds KDKB HD~Two which in turn feeds translator 92~Seven. Mom did the Hokey Pokey with that one. And speaking of other 52nd Street mysteries, how come KDUS NnnnnnBC Sports 10~Sixty didn't get its own translator? Are not the citizens of Guadalupe worthy?

And speaking of other 52nd Street mysteries, how come KDUS NnnnnnBC Sports 10~Sixty didn't get its own translator? Are not the citizens of Guadalupe worthy?

First off, the FM dial in Phoenix is already too crowded as it is. And second, we have enough sports talk on the FM, via full-powered stations or translators. Do we really need the sports station with “pay to play” hosts to join in?

First off, the FM dial in Phoenix is already too crowded as it is. And second, we have enough sports talk on the FM, via full-powered stations or translators. Do we really need the sports station with “pay to play” hosts to join in?

Yes indeedy...we need even more Sports Parkinglots to further decimate FM listening. The FCC learned how to do it with Ancient Modulation, now they're doing it with FM. Just look at the awesome coverage of KPHX's translator: https://fccdata.org/?facid=202643&appid=1777108&i=2 The Gremlin horn can be heard further than the city grade of this new frequency!

Yes indeedy...we need even more Sports Parkinglots to further decimate FM listening. The FCC learned how to do it with Ancient Modulation, now they're doing it with FM. Just look at the awesome coverage of KPHX's translator: https://fccdata.org/?facid=202643&appid=1777108&i=2 The Gremlin horn can be heard further than the city grade of this new frequency!

The Valley needs more translators as much as Brad Cesmat needs to buy more half hours of his webcast simulcast on Fox Sports Arizona. He’s pay-to-play, I wonder why he doesn’t broadcast on KDUS? He would fit right in with “Dorf on Sports” and whatever that daily golf show is called.

For all those fans of the classic day timer Lumberyard, it’s a “Super 60’s weekend” on Oldies 92.7! That’s means all 60’s hits, all weekend long. None of that 70’s disco stuff, all 60’s all the time! Kind of like how the old KAZG was during the days of the Lamptimer.

What’s the over / under on how many times Brown Eyed Girl is played this weekend? I say 5!

What’s the over / under on how many times Brown Eyed Girl is played this weekend? I say 5!

At least once per daypart, so Nurse Jeff thinks 10. I had to remind him that Lumberyard 14~Forty doesn't daypart, but that guess sounds about right. So tell us ASU Jorge...will you be pulling an all-nighter to log the number of times BANG 545 is played?

At least once per daypart, so Nurse Jeff thinks 10. I had to remind him that Lumberyard 14~Forty doesn't daypart, but that guess sounds about right. So tell us ASU Jorge...will you be pulling an all-nighter to log the number of times BANG 545 is played?

I was not able to listen as often as I would have liked this weekend, but I did hear Bang 545 at least twice, if not three times. We will need some 1440 AM DX reports to see if Brown Eyed Girl was played more often in the overnight hours. Any reports of Telestar being played would be much appreciated too!

I was not able to listen as often as I would have liked this weekend, but I did hear Bang 545 at least twice, if not three times. We will need some 1440 AM DX reports to see if Brown Eyed Girl was played more often in the overnight hours. Any reports of Telestar being played would be much appreciated too!

Listened quite a bit over the weekend while working on the Gremlin. Sorry to say, neither Nurse Jeff or I heard Brown Eyed Girl (she must have been out behind the stadium) nor Telstar. But we did enjoy the Sixties blasts from the past. Unlike the days of Gumpdusky ownership, you seldom hear a clunker. The only clunker was the car we were working in the Media Hut garage!

Any chance Hubbard decides to switch our beloved Lumberyard into an all digital enterprise? Imagine listening to Bang 545 in all-digital sound!

No, but imagine hearing Edd Byrne's request for a comb in digital on 14~Forty? That would be just plain Kookie!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom