• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Hopefully KYAradio.com will call on John Mack Flanagan !!!!!!!!!

Hunkey Snarkey

Inactive
Inactive User
Ive been listening to KYA, the one that Gary Mora runs! Its great, it needs some on air personalities! Likely candidates should be John Mack Flanagan, and Bobby Ocean! personnally i cant believe they blew up KFRC again,, however nothing surprises me,, I would hope Gary Mora reads these posts and makes the right decision,, KFRC made terrible decisions,,I gotta wonder, could a "RADIO EXPERT" like James Gabbert make 106.9 work,??? I think so,, One thing for sure, KYA needs on air personalities,, And as for dave jackson ,thanks for the info on KYAradio.com,, Im hoping no other KYAs pop up,, 2 is plenty! I would hope to hear Chris Edwards ( the one who arrived here in 1968) on 1260 KYA, and Candi Chamberlin,, make it sound like it used to! Please no Cammy Blackstone, Im positive we wil never here Ron Parker here , hes real busy with WCBS,, and Sirius totally 70s!! Kenny in Concord

Hey Kenny, I was beginning to think that maybe you fell off the planet! I would think that if Sue Hall got a call from CBS Radio in the future she would just hang up the phone. Fool me once shame on you, Fool me twice shame on me..you know the old saying...

Sue Hall deserves a Hefty Severance package from CBS!!!! What is it with CBS? Just over 2 years ago it was 99.7 to Movin, now its 106.9 going to news! I wonder if any of the staffers saw this coming? Huh, what is it poor signal , defective format, lousy VO guy, or all of the above, personnally , Sunday at 9am i tuned into John mack Flanagan and enjoyed an hour of Superb entertainment with The Beatles,,, Hopefully CBS compensates these DJs who put KFRC on the map,, who knows maybe the DJs could have made KFRC viable,, something was missing,, Be generous with the "Final Checks CBS,, these people deserve it! Kenny in Concord

At least this time, dougee Poo is treating the outgoing staff to a more respectful departure from the station. Also someone needs to tell the management of these HD stations that music alone is and will never make them sucessful. Its time to put a little personality on these HD stations.

RadioStarOne said:
At least this time, dougee Poo is treating the outgoing staff to a more respectful departure from the station. Also someone needs to tell the management of these HD stations that music alone is and will never make them sucessful. Its time to put a little personality on these HD stations.

Maybe a few years in the future, but I don't think these huge radio corporations (who are looking at severely reduced revenues for the next couple of years) will buy the argument that they should staff HD2 stations for the few people that are listening. I doubt they'd even be interested in paying the pittance necessary to voice-track the HD2s.

HD2 reminds me of FM in the 50s and 60s. Very few people had FM tuners, and the stations were either simulcast with the AM sister station, or automated. Go to the Bay Area Radio Museum and check out the 1967 aircheck of KGO-FM (103.7). It was Light Rock of that era with no jocks, very few liners, and almost no commercials.

In my opinion, what made FM viable by the late 60s was (1) stereo sound; and (2) Free-form rock radio which woke up both listeners and station owners up to the possibilities. Whether HD2 will catch on, who knows?

Re: Hopefully KYAradio.com will call on John Mack Flanagan !!!!!!!!!

Kenny,

I think we've got a few interesting surprises coming up on Classic KYA. Gary is returning this weekend from a brief respite in Hawaii, and then we're getting back to work.

I've already talked to two former "Golden Era" KYA jocks -- from the mid-1960s to the early '70s -- and they are enthusiastic about participating. We've got a couple of mind-blowing features, too, that are just now coming together.

We've gone from zero to sixty ('60s?) in no time at all. Requests are coming in by phone and email from all corners of the planet -- not just the Bay Area and Northern California, but Germany, Japan, Canada and the Netherlands. Today alone there have been requests from Oklahoma, Georgia, Texas, Connecticut, Michigan and Washington.

And we're just getting started.

As I mentioned in another thread, I was just enjoying my great friend John Mack Flanagan on the Beatles shows this weekend. If he's willing to do a show on little old Classic KYA, I'd move heaven and earth to get him on.

You could build a pretty damned good Oldies station with the talent that's out there right now...

By the way, you can get the station on your cellphone (especially cool if you're Bluetoothin'). Just go to the website and check the links at the bottom of the page, then follow the instructions:

http://www.kyaradio.com/kya_player.html

DJ

This thread made me think of something. With so many good online stations these days (and there are lots) does anyone know if any of them are being picked up as HD-2 streams anywhere?

Dave B.

DaveBayArea said:
This thread made me think of something. With so many good online stations these days (and there are lots) does anyone know if any of them are being picked up as HD-2 streams anywhere?

Dave B.

I think that the initial strategy was "no HD stations streaming online!" in order to sell more of the radios.

Then it was "hey ... we could lease out our excess HD capacity and add to our revenue stream!"

I'm sure that somebody is doing it somewhere.

Heck, I'd lease an HD channel if it was available and the price wasn't totally cut-throat. (I'd lease an AM under the same circumstances.)

DJ

Which is the real KYA ,On weekend in Clovis I recieve KYAF with Chris Edwards,the station Actual transmitter is in Firebaugh ,It seems to me they have a booster transmitter in Clovis.Can anyboby tell me the story with this station. They do a all request show on Saturday nights and Do they have a signal in the bay area?

kenrayc said:
Which is the real KYA ,On weekend in Clovis I recieve KYAF with Chris Edwards,the station Actual transmitter is in Firebaugh ,It seems to me they have a booster transmitter in Clovis.Can anyboby tell me the story with this station. They do a all request show on Saturday nights and Do they have a signal in the bay area?

KYAF is run by your Clovis neighbor, Verne White. He owns KYAF in Firebaugh and calls himself "Chris Edwards" on the air. Aside from jingles, it has nothing to do with the original KYA in San Francisco.

Odd that you aren't familiar with him.

KYAF does a very good job of serving the Golden Valley and greater metropolitan Firebaugh with a very eclectic mix of Oldies, from Country to Disco. I had the great pleasure of listening to it for quite a distance while driving down to L.A. from Yosemite several months ago.

DaveBayArea said:

I'll add a thought: SOMA-FM has some outstanding Internet-only stations. If you look at their website (http://somafm.com), Rusty is showing how many listeners there are on the various feeds, and the numbers are probably higher than what you'll find at any given time on some local over-the-air stations here.

Right now, for instance, Groove Salad has more than 3800 people tuned in. I was excited when we hit a few hundred on kyaradio.com a few days ago.

I have heard of Verne White ,I just didn't know he was imitating Chris Edwards. How about Johnny Mays is he for real? I stated to hear this station last spring, Even though the stream is 24-7 ,the signal on 94.7 is stong on the weekends in Clovis.
BossRadioDJ said:
kenrayc said:

KYAF is run by your Clovis neighbor, Verne White. He owns KYAF in Firebaugh and calls himself "Chris Edwards" on the air. Aside from jingles, it has nothing to do with the original KYA in San Francisco.

Odd that you aren't familiar with him.

KYAF does a very good job of serving the Golden Valley and greater metropolitan Firebaugh with a very eclectic mix of Oldies, from Country to Disco. I had the great pleasure of listening to it for quite a distance while driving down to L.A. from Yosemite several months ago.

I'm listen to the stream of KYA 1260 this is the original,I grew up with Boss radio KYNO the big 13 #1,The station built by Bil Drake and Bobby Ocean.Of course we all know that,this one is better than 94.7.

kenrayc said:
I'm listen to the stream of KYA 1260 this is the original,I grew up with Boss radio KYNO the big 13 #1,The station built by Bil Drake and Bobby Ocean.Of course we all know that,this one is better than 94.7.

Of course, before his first consulting work for Gene Chenault and Knox Larue at KYNO and KSTN (respectively), Bill Drake was morning man and program director at ... 1260/KYA.

And Bobby Ocean, before heading to Fresno in 1968 (as Johnny Scott), served time as Radio Ray Farrell at Pittsburg/Concord's KKIS (990 AM) in 1967. Osh is an amazing artist, and some of his early work is on display on the museum website:

http://www.sfradiomuseum.com/stn_images/kkis_radio-ray-cartoon_jan-1967.shtml

Wow - I didn't know about Bobby's KKIS connection. I first heard him in the summer of 1970 on Drake consulted 136/KGB while I was free-loading and surfing on San Diego beaches. Also discovered Lee Baby Sims on competitor KCBQ. Great summer...great radio.

RadioStarOne said:

Huh? KFRC 106.9 had a bunch of personality DJs and nobody listened to them! Vaudeville is dead; it's time for the stars to get other jobs. Seriously. I'm not trying to be mean here, just real. CBS tried two incarnations of KFRC, and with personalities both times, and it didn't work!

DavidKaye said:
RadioStarOne said:

Huh? KFRC 106.9 had a bunch of personality DJs and nobody listened to them! Vaudeville is dead; it's time for the stars to get other jobs. Seriously. I'm not trying to be mean here, just real. CBS tried two incarnations of KFRC, and with personalities both times, and it didn't work!

Are you kidding? I never got attached to the weakly programmed station that was 106.9/KFRC, so I don't care about a farewell show... But which one of these people were "personality DJs?" I guess you could save Dave and Celeste were just because they had typical morning show chatter. I guess you could stretch and say Sue Hall was a personality DJ at 99.7 when they gave her some air time.

But most of the DJs only got about 15 seconds of air-time for every 5 song set. Each set opened and closed with a pre-recorded image liner, and most songs segued into each other with an additional pre-recorded liner or a 70s era KFRC jingle. They had one chance per set to make a quick joke or read some trivia item on the talk-up to one song. Hardly enough time to show any personality. Coffey was the only jock (outside of mornings) allowed to talk into the stop-set because he had to intro the traffic reporter.

I don't understand why stations bother to employ disc jockeys if they only want them to talk for a couple of minutes total every hour. The pre-recorded "Maxwell" guy on Max-FM showed more personality (and had more air time) than the KFRC jocks were allowed.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom