TV Shows That Had Trouble In Certain Regions Of The County - Page 3
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: TV Shows That Had Trouble In Certain Regions Of The County

Re: TV Shows That Had Trouble In Certain Regions Of The County

On the Google message boards, I remember reading a poster about 5-6 years ago mentioning in many posts that from 1971-79, all of the Iowa NBC affiliates, except the then-WOC (now KWQC-6) Davenport (Quad Cities), ran "Hee Haw" from 6:30-7:30 on Friday nights, preempting/bumping "Sanford and Son" for its ENTIRE 1972-77 run. This was most likely a ratings-related decision (as well as the fact that most Iowa ABC affiliates ran Lawrence Welk Saturdays at 6PM, likely explaining the decision to air HH on Friday nights).

The first season (spring 1978) of "Incredible Hulk" went unseen in central Illinois as the region's two CBS affiliates (WMBD-31 Peoria and WCIA-3 Champaign) bumped the early episodes for reruns of "Streets of San Francisco" (IIRC probably just WMBD, I don't recall if WCIA aired this program too). IH was added to these affiliates' lineups in fall 1978, but within a year another Illinois CBS affiliate, WHBF-4 Rock Island (Quad Cities) bumped off an entire season of the Hulk for "Hee Haw" from 7-8 PM Fridays during the '79-80 season (then rejoined the network for "Dukes of Hazzard" and "Dallas"). I'm sure that WHBF's decision was ratings-based (IIRC by about this time they were starting to lose ground as the top-rated station in the Quad Cities market--they are now the traditional third-place station in the QC's), perhaps seeing HH as a better Friday night lead-in where the audience would likely remained tuned into channel 4 for Dukes and Dallas.

Inactive

Has there ever been a case where a CABLE SYSTEM blocked out a certain TV show over content? Not talking about some cable system down south ( or wherever ) that refused to offer a certain channel like MTV, TV Land or even Showtime, talking about one certain show.

A few years back I have heard about some cable company that pre-empted HBO's OZ over its use of extreme violence and male nudity, I have heard the same thing about Showtime's Queer As Folk and HBO's Six Feet Under as well.

if a cable system did that with HBO, Showtime or any network couldn't they find themeslves in big trouble?

what about OTA stations?

Lets use the Comcast cable system in Martinsburg, West Virginia for example. There they get two ABC affiliates on cable ( DC's WJLA and Baltimore's WMAR ). Supposed the city councill or mayor of Martinsburg didn't approve of the TV show Desperate Housewives, could they say to Comcast "..we dont want that show on your cable system, if you carry it..we will take away your franchise license" could the local Comcast block out both WMAR and WJLA for that one hour the show airs? if a cable system does have this power..I wonde rhow often it has happened in the past?

Quote Originally Posted by mleach
    Has there ever been a case where a CABLE SYSTEM blocked out a certain TV show over content? Not talking about some cable system down south ( or wherever ) that refused to offer a certain channel like MTV, TV Land or even Showtime, talking about one certain show.

A few years back I have heard about some cable company that pre-empted HBO's OZ over its use of extreme violence and male nudity, I have heard the same thing about Showtime's Queer As Folk and HBO's Six Feet Under as well.

if a cable system did that with HBO, Showtime or any network couldn't they find themeslves in big trouble?

what about OTA stations?

Lets use the Comcast cable system in Martinsburg, West Virginia for example. There they get two ABC affiliates on cable ( DC's WJLA and Baltimore's WMAR ). Supposed the city councill or mayor of Martinsburg didn't approve of the TV show Desperate Housewives, could they say to Comcast "..we dont want that show on your cable system, if you carry it..we will take away your franchise license" could the local Comcast block out both WMAR and WJLA for that one hour the show airs? if a cable system does have this power..I wonde rhow often it has happened in the past?
    Back in the day, a cable company could get away with that. Since the debut of Dish and Direct, that doesn't work as well.

There was an issue earlier this year in Huntsville, AL. "Technical Difficulties" happened when 60 Minutes did the story on the former Alabama Governor. There were accusations the station created the difficulties.

Quote Originally Posted by mleach
    Hispanic groups tried to have Howard Stern's old E! show blocked in Houston when he made a tasteless joke about the murdered Tejano star Selena.
    Formerly bhayes1016<br />Superman wears Jack Bauer underoos.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    WLS-TV Channel 7 did this as well and it was (and still is) owned by ABC (Disney)
    Except that ABC was not owned by Disney in 1977
    Classic Television must always be preserved!

Prior to politics, the late Jesse Helms had significant control of WRAL Raleigh, NC. He became irate when David Brinkley did a story on desegregation. WRAL dropped the Huntley/Brinkley Report as well as its NBC primary affiliation. I noticed on this message board the Huntley/Brinkley Report aired on WUNC when it was banned on WRAL.

Weren't there some local affiliates that refused to run Will and Grace early on in the show's run? I think I recall reading this, although I'm not certain and definitely don't know which affiliates voiced disagreement about it.

nightfly61

Like radio, aren't networks "checking up" on their affiliates to see if they're running what they should? Don't they have a trade out with spots to make up DURING those shows? I'm sure they can run the spots during re-runs of Seinfeld, but you'd think there's some sort of clause in their contract that says they have to air the new shows.(?)
    CKLW Radio,(sorry to jump back to radio) Windsor not only does not air ANY network spots they are supposed to run in return for airing the show when Coast To Coast AM is running overnights...but their snobby women's lib estrogen fueled morning show downgrades Coast To Coast when they come in after 5am. IMHO I believe it's the only reason I listen to CKLW. I used to like Art Bell's "stupid callers" promo that ran for a while. You never heard it on 'ole 'CK though! PSA's or junky Satellite Sisters promos got slapped overtop of it. > > >

WAPT Jackson, MS banned NYPD Blue for a while. they also banned the "Rossanne" lesbo kiss episode. WLBT Jackson banned a film called "Freedom Road" starring Mohamad Ali. I believe "Here's Sidney" starring Tony Randell was either banned or threatened due to its gay theme, until the writers toned it down. I remember seeing the short lived show so I don't know if it was actually pulled or not.
    In nearly every case of a yanked episode they pull it off in its first run but you see later when it plays in reruns in syndication. WLBT should have banned an ER episode which made the Mississippi look like a third world country. That one created a firestorm and some people in the medical profession were ready to open up a can.

Our grandparents would be shocked to see what they are getting away with on broadcast tv these days.
    We went from Lucy and Ricky sleeping in seperate beds to gay make-out scenes in Desperate Housewives etc. I guess we can blame Archie Bunker for flushing the toilet for the first time on TV. I would have never known the Ricardo's even had a bathroom if Tennesee Ernie Ford hadn't whispered in Ricky's ear asking where it was. "In the House??" It's been going downhill (or uphill depending on how you look at it) ever since.

KSL-TV still does not air Saturday Night Live. It airs on a CW or MyNetwork affiliate. Although I recall a few years ago, the cable company inadvertently placed a video feed of HBO and which was airing the "Mr Show With Bob & David" one early weekend morning with the audo from KSL's morning newscast.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/...in529385.shtml

In 1989, the Oklahoma City TBN station encouraged viewers to call Cox & Multimedia cable and protest Cinemax airing "The Last Temptation of Christ". Multimedia caved, and pre-empted it initially. Cox refused to, and subsequently removed the local TBN station from their lineup. Cable operators could do that at the time, assumingly.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast