TV Shows That Had Trouble In Certain Regions Of The County - Page 4
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: TV Shows That Had Trouble In Certain Regions Of The County

Re: TV Shows That Had Trouble In Certain Regions Of The County

Quote Originally Posted by flytrap
    I believe "Here's Sidney" starring Tony Randell was either banned or threatened due to its gay theme, until the writers toned it down. I remember seeing the short lived show so I don't know if it was actually pulled or not.
    That was Love, Sidney and it was only the original TV-movie/pilot that explicitly pegged his character as gay -- in the regular series it was very obliquely implied in subtle ways, but not very strongly.

Our grandparents would be shocked to see what they are getting away with on broadcast tv these days.
    We went from Lucy and Ricky sleeping in seperate beds to gay make-out scenes in Desperate Housewives etc. I guess we can blame Archie Bunker for flushing the toilet for the first time on TV. I would have never known the Ricardo's even had a bathroom if Tennesee Ernie Ford hadn't whispered in Ricky's ear asking where it was. "In the House??" It's been going downhill (or uphill depending on how you look at it) ever since.
    I was just talking about that with my 80-year old mother the other day (who, bless her heart, is not much offended by anything anymore) and wondering how her Italian-Catholic mother, my grandmother, would have reacted to commercials for sex stimulants, birth control, and personal lubricants. Mamma Mia! I remember when Pepto-Bismol started that commercial with the nerdy guy saying "Hi...I'd like to talk to you about....diarrhea." The first time my grandmother saw that commercial, it happened to come on during a meal, and the sound of the fork dropping onto her plate as she stared in open-mouthed horror could be heard throughout the house.....

Quote Originally Posted by milton77
    KSL-TV still does not air Saturday Night Live. It airs on a CW or MyNetwork affiliate.
    Before the SLC affiliation/ownership musical chairs, then-NBC affil KUTV
    for years delayed SNL until 11:30 MT, rather than in pattern at 10:30.
    Save AM radio...kill I-CRAP.

During the late 1970's, NBC stations had trouble carrying shows due to low ratings and it was the Friday at 7:00 and 7:30 PM time slot which had the most troubles, in some listings, instead of showing the Richard Benjamin sci-fi comedy "Quark" in early 1978, they were airing either reruns of Mary Tyler Moore, The Odd Couple, or syndicated shows like Dolly! and Pop Goes The Country. I think that even the first episodes of Diff'rent Strokes that were airing on Fridays were either not shown or delayed.

I have some San Antonio Express TV Guides from San Antonio from 1973 that showed that KSAT-12 didn't air the Shirley Booth comedy "A Touch of Grace" and the Larry Hagman comedy "Here We Go Again" some weeks and aired Lawrence Welk instead.

WSAZ Huntington-Charleston, WV would not clear "Saturday Night Live" during its first few seasons. It presumably had nothing to do with content, because at one point it would run a week's worth of "Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman" Saturdays at 11:30pm.

WSAZ was, and still is, NBC highest-rated affiliate.

WCHS-TV Charleston, WV wouldn't clear "The CBS Thursday Night Movies" in favor of Elvis Presley films. It was a financial issue. More money for local spots.

Come to think of it, all 3 network affiliates in that market were notorious for not clearing quite a few shows in the 70s.

Inactive

Our grandparents would be shocked to see what they are getting away with on broadcast tv these days.
    We went from Lucy and Ricky sleeping in seperate beds to gay make-out scenes in Desperate Housewives etc. I guess we can blame Archie Bunker for flushing the toilet for the first time on TV. I would have never known the Ricardo's even had a bathroom if Tennesee Ernie Ford hadn't whispered in Ricky's ear asking where it was. "In the House??" It's been going downhill (or uphill depending on how you look at it) ever since.
    Its the exact same thing with radio too. There was a time when in order to get a job as a radio announcer one had to speak good English and have the most highest in moral standards. I have heard over the years that back in the 30's and 40's, radio announcers actually were required to be married before they could be heard on the air. But in the 1950s and 1960s when rock & roll and country music started to take over the radio airwaves..a lot of those rules it seemed to slowly disappear. Imagine a radio listener from the 1940's getting into a time machine and transport themselves to 2008 and they turn on the radio ( OTA or satellite ) and hear Howard Stern, Mancow , Rush or even many of the local jocks today? They would be shocked !!!!

Going back to this topic..forgot one big show that ran into problems...Jerry Springer !!! The one show he did featuring people who were having sex with their animals like the man who "married" his horse or the woman and another male guest who really "enjoyed" their German Shepherds. I remember hearing that some local stations actually ran into problems with their local police if they even aired that one episode since people having sexual relations with animals is totally illegal.

Even though that Springer episode never did air on regular TV in full, I believe it was at one time available on pay-per-view.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Rattigan
    WSAZ Huntington-Charleston, WV would not clear "Saturday Night Live" during its first few seasons. It presumably had nothing to do with content, because at one point it would run a week's worth of "Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman" Saturdays at 11:30pm.
    In Mid-Michigan, WNEM (NBC at the time) also didn't carry SNL until 1980, opting to show movies instead, though they always shown the prime-time specials. As with WSAZ above, it was very likely over ad money than content.

For the first couple of years or so of SNL, WRCB/3
    Chattanooga pre-empted and ran "The 700 Club,"
    of all things! WFBC (WYFF)/4 Greenville, SC also
    pre-empted SNL until, IIRC, the fourth year in favor
    of movies.

"One Life To Live" ran into some problems in 1976
    over an interracial-romance storyline. I remember
    WGHP High Point, NC and (IIRC) WLOS Asheville, NC
    and WLKY Louisville dropping the show until ABC gave
    in and killed the story. Yet a few years later "All My
    Children" on the same network did one and nobody
    dropped it. Progress.

...for whatever reason, WFRV/5 Green Bay and WJMN/3 Escanaba ran repeats of Rod Serling's Night Gallery instead of Tomorrow with Tom Snyder or The Midnight Special for those two shows' earliest years. They also bumped Late Night with David Letterman to put on reruns of Star Trek before WLUK/11 picked up Letterman and the rest of the NBC output...
    King Daevid MacKenzie

nightfly61

Even though I didn't watch much t,v in the '90s I think early 90's is where it started getting real raunchy. The "crossing of the fine line" to me was Married With Children", then Unhappily Ever After, & finally the Simpsons, Beavis & Butthead & South Park. Quite a few had those "I can't believe they're getting away with that" moments I'd be emeberrassed sitting thru with my own parents & I was in my 20s!
    Just last night we were eating dinner & the Simpsons was on in the living room & out of the corner of my ear I hear them mention a penis. I looked at the clock & it was 8:10pm. Nice to hear if you had grandma over for Sunday dinner. Funny that in '75 you could have Sunday dinner with Carol Burnette & Sonny & Cher-now it's stuff even I don't care to hear like "Family Guy".
    Once they started making trashy cartoons I think that sped up the downward spiral of "Generation Xers" ways & our whole soulless younger society in general.
    Ewww, I just sounded like Dr. Laura .

"Sing Along With Mitch" with Mitch Miller, a NBC program I believe, in the very early 60s, was banned on many southern stations. Mitch's sidekick and a prominant part of the show was Lessle Uggams, a young African American woman. The Ed Sullivan Show was also dropped by some southern stations after he started adding black guests such as Sammy Davis. I don't think the week-day version of American Bandstand was shown on any North Carolina station after it was integrated. I lived in VA, and I was amazed when NONE of my NC cousins had never heard of the show. I'm sure no Raleigh, Greensboro, or Charlotte station carried AB in the mid 60s. Diann Carrol's "Julia" had very scant carrage in the south in the late 60's. I'm thankful that, for all their sins, the Richmond VA stations never pre-empted network shows because they featured black characters/performers. We even got the old "Nat King Cole Show" which was pre-empted by almost all southern stations.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast