• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

What were you watching when.....?

Also now the Virginia Riots and Trump's handling of the situation was crazy. Well cable news has declared this the new Trump scandal of the day given how he rants in the press conference.

I am beginning to wonder if we are at the stage when social media will surpass the usual media ( CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX, AP etc..) for people to get the latest news ?? Makes me shudder to think that there are people out there who think someone like Kevin Cowger a bartender in Los Angeles or Bill Shaw an employee for the Columbus, Ohio post office and their Facebook rants has more credibility than CNN. Scary !!!!

Last edited:
I am beginning to wonder if we are at the stage when social media will surpass the usual media ( CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX, AP etc..) for people to get the latest news ?? Makes me shudder to think that there are people out there who think someone like Kevin Cowger a bartender in Los Angeles or Bill Shaw an employee for the Columbus, Ohio post office and their Facebook rants has more credibility than CNN. Scary !!!!

Only for stupid people. I get almost all my news from the internet now, but I get it from legitimate news sites, not social media sites.

I don't think it was televised, but i remember ABC showing footage of the Camp Randall stampede at the end of the Michigan-Wisconsin game. They showed it during the Penn State-Ohio State game.

Only for stupid people. I get almost all my news from the internet now, but I get it from legitimate news sites, not social media sites.

Unfortunately there are many of those. For example a death of a child in San Diego from rat bite fever. CNN and the other news sites say this event was very VERY rare. However from JD Smith out of Fort Wayne, Indiana on Facebook says this is common and the news media was protecting pet stores like Petco and people should get rid of rats and mice right now and to "...do it for the child !!'. He had over 5000 postings and all of them sided with him ( lots of "you JD are spot on" ) including one girl who had mice for pets for the last ten years who was about to "burn them" and of course all of the postings I read everyone knew someone who had contacted rat bite fever so they said anyway. It was clear that people trusted this 22 year old guy from Indiana who probably never had such a pet than they did with CBS News. I could not believe it !!

Oh the family tried to sue Petco over this but Petco won and JD Smith didn't report that. I am like you...news only from legitmate news sites well except for Yahoo but that is a different story.

Unfortunately there are many of those. For example a death of a child in San Diego from rat bite fever. CNN and the other news sites say this event was very VERY rare. However from JD Smith out of Fort Wayne, Indiana on Facebook says this is common and the news media was protecting pet stores like Petco and people should get rid of rats and mice right now and to "...do it for the child !!'. He had over 5000 postings and all of them sided with him ( lots of "you JD are spot on" ) including one girl who had mice for pets for the last ten years who was about to "burn them" and of course all of the postings I read everyone knew someone who had contacted rat bite fever so they said anyway. It was clear that people trusted this 22 year old guy from Indiana who probably never had such a pet than they did with CBS News. I could not believe it !!

Oh the family tried to sue Petco over this but Petco won and JD Smith didn't report that. I am like you...news only from legitmate news sites well except for Yahoo but that is a different story.

Depressing! But I get your point. I had a Facebook argument with an anti-vaxxer who had posted a bunch of videos on FB regarding the evils of vaccination. Very unscientific, and emotional propaganda. So now you've got me wondering if a lot of the anti-vaccine hysteria was spread by social media. Probably.

I can't remember what plane crash it was, but i was watching Dark Shadows on NBC when it happened. Was it USAir Flight 1493? The one where two planes collided on the runway? It was in 1991.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ornLfTCojnc

The Oakland Hills fire in 1991 certainly the Bay Area media was all over that story due to downtown Oakland and UC Berkeley under threat by those fires at the time. Fast forward to 2017 and the Norcal wildfires.

In 2017 I see multiple counties in Northern California affected with this wildfire with national and Bay Area news crews focusing on Napa and Sonoma.
Sacramento News Crews are at Yuba, Nevada and Solano Counties (Note Solano County at this time is getting voluntary evacuation for Fairfield though).

Santa Rosa especially since its the largest city to get hit by the fires.

http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/south-carolina-meteorologist-unleashes-on-angry-viewers/195848

https://www.facebook.com/EdPiotrowskiWPDE/posts/10155882411092716

WPDE has been a target of a rant over the weather alert that happen to interrupt a show. In this case its a tornado alert.

South Carolina Meteorologist Unleashes on Angry Viewers

WPDE meteorologist, Ed Piotrowski, gave viewers in the Myrtle Beach-Florence, South Carolina market a piece of his mind.

On Monday night, at 10:20pm, he says a Tornado Warning came into the station. At that time, Piotrowski broke into ABC programming. The Good Doctor was on the air. That’s when he says, in a lengthy Facebook post, that emails came in.

“As you might imagine, people came out of the woodworks and let me have it. In one email, a guy wrote: “Get off the TV! If someone dies, it’s their fault!”. I’m serious. That’s exactly what he typed then actually hit send. In another email, a woman wrote: “I hope your TV station gets hit and you’re in it. Put The Good Doctor back on!”, he said in his Facebook post.

Piotrowski says he stayed on air for 19 minutes until the warning was lifted. The station returned to programming at 10:40pm.

“Let me be clear. I make no apologies for interrupting The Good Doctor last night. I know it was the right thing to do,” he said.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom