• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Best AAA station

The links provides are awesome and I'll check out the ones I haven't heard on suggestion.

1. WXRV - Boston
2. WXRT - Chi
3. WCLZ - Portland, Me

Cities 97 is my favorite!
Next up is probably Capital 106.3 from Des Moines. Haven't seen them mentioned yet.
Triple M in Madison, WI is not bad, 92.9 in Atlanta I like as well.

I'll give a shout to another non-comm AAA, this one in my area, 91.3 The Summit in Akron, OH. Bill Gruber runs a great operation!

Zeb Norris said:
Wow... thanks for all the mentions of WNCS and our sister station WXRV! We're honored!

Well earned. I hit the sunday AM show today and it sounded great

Re: In no particular order...

LA_Guy said:
In no particular order...

http://www.theradio.com (pick an AAA artist-try different ones!)

I gotta say, I tried this site's Triple A Rock station out and I'm pretty impressed. It's kinda like what XM's "Top Tracks" or "Lucy" would be like if they played Triple-A music instead of respectively classic rock and '90s alt/modern rock. It's like a "greatest hits" of the Triple A world, with the occasional deep track (the latter would include Elvis Costello's "Sweet Dreams"). To me that's a pretty good balance! And since Triple-A is a genre that comprises of various sides of the rock spectrum, there should be at least 1000 or so songs if not more, and I'd be fine with that. It's cool that you can fast-forward through anything you don't like. That being said, here's the first 20 songs I heard on there:

1. "Old Enough" - The Raconteurs
2. "Speed of Sound" - Coldplay
3. "Beautiful Day" - U2
4. "What Are You Like?" - Indigo Girls
5. "Misery" - Soul Asylum
6. "Should I Stay Or Should I Go?" - The Clash
7. "Three Little Birds" - Bob Marley
8. "Learn to Fly" - Foo Fighters
9. "Ants Marching" - Dave Matthews Band
10. "My Moon, My Man" - Feist
11. "Miss You" - The Rolling Stones
12. "Airstream Driver" - Gomez
13. "Need You Tonight" - INXS
14. "Gone Gone Gone (Done Moved On)" - Robert Plant and Allison Krauss
15. "Crack the Shutters" - Snow Patrol
16. "Read My Mind" - The Killers
17. "The Zephyr Song" - Red Hot Chili Peppers
18. "Roll to Me" - Del Amitri
19. "December" - Collective Soul
20. "One Thing Leads to Another" - The Fixx

I know that a "greatest hits" station can get repetitious from time to time, but I just find it neat to find out what theradio.com considers to be AAA's "greatest hits" since it goes all over the map. Plus it also has the old and the new so I can catch up to the newest tracks and enjoy some old faves at the same time. This station rocked!!

Rich said:
WRNR/Baltimore :)

I second that. I was listening online the other night (morning US time), and was impressed with the morning drive. It was very smooth and entertaining, without being in your face. The music was great too. They threw up some very quirky stuff (Nancy Sinartra), but it worked for me.

Re: In no particular order...

TripleAGeek said:
LA_Guy said:
In no particular order...

http://www.theradio.com (pick an AAA artist-try different ones!)

I gotta say, I tried this site's Triple A Rock station out and I'm pretty impressed. It's kinda like what XM's "Top Tracks" or "Lucy" would be like if they played Triple-A music instead of respectively classic rock and '90s alt/modern rock. It's like a "greatest hits" of the Triple A world, with the occasional deep track (the latter would include Elvis Costello's "Sweet Dreams"). To me that's a pretty good balance! And since Triple-A is a genre that comprises of various sides of the rock spectrum, there should be at least 1000 or so songs if not more, and I'd be fine with that. It's cool that you can fast-forward through anything you don't like. That being said, here's the first 20 songs I heard on there:

1. "Old Enough" - The Raconteurs
2. "Speed of Sound" - Coldplay
3. "Beautiful Day" - U2
4. "What Are You Like?" - Indigo Girls
5. "Misery" - Soul Asylum
6. "Should I Stay Or Should I Go?" - The Clash
7. "Three Little Birds" - Bob Marley
8. "Learn to Fly" - Foo Fighters
9. "Ants Marching" - Dave Matthews Band
10. "My Moon, My Man" - Feist
11. "Miss You" - The Rolling Stones
12. "Airstream Driver" - Gomez
13. "Need You Tonight" - INXS
14. "Gone Gone Gone (Done Moved On)" - Robert Plant and Allison Krauss
15. "Crack the Shutters" - Snow Patrol
16. "Read My Mind" - The Killers
17. "The Zephyr Song" - Red Hot Chili Peppers
18. "Roll to Me" - Del Amitri
19. "December" - Collective Soul
20. "One Thing Leads to Another" - The Fixx

I know that a "greatest hits" station can get repetitious from time to time, but I just find it neat to find out what theradio.com considers to be AAA's "greatest hits" since it goes all over the map. Plus it also has the old and the new so I can catch up to the newest tracks and enjoy some old faves at the same time. This station rocked!!

Then again, it kinda wears out after a couple listens XP

I like non-comm 89.3 The Current in the Twin Cities, although it's arguably straight-up Alternative. If they put it on a translator or an HD2/HD3 on my local MPR stations, I'd donate a kidney to them!

95.7 The Bridge in Duluth is a great AAA from a music standpoint. Deep tracks from Bob Marley, stuff from under the radar bands like Wheat and My Morning Jacket, tons of cool female singer-songwriter music, etc.

I'll give a little love to KTBG "The Bridge" which is a non-comm licensed to Warrensburg, Missouri, but easily received in Kansas City. They're also an NPR station, so music hours are 9am-4:30pm and 7pm-5am weekdays, plus most hours on weekends. They lean toward new music, and folk/alt-country.

11am-1pm today (from their website):
Eric Lindell-"Give it Time"
Bela Fleck-"Thula Mama"
Duncan Sheik-"White Limousine"
Adele and the Racontoeurs-"Many Shades of Black"
Yonder Mountain String Band-"How About You"
Umphrey's McGee-"Cemetery Walk"
Marvin Gaye-"What's Going On"
Vienna Tang-"White Light"
Ziggy Marley-"Dragonfly"
Bruce Springsteen-"My Lucky Day"
Jackson Browne-"I'm Alive"
M. Ward-"Never Had Nobody Like You"
Chris Whitley-"Radar"
Ingrid Michaelson-"Breakable"
Wild Light-"California On My Mind"
Kooks-"Always Where I Need to Be"
Raphael Sadiq-"100 Yard Dash"
Iron and Wine-"Love Song of the Buzzard"
William Fitzsimmons-"If You Would Come Back Home"
CSNY-"Wooden Ships"
Ben Harper-"Shimmer and Shine"
Bob Dylan-"Spirit on the Water"
Oren Lavie-"Her Morning Elegance"
Dar Williams-"Closer to Me"
Serena Ryder-"Little Bit of Red"
Eric Clapton-"Let It Grow"
G. Love-"Hot Cooking"

franksandhotdogs said:
I like non-comm 89.3 The Current in the Twin Cities, although it's arguably straight-up Alternative. If they put it on a translator or an HD2/HD3 on my local MPR stations, I'd donate a kidney to them!

95.7 The Bridge in Duluth is a great AAA from a music standpoint. Deep tracks from Bob Marley, stuff from under the radar bands like Wheat and My Morning Jacket, tons of cool female singer-songwriter music, etc.

Wow. “The Bridge” sounds like an interesting station. But, I don’t live there, and I just checked, and the thing doesn’t stream. Darn it! I’d really like to hear that station.

--The Radio Kid
(Oswego, NY.)
My email: [email protected].

theradiokid said:
franksandhotdogs said:
I like non-comm 89.3 The Current in the Twin Cities, although it's arguably straight-up Alternative.  If they put it on a translator or an HD2/HD3 on my local MPR stations, I'd donate a kidney to them!

95.7 The Bridge in Duluth is a great AAA from a music standpoint.  Deep tracks from Bob Marley, stuff from under the radar bands like Wheat and My Morning Jacket, tons of cool female singer-songwriter music, etc.

Wow.  “The Bridge” sounds like an interesting station.  But, I don’t live there, and I just checked, and the thing doesn’t stream.  Darn it!  I’d really like to hear that station.

--The Radio Kid
(Oswego, NY.)
My email:  [email protected].

I don't live in Duluth either, but I've heard it the couple of times I was there in the past year.  The station has no "tight board" sound, either.  Song fades completely out, then the sweeper kicks in.  If it goes song to song, at times it sounds like an album.  Not CD, but good ol' vinyl, in a manner of speaking.  Judging by the station and cluster's history, it'll probably flip soon.

The previous format was pretty interesting as well, presented the same way as it is now (no "tight board" sound)...I loved hearing Billy Idol "Eyes Without a Face" after Seals & Crofts whenever I was up there ;D

I've been very impressed by commercial AAA KDEC "FM 100.5" in Decorah, IA. They recently started streaming at kdecradio.com. Diverse playlist, anything from Arctic Monkeys to Tori Amos. Truly "album" inclusive and going beyond the obvious charted AAA tracks at times. Friendly staff that really care about the listeners and the community, and I enjoy their low-key voiceover artist.

1. WXRT - Chicago
2. KPRI - San Diego - Favorite city.
3. WXPK - Suburban New York City: Former favorite now too much Classic Rock.
4. KFOG - San Francisco!

Just wanna mention my favorite AAA in the world: WRSI in Northampton MA & Brattleboro VT. Practically free form, a pleasure to listen to when I'm out there. Makes WXRV sound like Top 40..

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom