• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Best AAA station

Used to be KINK, but that was years ago. Then in 2009 Alpha Broadcasting took it over from CBS and turned it into yet more "Portland proud" rubbish (gotta toe the party line), and like most of Bumland radio over the last decade it QUICKLY went off the rails and down the crapper. Though KINK really started losing its kink when they dropped "Lights Out". Lame.

Sadly nobody has come along (and probably won't) to pick up the ball Alpha dropped. The station now is just a blown-out shell of what it once was, kind of like late-2010s post-Mood Foreground Music One.

I have been listening to Radio Woodstock 100.1 (radiowoodstock.com) the last few days and love the music they play and the playlist. I might try and listen to the station more. I still enjoy listening to 88.5 FM Los Angeles (885fm.org) and XPN Philly (xpn.org). Both of those stations are just fantastic AAA stations all around.

KCSN/KSBR (88.5 FM), KVNA, and KHUM.

KVNA is the traditional AAA format: Putting artists back to back like Jimi Hendrix, Cowboy Junkies, Pearl Jam, The Byrd's, Bob Marley, etc. All eras, styles, and decades of rock from the 60's to the present.

88.5 is similar, but with a more intriguing playlist, and they have Mookie on board. One of the best rock PD's ever .

KHUM, which is fun and adventurous to listen. You never know what they might play next.

The best in my opinion was KEZX 98.9/1150 Seattle. They were one of the earliest pioneers of not only the AAA format. But Smooth Jazz as well. Often combining them.

Here's a KEZX aircheck collection from 1988. No imaging of any kind, except a live mention of the call letters between some tracks, album cuts galore. But through it all, a method to the madness.

They weren't highly rated, but they had a crazy loyal listenership. Who typically had a taste for European cars, pho noodle soup, coffeeshops and Bang & Olufsen stereos. Long, long before today's hipsters.

But there was also a real organicness to it. Something that probably isn't doable again in today's radio environment.

I have been trying to listen to more and more AAA stations:
Still really enjoy OWow Radio at owow.radio, they play some good deep tracks with newer music and constantly change their playlist so you can hear different stuff as the year goes along.
I have become a huge fan of WXPN Philadelphia. I started listening when they did the 50th anniversary Woodstock stuff and have continued listening since. I even added their mobile app to my smartphone. I love their presentation plus their music mix throughout the day. Especially enjoy Funky Friday every Friday afternoon. The only thing I hate is that after 8 pm they do a lot of specialty shows and don't play the same stuff as the morning and afternoon shifts.

Stations I like but don't really get that into:
WFPK Louisville: not a bad station but they do more alternative than anything and not really any older music. Not my cup of tea.
WEHM Long Island: It's actually a great station and I like the music they play but I have trouble getting their online stream to work or it cuts out after a few songs. I tried listening to it on TuneIn but then the song list doesn't update.
WXRT: I really like this station also but just hate that it has commercials, I know it's a terrestrial station and owned by Entercom, but just hate hearing commercials after hearing non commercial AAA stations. Probably being too picky here I will admit.

If there are any other good ones to try I would love to hear any suggestions from others!
WXPN - You know that one already - KCSN Public in LA - KXT - Dallas Public - KZOT but geared to the boomers - Of course the old stand bye Radio Paradise - How about 50 Years Of Rock & Blues - KZHP (KZAP in Sacramento California ) WMVY Martha Vineyard in Mass Public Radio .

I think I have a new favorite AAA, I just can't stop listening to iHeart's KBCO in Denver, CO. This is not a format that IHeart does, but it's a longtime popular heritage AAA, so they don't mess with it .

They are my go to station to hear new artists, along with a well curated AAA playlist. Basically, it's one great song after another They seem to have this down to a science.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom