• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Casey Kasem now on KJR FM

AQH said:
Bongwater said:
How many focus groups for radio have I either moderated or observed?

None.

Have I HEARD the damn results?

YES.

It's okay to say it Larry, you don't know what you're talking about.

CBS and Clear Channel have frozen their budgets for nearly a year now. No new hires, no promotions, no research or focus groups for nearly a year.

OK AQH, you're right. I haven't had the time or care to give a rat's fanny on who's going where (or not) inside CBS/Clear Channel HQ. Some of us lead less mundane lives.

It's in spite of the now Jurassic focus research or whatever people are currently using, since you seem to be a better "expert" than me (oh, where would you be without Arbitron?) and unhumorously shoot-down any (yes, albeit half-witted) suggestion that COULD finally bring the miracle we've been praying for since 1996, then what the hell do YOU suggest for a brand new radio format that can finally reverse the tide?

Remember, it's the end result that people are listening to. Not the office bullcrap. Hard for an expert like yourself to see that, but it's true.

You've got some answers? I hope.....

Grindlfan said:
Ummmmmmmm, Like I said, I was there. I mingled with other participants. That is how I know many were out of work, and yes, many were losers. While not all who are unfortunately unemployed are losers, these bozos were strictly there for the money and free food.
And as for "biblical" views about so-called "true radio", it appears that you "son" have no clue as to who actually listens to radio. If you did, you would be paying more attention to people like me and others whom you have bestowed your scarasm and dubious wisdom on this site. I think you must either be one of the PDs with an inflated ego who programs strictly according to consultants and focus groups, or you are a consultant and/or run a research company yourself. In either case, the invectives I used to describe you in my former post still apply.

Thanks for the laugh this morning. :D

Bongwater said:
Some of us lead less mundane lives.

I'll think of that line the next time you post some thing about what's going on in Vancouver radio or when you bring up some truly outer-space thing like what the blood type was of the overnight jock on KYYX on this date in 1983.

Bongwater said:
It's in spite of the now Jurassic focus research or whatever people are currently using, since you seem to be a better "expert" than me (oh, where would you be without Arbitron?) and unhumorously shoot-down any (yes, albeit half-witted) suggestion that COULD finally bring the miracle we've been praying for since 1996, then what the hell do YOU suggest for a brand new radio format that can finally reverse the tide?

Better thinking to start.

There has never been a time when the consumer has so much power and so many options. And not just about radio, look at the election for example. If you want to find out more about any of the candidates, all you have to do is Google voting records or whatever stuff you want to find out about them. Gone are the days we just wait for the voter pamphlets in the mailbox. You can order a pizza from your computer. Heck, you can even buy a car on-line now. This is the kind of stuff that Telecom 96 has zero effect on.

The fact of the matter is there are numerous alternatives to radio. Look at news/talk for example: we have the power to have information sent to us on a silver platter, when WE want it.. I can (and so can anyone reading this) have the headlines of the day from Perth, Australia or Edinburgh, Scotland or Santiago, Chile sent to me on my iPhone (or whatever device you have) when I want them. And yes, the same can be done for news from Seattle, all on-demand, when you want it. You don't have to listen to Hersholt or Yeend and wade through the spots for the information you seek.

Technology is also why magazine and newspaper circulation numbers are down. Go e-mail the folks at The Seattle Times and see how they've been doing lately (that is, if the layoffs they've done recently haven't given you an indication).

Now think about the multitude of options people have for music stations. Not just streamies from other parts of the world, but there are sites out there that you can customize the playlist down to the title. Not to mention the BitTorrents, Limewires, Gnutellas (to name a few) that are out there for radio listeners. And then there's the iPods too.

When you put it all together, there are THOUSANDS of other options out there for the consumer. To blame it solely on "The Man" is a cop-out and disingenuous.

What do you do? If someone wants to cut me a big enough check, I'll be happy to go into detail. But for free, I'll tell you what NOT to do.

Stop thinking that the past is the answer.

Look at Detroit. In the emerging age of hybrids, they thought it would be a good idea to bring back the Camaro and Mustang. Now they're begging for government handouts to bail their sorry butts out.

That's why when I read this board and see things like "let's bring back Robin and Maynard" and "we need Pat O'Day back" or things of that ilk, it just makes me shake my head. Think about it; you're trying to counter the increasing amount of consumer options and technology here in the 21st century with things that were in radio's past up to 40 years ago. That just doesn't make any sense. Holding onto those kinds of security blankets adds to radio's pitiful image of not being innovators and continues to deliver a steady diet of regurgitation.

In closing, yes, there is some bad programming out there (some very good programming too, albeit in the minority). To just go in a blanket fashion to blame everything on "The Man" is just disingenuous and comes over more as a personal vendetta than a true display of today's radio reality.

I hope that answers your questions, Larry.

AQH said:
Grindlfan said:
Ummmmmmmm, Like I said, I was there. I mingled with other participants. That is how I know many were out of work, and yes, many were losers. While not all who are unfortunately unemployed are losers, these bozos were strictly there for the money and free food.
And as for "biblical" views about so-called "true radio", it appears that you "son" have no clue as to who actually listens to radio. If you did, you would be paying more attention to people like me and others whom you have bestowed your scarasm and dubious wisdom on this site. I think you must either be one of the PDs with an inflated ego who programs strictly according to consultants and focus groups, or you are a consultant and/or run a research company yourself. In either case, the invectives I used to describe you in my former post still apply.

Thanks for the laugh this morning. :D

Boy, who'd have thought we'd have a larger wind bag than Ike this week? AQH regains the title.

AQH said:
Bongwater said:
Some of us lead less mundane lives.

AQH said:
I'll think of that line the next time you post some thing about what's going on in Vancouver radio or when you bring up some truly outer-space thing like what the blood type was of the overnight jock on KYYX on this date in 1983.

My pleasure. Things are ACTUALLY HAPPENING in Vancouver radio. And I'm not sure of all the blood types of KYYX jocks, but there was blood circulating in them and you knew it. ;)....

Bongwater said:

AQH said:
Better thinking to start.

Cool! We're off to a flying start (finally!)

AQH said:
There has never been a time when the consumer has so much power and so many options. And not just about radio, look at the election for example. If you want to find out more about any of the candidates, all you have to do is Google voting records or whatever stuff you want to find out about them. Gone are the days we just wait for the voter pamphlets in the mailbox. You can order a pizza from your computer. Heck, you can even buy a car on-line now. This is the kind of stuff that Telecom 96 has zero effect on.

Ummmm......O...K.......

AQH said:
The fact of the matter is there are numerous alternatives to radio. Look at news/talk for example: we have the power to have information sent to us on a silver platter, when WE want it.. I can (and so can anyone reading this) have the headlines of the day from Perth, Australia or Edinburgh, Scotland or Santiago, Chile sent to me on my iPhone (or whatever device you have) when I want them. And yes, the same can be done for news from Seattle, all on-demand, when you want it. You don't have to listen to Hersholt or Yeend and wade through the spots for the information you seek.

Technology is also why magazine and newspaper circulation numbers are down. Go e-mail the folks at The Seattle Times and see how they've been doing lately (that is, if the layoffs they've done recently haven't given you an indication).

Now think about the multitude of options people have for music stations. Not just streamies from other parts of the world, but there are sites out there that you can customize the playlist down to the title. Not to mention the BitTorrents, Limewires, Gnutellas (to name a few) that are out there for radio listeners. And then there's the iPods too.

When you put it all together, there are THOUSANDS of other options out there for the consumer. To blame it solely on "The Man" is a cop-out and disingenuous.

OK, but blaming the very technology that allows us to have this nice conversation is the biggest cop out of all. The internet HAS changed everything and from what you just wrote, deep down inside, I think you got some festering issues with that. From the sound of it, it seems like you've just about given up all hope. Welcome to the club. The first beer's on me.

AQH said:
What do you do? If someone wants to cut me a big enough check, I'll be happy to go into detail. But for free, I'll tell you what NOT to do.

Ummm....do you know many teenagers? Young adults in college? Where do they get their music? Who influences their music choices? With the exception of college/public alternative stations like KEXP, KGRG, KUGS and others, it's mostly the internet, Sirius XM, Music Choice, MTV's digital channels, etc. these days. Radio is an old people's medium to them and they started thinking that way by the end of the '90s. Radio today is, a whole decade later, now trying to play catch-up. But it's still a decade too late. And not very much has changed at all since 1998. You now have HD Radio. GREAT! Now USE IT! Make it WORTH SOMETHING! What? You mean corporate management won't let you because they've cut back on everything? Or because you've simply hit the wall and cannot think outside of the box of a way of fixing it? Well, don't blame the internet or the kids for that. And I'm not blaming the "The Man", I'm blaming the suck up industry lobbyists that created Telecom '96 and radio industry people stuck in patterns that don't relate to today's young listener. They are VERY demanding. Back in the day, we took whatever we could get. Today, they can be choosy mothers with the cornacopia of delivery methods we never even dreamed of back then.

AQH said:
Look at Detroit. In the emerging age of hybrids, they thought it would be a good idea to bring back the Camaro and Mustang. Now they're begging for government handouts to bail their sorry butts out.

The radio industry does not make cars. If it did, the streets would be choked with corpses. Because nothing is working right, right now. Second, when they started remaking Camaros and Mustangs, gas wasn't $4 a gallon. But the writing was on the wall. However, if they had the fortitude to make a hybrid muscle car, combining the best of today's technology with the panache of the classics, they'd be up to here in orders. Think about that.
AQH said:
That's why when I read this board and see things like "let's bring back Robin and Maynard" and "we need Pat O'Day back" or things of that ilk, it just makes me shake my head. Think about it; you're trying to counter the increasing amount of consumer options and technology here in the 21st century with things that were in radio's past up to 40 years ago. That just doesn't make any sense. Holding onto those kinds of security blankets adds to radio's pitiful image of not being innovators and continues to deliver a steady diet of regurgitation.

"Think about it; you're trying to counter the increasing amount of consumer options and technology here in the 21st century with things that were in radio's past up to 40 years ago." "...continues to deliver a steady diet of regurgitation..."

And you mean to tell me the typical radio format basics today are anything NEW?? You really need to listen to airchecks from 1968 and airchecks from 2008 and you'll be in for a shock. The structure is exactly the same, only difference? The music isn't very exciting - happens when you hear the same songs a zillion times over. And the personality factor. Much of that is gone, thanks to voicetracking, needless cutbacks and downsizing. Face it, radio is ANYTHING but cutting edge now. And with "the increasing amount of consumer options and technology here in the 21st century", I don't exactly see a radio revolution happening right now.

Do the rest of you?

The trouble with radio is, let's be honest, the minds in charge DON'T want it to change. I guess that comes when you're using a 110 year old technology in a high-tech digital world. Change is really scary. But what's even scarier is what happens when you don't. But the writing on the wall with radio was written in 1998.

And yes, there WAS change back then. But in all the WRONG ways. You had locally beloved independent stations, (low rated maybe, but still beloved), that got bought up and destroyed by the corporate bigwigs. You had legendary and very popular personalities that were that were thrown out of the only careers they have ever known not because of low ratings, but to cut overall costs and trust me, when one corporation can own the entire commerical radio market in one city (think Bellingham, Mount Vernon and several others), finding a new gig across town is impossible now.

Long time listeners naturally got upset with this and thus the rise of satellite, LPFM, internet, those lovable Part 15 Bic lighters and even outright pirates. And as a result of losing the very things that endeared them to radio, they began going elsewhere.

Now you're telling me that radio is up and coming and out to capture a new generation of listeners? I have news for you: Most young people today weren't even raised with a radio playing in the house! They object to hearing the sound of DJs. They will not sit through a spot break. Because they are not used to them and there is no reason whatsoever to expect them to learn how.

Not when their music can be custom programmed by them, selected by them, WITHOUT hearing advertising or any kind of interruptions (which they HATE.) The alternative/grunge/Generation X people (whatever you call them) of the '90s are now parents themselves. They grew up disliking commercial radio for the most part and with all the radio alternatives (which is all many of them have ever known), it's no wonder we have so many young people now who are turned off by radio.

And one more thing, do you think it might be possible that if Telecom '96 never happened, radio today would be in much better shape and technologies such as satellite radio and internet radio would be far less popular than they are now (or as necessary?) I think so. And oh yeah, the iPod. Well, in the '80s, we had the Walkman and the radio industry didn't complain about them taking away listeners, did they? So all the blame still comes back to the radio stations.

My wife pointed something out I mentioned in another post: Why does radio insist on pandering to a generation that doesn't need it? The fact is, radio IS dying, killed by greed and corruption of the very system that kept it alive for a century beforehand. A NEW generation has grown up not trusting, liking or even in many cases, even LISTENING to the radio. They have the torch now, but it's not a 50,000 watt FM blowtorch signal that can barely even make it into Mount Vernon or much farther south of Olympia these days. It's a signal that can be heard around the world with ease, playing just what THEY want. Not just what JACK wants. So why disregard and discount radio's last few vanguards. You'll never make radio as popular as it was in 1982 again this way any more than you can by bringing back KYYX. But I'll say this much, at the rate things are going, you just may need those old KYYX listeners when you find out this strategy is backfiring disasterously. So I wouldn't be too quick to write off the Boomers just yet.

This new generation radio is after doesn't have as much money as you think and even if they did, as you know, they got other places to get the inside scoop on the where to go, the what to buy, etc. You need visuals to get their attention - they're used to it. Just aurally selling something is irritating to them. And I always felt their pain myself.

AQH said:
In closing, yes, there is some bad programming out there (some very good programming too, albeit in the minority). To just go in a blanket fashion to blame everything on "The Man" is just disingenuous and comes over more as a personal vendetta than a true display of today's radio reality.

I hope that answers your questions, Larry.

And I hope I shed some light on what is REALLY going on outside the office. I know the reality of today's radio because I LISTEN to it. And about half the people I know (and growing) DON'T. I see and understand their reasons. They expect things commercial radio cannot provide. So all in all, video didn't kill the radio star, it committed suicide.

Comment re. AQH/BWater squabble issue....

Isn't the issue not so much about PROGRAMMING...but about INVESTMENT? Radio, in general, not sucking because of inability to play music people want ... to deliver the info people want ... to hire the talent people want ..... but because the purse strings get yanked tighter and tighter every eight minutes, and you can't REALLY have flexibility to solve the above issues (with exception of decent music via the bird) without actually SPENDING on your radio station a little bit?

In that respect the "good old days" weren't THAT much different....but the equation changed with the expectation that year-over-year MUST show "x%" increase. When you can't get there from the revenue side, the bottom line can only change by adjusting expenses. When you trim what you invest in the product, the product suffers, the product suffers and the audience goes away...the audience goes away then so do the advertisers...then you have to deliver a year-over-year improvement the next year so you cut some more .... rinse lather repeat.

How does that relate? On the music formats it means making it INTERESTING with talent that has a presence and is interesting. Chances are the people working for $10/hour aren't the best candidates to deliver interesting...but it IS possible to deliver decent, interesting talent when tracked. Live vs. track not so much the issue as "talent vs. boring" --- and that is not always the fault of the talent! I stopped listening to radio not because the talent isn't any good...they just aren't DELIVERING anything because I know most of them are not allowed to. "Coming up...a 20 minute Wang Chung marathon" followed by a reminder that I can win a contest in the next 5 hours is not that compelling. Anyone remember when talent used to be TOPICAL and ENGAGING?

With the talk product, it would be interesting if the subjects weren't so sophomoric and predictable. Seems to be about inspiring polarization. I wouldn't care if another person "countered" my vote with an inspired, informed opinion....but makes my blood curl to think they are wiping out my vote because Carlson, Rush, Dori, etc. TOLD THEM TO.

With the news product, hard to run a decent newsroom when your only source is A/P wire. A decent news station takes an investment in resources that is hard to justify ... except through the intangible return of "we're doing it right". Newspapers are on the same playing field...they also have to meet some profit standards, so they cut back too.

No one would actually BUY a product if it were substandard. Buy a software "Office Suite" but it doesn't print ..... not very useful and won't command your respect. So a radio station that can't be compelling to listen to is different ..... HOW??

Grindlfan said:
Boy, who'd have thought we'd have a larger wind bag than Ike this week? AQH regains the title.

HAHAHAHAHA! Now that's funny. Did you get that line from your focus group too?

Bongwater said:
OK, but blaming the very technology that allows us to have this nice conversation is the biggest cop out of all. The internet HAS changed everything and from what you just wrote, deep down inside, I think you got some festering issues with that. From the sound of it, it seems like you've just about given up all hope. Welcome to the club. The first beer's on me.

And therein is the flaw in your thinking, both in terms of what I said and as it pertains to radio. I don't have any "festering issues" with it. I think the internet has been a boon for radio, from a wide range of things from jock show prep (the few jocks that do it) to communicating with your listeners.

What you took out of context is my point that people have many other choices in music, including the internet. Radio stumbled big time on this, ranging from Mel Karmazin's hellbent ways regarding the internet to radio just starting to realize what the internet can do for a radio station. Radio is getting better, but its understanding is at the adolescent stage, at best.

The biggest morons in using the internet are the record folks, they got it worse than radio.

AQH said:

Bongwater said:
Ummm....do you know many teenagers? Young adults in college? Where do they get their music?

Yes, most of them still say it's radio.

Bongwater said:
Who influences their music choices? With the exception of college/public alternative stations like KEXP, KGRG, KUGS and others, it's mostly the internet, Sirius XM, Music Choice, MTV's digital channels, etc. these days.

What? The INTERNET you say? Isn't that what I said?!

I would ask you to back those assertions up with numbers, but I know you don't have them. But nice job in recalling all the options out there.

By the way, it ain't satellite radio, look at their miserable subscription numbers. And when you do, look at how they define a "subscriber."

Bongwater said:
Radio is an old people's medium to them and they started thinking that way by the end of the '90s. Radio today is, a whole decade later, now trying to play catch-up. But it's still a decade too late. And not very much has changed at all since 1998. You now have HD Radio. GREAT! Now USE IT! Make it WORTH SOMETHING! What? You mean corporate management won't let you because they've cut back on everything? Or because you've simply hit the wall and cannot think outside of the box of a way of fixing it? Well, don't blame the internet or the kids for that. And I'm not blaming the "The Man", I'm blaming the suck up industry lobbyists that created Telecom '96 and radio industry people stuck in patterns that don't relate to today's young listener. They are VERY demanding. Back in the day, we took whatever we could get. Today, they can be choosy mothers with the cornacopia of delivery methods we never even dreamed of back then.

Cripes....you go from HD to blaming Telecom '96 in one paragraph. Let me know when you make a lucid point and I'll respond.

AQH said:

Bongwater said:
The radio industry does not make cars. If it did, the streets would be choked with corpses. Because nothing is working right, right now. Second, when they started remaking Camaros and Mustangs, gas wasn't $4 a gallon. But the writing was on the wall. However, if they had the fortitude to make a hybrid muscle car, combining the best of today's technology with the panache of the classics, they'd be up to here in orders.

You say that my point about the Camaros and Mustangs and comparing it to hybrids is invalid, yet your answer is to combine them? Huh?

Bongwater said:
And you mean to tell me the typical radio format basics today are anything NEW?? You really need to listen to airchecks from 1968 and airchecks from 2008 and you'll be in for a shock. The structure is exactly the same, only difference? The music isn't very exciting - happens when you hear the same songs a zillion times over. And the personality factor. Much of that is gone, thanks to voicetracking, needless cutbacks and downsizing. Face it, radio is ANYTHING but cutting edge now. And with "the increasing amount of consumer options and technology here in the 21st century", I don't exactly see a radio revolution happening right now.

Again Larry, you fail to embrace what's happening TODAY. In 1968, there wasn't any diverse musical tastes back then, it was basically Top 40 then or going back to Jimmy Dorsey and Glenn Miller.

If you have something "cutting edge" to do, then go out there and make some money off of it. You seem to have a lot of answers on this board, why don't you go out there and do something about it? Prove everyone in radio wrong....go out and do it.

Bongwater said:
And yes, there WAS change back then. But in all the WRONG ways. You had locally beloved independent stations, (low rated maybe, but still beloved), that got bought up and destroyed by the corporate bigwigs. You had legendary and very popular personalities that were that were thrown out of the only careers they have ever known not because of low ratings, but to cut overall costs and trust me, when one corporation can own the entire commerical radio market in one city (think Bellingham, Mount Vernon and several others), finding a new gig across town is impossible now.

Long time listeners naturally got upset with this and thus the rise of satellite, LPFM, internet, those lovable Part 15 Bic lighters and even outright pirates. And as a result of losing the very things that endeared them to radio, they began going elsewhere.

Now you're telling me that radio is up and coming and out to capture a new generation of listeners? I have news for you: Most young people today weren't even raised with a radio playing in the house! They object to hearing the sound of DJs. They will not sit through a spot break. Because they are not used to them and there is no reason whatsoever to expect them to learn how.

Not when their music can be custom programmed by them, selected by them, WITHOUT hearing advertising or any kind of interruptions (which they HATE.) The alternative/grunge/Generation X people (whatever you call them) of the '90s are now parents themselves. They grew up disliking commercial radio for the most part and with all the radio alternatives (which is all many of them have ever known), it's no wonder we have so many young people now who are turned off by radio.

And one more thing, do you think it might be possible that if Telecom '96 never happened, radio today would be in much better shape and technologies such as satellite radio and internet radio would be far less popular than they are now (or as necessary?) I think so. And oh yeah, the iPod. Well, in the '80s, we had the Walkman and the radio industry didn't complain about them taking away listeners, did they? So all the blame still comes back to the radio stations.

My wife pointed something out I mentioned in another post: Why does radio insist on pandering to a generation that doesn't need it? The fact is, radio IS dying, killed by greed and corruption of the very system that kept it alive for a century beforehand. A NEW generation has grown up not trusting, liking or even in many cases, even LISTENING to the radio. They have the torch now, but it's not a 50,000 watt FM blowtorch signal that can barely even make it into Mount Vernon or much farther south of Olympia these days. It's a signal that can be heard around the world with ease, playing just what THEY want. Not just what JACK wants. So why disregard and discount radio's last few vanguards. You'll never make radio as popular as it was in 1982 again this way any more than you can by bringing back KYYX. But I'll say this much, at the rate things are going, you just may need those old KYYX listeners when you find out this strategy is backfiring disasterously. So I wouldn't be too quick to write off the Boomers just yet.

This new generation radio is after doesn't have as much money as you think and even if they did, as you know, they got other places to get the inside scoop on the where to go, the what to buy, etc. You need visuals to get their attention - they're used to it. Just aurally selling something is irritating to them. And I always felt their pain myself.

Larry, stop blaming the big corporations for all that's wrong. Yes, groups like Clear Channel and CBS have made some questionable calls. But just because people don't have the same taste in music as you do, don't just paint the picture with a bigger brush than you can handle.

Have you ever thought that some people, even back in the 1990s, just want to hear familiar music, something that they know? If the underground stations would be so popular, stations like KEXP and KNHC wouldn't be asking for money between each record.

Bongwater said:
And I hope I shed some light on what is REALLY going on outside the office. I know the reality of today's radio because I LISTEN to it. And about half the people I know (and growing) DON'T. I see and understand their reasons. They expect things commercial radio cannot provide. So all in all, video didn't kill the radio star, it committed suicide.

Nice melodramatics there. Given the mentality you display on this board, I sincerely doubt you'd hang around the Star 101.5 or KUBE crowd anyway.

Spare me the "I listen to today's radio" thing. You would have to Google information if I asked you questions about radio programming in Seattle. Not to mention, I asked you in another thread what you meant about comments you made about KUBE, and you conveniently swept that under the rug.

Radio, and its technology have steamrolled you, Larry. You're still stuck listening to 1968 airchecks, doing your bongwater thing and complaining about The Man while radio has passed you.

If you do have brilliant ideas on how to fix radio, why don't you go to the General Managers in town and present your ideas? You can make a ton of money I'm sure.

"If you do have brilliant ideas on how to fix radio, why don't you go to the General Managers in town and present your ideas? You can make a ton of money I'm sure...."

Of course I will present my ideas to them.....when they unquestioningly FIRST sign a contract with me agreeing to the following (all terms non-negotiable):

I am guaranteed the following:

1. No interference whatsoever from any level of Management, Local, Regional or Corporate. No management interference whatsoever will be tolerated against My Jocks, Sales Staff, Engineers and Producers, as ONLY I shall enjoy such discretion. All levels of Corporate Management shall refer to each of My Staff members off the air as "O Mighty One" and Myself as "Your Most Supreme Being".

2. An absolutely unlimited station budget, with ALL financing requests from promotion to contests and salaries. With a $5,000,000 minimum yearly salary for Myself and a minimum of $3,000,000 yearly salaries for ALL My Jocks (Genius isn't cheap you know), met and paid immediatally without reservation or negotiation.

3. Absolute control over all My hiring. All Jocks shall enjoy the privledge of musically programming their own shows with every song in the station format, which shall be no less than 1,000,000 songs at their disposal.

4. A swank office with all of the very best resources and luxuries available to Me at all times.

5. ALL the very best Corporate perks afforded to the Corporate CEO shall be afforded for Me AND ALL My Staff as well. The Corporate CEO Him/Herself shall only remain a Very Minor concern.

6. A Major Seattle FM frequency with HD. I will also expect the Corporation to lobby extensively with the Governments of the United States and Canada to create a minimum of a 500,000 watt signal for My Station based on a transmitter/antenna site High atop Mount Rainier. If in the event the volcanic Mount Rainier should erupt, the Station shall enjoy the right to switch to it's similarly powered Backup Transmitter with Antenna of Similar Height on Mount Constitution on Orcas Island. A back up studio facility similar to the Main Studio facilities mentioned below shall also be constructed at this site. My Station, as The World's Best is worthy of nothing less. The Corporation shall also effectively settle with NIMBY's and political disputes at the expense of the Corporation prior to this Contract taking effect.

7. Seperate studios for the LIVE and LOCAL formats I will also be programming on the HD-2/3 channels of which will also be staffed by seperate Jocks from the main sSgnal. These Jocks salaries shall be eqivalent to the Main signal's jocks as well and they shall be entitled to the same privledges at the expense of the Corporation. All studios shall be spacious and ALWAYS lavishly furnished with the most state of the art broadcasting equipment available and the most comfortable accomodations possible to My Airstaff. All of my Airstaff shall enjoy the benefits of professional Swedish massage during their airshifts.

8. This Station shall enjoy the right of being the most Prominent station in the entire national chain, above all others

9. This Contract will be in effect for a maximum of three years of the Date of Signing.

10. The studios and Station Facilities shall be seperate from others in the cluster, as their facilities are simply unworthy of My standards for My Staff. The building designs I will submit will feature lavish spas and gardens, including the finest imported air circulating throughout the building at all times. Several off-air recreational facilities shall be provided for the Comfort and Entertainment of My Staff, Including fountains, swimming pools, saunas, gyms and a luxurious gourmet dining facility on site. All at Corporate expense

12. All amenities mentioned herein shall also be afforded to My Sales Staff, Producers, Traffic Reporters, News Anchors, Sports Anchor, Receptionists and Engineers equally and On Demand at Corporate expense whenever They ask for it.

13. The Corporation shall pay for all medical and dental needs of My Staff, plus provide a secured and guaranteed retirement income that will keep Them secure in the lifestyles They will be accustomed to.

14. If at any time in the three years of of the signing of this Contract is in effect should the Corporation decide to violate, ignore, cancel or null it or any portion thereof in any way and for ANY reason WHATSOEVER, a miniumum severence penalty of $500,000,000 shall be paid and due immediatally to me and each person whom I have hired at the time of cancellation.

You see, I'm not asking for much really. You're gonna get the best talent, the best format, the very best of everything. And so will the listeners. So how 'bout it Clear Channel?, CBS?, Entercom?, Sandusky?

This ain't "flawed thinking", just simple REALISTIC requests worthy of MY OWN sheer unadulterated radio genius....and only as REALISTIC as AQH would THINK I'd have it.

Any other clauses or addendums I should add to this? C'mon all you radio people, this one's for YOU!

Get a life, AQH. I'm not THAT dumb.

'Nuff said.......

Bongwater said:
Get a life, AQH. I'm not THAT dumb.

Your response was predictable.

You can't answer the bell when challenged, but you sure knows what radio needs when it comes to an IBB.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom