Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Profit for Stations

Moderator/Co-Administrator

Re: Profit for Stations

Quote Originally Posted by tcsnrayp
    The thread brings up an interesting query: just how much DO successful stations bill annually? Anyone care to offer expert guesses? I would be most interested in a market in the 86 to 90 market size range.
    In the 80 to 90 size market, a few of the metros are in the shadow of larger ones, like Monterrey Salinas or Daytona Beach... there, the better stations do $1 to $2 million. But the stand-alone markets like Little Rock, Syracuse or Baton Rouge will have a station or two in the $4 to $5 million range, and a number in the $1.5 to $3 million range.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

I agree... stations in markets that are close to (and largely covered by) a larger market will tend to under-bill their market size. I've also noticed that markets that are anchored by a state capital and/or a large university tend to over-bill their market size (e.g., Columbus, Madison, Austin, Nashville, Baton Rouge). It also helps if the market has a historically dominant station which sticks to its rates which generally means better rates for all in the market. Historically, southern markets have done better than northern markets.... all things being equal... although the recent housing problems that have beset markets like Phoenix and Southern Florida have been somewhat of an equalizer. Finally, the number of stations in a market will affect profitability. Stations in under-radio'ed markets like Atlanta, Indianapolis, and Columbus will tend to do better because the jackpot just naturally gets whacked up into less pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by SonoSational18

Historically, southern markets have done better than northern markets.... all things being equal... although the recent housing problems that have beset markets like Phoenix and Southern Florida have been somewhat of an equalizer.
    Can you point me to documentation on this? I am not prepared to support or contest your claim.

In my somewhat dated experience out on the streets, I would have said Northern markets do better. In thinking about that, I am comparing Rustbelt markets, including SMALL markets, against Dixie markets. I guess if you look at Maine and Idaho markets compared to Southern California and Phoenix markets, the "southern" markets win.
    Life is too short to waste time dancing with ugly posts

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12