• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Slocum Leaving End of September

KMan

Star Participant
This probably deserves its own thread ... so...

Posted on 8/26 on
http://ericslocum.typepad.com/ericslocum/

Slocum announces he's leaving KOMO to focus on writing.

This is going to be a big loss for KOMO 1000, should they decide to stay w/ the all news format.

As I posted a few months ago in a Best News Talent thread, I thought Eric was awful in the mornings with Manda when he first started. He was about a year removed from being bumped off TV weekends due to budget cuts (or something), and I thought, geez, did they hire him for this gig solely for name recognition? Because he's a TV guy, and it shows. He was ploddingly slow, and Manda was radio rapid fire. It just didn't work.

But after the move to afternoons, first with Pamela McCall, and now with Lisa, Slocum turned into a real great news anchor. He's got the right pacing and a good voice. As many on this board posted a few months ago, Brooks + Slocum has developed into KOMO's best pairing. And as Eric posted in his farewell letter, he's truly in love with radio. I think as listeners, we've all known that for the last 3-4 years. It shows. And he'll be missed.

This thread does bring up an interesting point about anchor chemistry. I agree Slocum and Brooks work well together and sound genuine. Factor and Yeend are friendly, but not overly interesting. The worst has to be Hersholt and Shannon who have 0.0 chemistry and make the KIRO morning show sound unnecessarily harsh and stilted. Anybody remember Rick VanCise and Linda Thomas as a team on KIRO and KOMO? My pick as best team.

Good for Eric. He's one of the best over at the Palace and I'm so glad he's exiting on his own terms.

Or put another way - he's smartly jumping off the Titanic before it starts sinking in October.

Eric is a class guy and deserves only the best... which means getting out of that place. As for the KIRO morning show: is it a lack of chemistry or just the way Jane sounds? When she's not shouting the news the only thing she adds is a bunch of phony laughter. There's no there there. :-\

345palm said:
As for the KIRO morning show: is it a lack of chemistry or just the way Jane sounds? When she's not shouting the news the only thing she adds is a bunch of phony laughter. There's no there there. :-\

Agreed, she seems to be more of a deficit to the show. I think Hersholt is a solid news anchor and is often witty, but his humor can fall flat because Jane's reaction is either not there at all or is oddly inappropriate.

Who will fill his shoes at KOMO? It'll take a great talent. Will they move Bill Rice from midday? Will Art Sanders be promoted? Or will Herb Weisbaum leave TV? He sounds great with Lisa.

What other guy could handle the job?

Gary would be really good. I believe he's better know a Gary Shannon of the mid to early 70's fame on KJR, and then Rhett Walker in the Southern US. I think Herb is wrapped into TV 4, but would be excellent, or Art Sanders.

Have to go with the sinking ship explaination. I like 1000, but will listeners stick without the Mariners driving cume?????

We now know who's replacing Eric...

Well the horse race is over - and the new PM Drive anchor at KOMO is - BRIAN CALVERT!!! BC starts 9/29.

In another surprising move, Dennis Kelly is returning to the front lines as "acting" News Director.

KMan said:
This probably deserves its own thread ... so...

Posted on 8/26 on
http://ericslocum.typepad.com/ericslocum/

Slocum announces he's leaving KOMO to focus on writing.

This is going to be a big loss for KOMO 1000, should they decide to stay w/ the all news format.

As I posted a few months ago in a Best News Talent thread, I thought Eric was awful in the mornings with Manda when he first started. He was about a year removed from being bumped off TV weekends due to budget cuts (or something), and I thought, geez, did they hire him for this gig solely for name recognition? Because he's a TV guy, and it shows. He was ploddingly slow, and Manda was radio rapid fire. It just didn't work.

But after the move to afternoons, first with Pamela McCall, and now with Lisa, Slocum turned into a real great news anchor. He's got the right pacing and a good voice. As many on this board posted a few months ago, Brooks + Slocum has developed into KOMO's best pairing. And as Eric posted in his farewell letter, he's truly in love with radio. I think as listeners, we've all known that for the last 3-4 years. It shows. And he'll be missed.

Granted, Eric was slow at first, but once he got the hang of it again, the dude just simply ROCKED.

It ain't that easy getting out of TV and back on radio. In TV, looks are EVERYTHING, in radio, it's how good you SOUND.

Eric did BOTH with nothing but style to spare in the end of BOTH.....

About a year ago, I asked some people at a party who was the coolest radio news guy they ever heard was. Some were like "Huh?", but right off the bat, most said "Eric Slocum!".

The COOL people are all gonna miss you Eric. You're hip and if KISW/KNDD are ever looking for a more righteous news voice when you come back to radio, they simply CAN'T do any better.....

Cheers!

Re: We now know who's replacing Eric...

SeattleRadioPro said:
Well the horse race is over - and the new PM Drive anchor at KOMO is - BRIAN CALVERT!!! BC starts 9/29.

In another surprising move, Dennis Kelly is returning to the front lines as "acting" News Director.

Well that came out of left field...

I'm not sure I like BC as an anchor. He was a great reporter and writer - some of the feature stories he used to do were amazing. And he was versatile enough to cover city hall, a car crash, or a burning building without missing a beat.

But as an anchor, he just doesn't quite have the voice I'd like to listen to. I've heard him fill in for Yeend in the mornings over the years, and it just doesn't do much for me.

With a roster of candidates to replace Slocum including Bill Rice (what's he gonna do - his midday slot is being eliminated), Art Sanders, Gary Burleigh, Herb Weissbaum and Tom Hutlyer, I think BC is going to have a hard time filling Slocum's shoes.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom