• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Muzak

I guess I don't quite get that. Yes, I don't mind something unusual in the store, and I've been known to Soundhound a song, but the purpose of music in the store isn't for music geeks to spend hours walking around the store listening to music and not buying anything. It's to drive sales, either getting people in and out or subliminally getting the stay at home Mom thinking about buying a steak for her man.

Jim Scott, now retired from WLW, was the voice of Kroger in commercials and in the stores in the Cincinnati area, but not in East Tennessee.
This all started with my saying we went in a restaurant and I expect the music to be pleasant there. The first song was not and I left.

I've posted about this before. My aunt wanted us to sit in a nice quiet place in a restaurant away from so many people. But the music (Sirius/XM The Blend, but before recent changes) was getting worse and worse and finally, I couldn't stand it any more and we had to take our food with us. I wouldn't have been bothered if we had been around lots of people because they would have drowned out the "music". That's what I had to do when I ate Thanksgiving dinner number one. Only when I was around a lot of people did the music not bother me.

This all started with my saying we went in a restaurant and I expect the music to be pleasant there. The first song was not and I left.

I've posted about this before. My aunt wanted us to sit in a nice quiet place in a restaurant away from so many people. But the music (Sirius/XM The Blend, but before recent changes) was getting worse and worse and finally, I couldn't stand it any more and we had to take our food with us. I wouldn't have been bothered if we had been around lots of people because they would have drowned out the "music". That's what I had to do when I ate Thanksgiving dinner number one. Only when I was around a lot of people did the music not bother me.
I have no idea what DirecTV is getting their music from them, but the Display name has not changed (Ours currently reads "MC Sounds Of The Season") Multi Channel maybe?....will have to look more into this.

I have no idea what DirecTV is getting their music from them, but the Display name has not changed (Ours currently reads "MC Sounds Of The Season") Multi Channel maybe?....will have to look more into this.
Comcast and some other providers used to carry DMX Music before that became part of Mood Media (Mood has DMX, AEI, Muzak, Trusonic, Mood Music and a few other companies/services under its umbrella). The MC that you see/hear providing music channels to DirectTV is Music Choice. That's a different company altogether, and Music Choice provides music channels to several carriers including Comcast/XFinity, Cox, Spectrum and as you mentioned, Direct TV.

Used to be Sonic Tap (a.k.a. rebadged DMX). When did they start simulcasting Music Choice?

Admittedly Direct-TV DSS is a completely foreign world to me. I haven't played with it in probably close to 15 years if not longer.

As of the beginning of March 2022, Mood Media/Muzak's FM-1 channel has eliminated all 1970s music from their playlist, except if you count Kenny Loggins' "This Is It", which was released in late 1979 but didn't reach its chart peak until 1980.

FM-1 dropped all remaining 1960s music (a handful of cuts from 1969 like "Sweet Caroline") in 2018.

And like oldradiotapes has said, their playlist is a lot tighter now than it was 10 years ago. Gone are most of the independent acts and songs that used to be on that format (Greg Laswell, Liam Finn, Jamie Cullum, etc.)
Meanwhile, I am continuing to enjoy his collection of AEI Propac tapes that have been posted to Archive. My favorites are probably the Timeless Pop compilations from the early '90s - lots of great, underrated music from the '60s to early '90s. It's also cool to hear the Special Programs targeted to various store chains, like Red Lobster and Gap. None (surprisingly) with announcements about specials or sales in-store.

Meanwhile, I am continuing to enjoy his collection of AEI Propac tapes that have been posted to Archive. My favorites are probably the Timeless Pop compilations from the early '90s - lots of great, underrated music from the '60s to early '90s. It's also cool to hear the Special Programs targeted to various store chains, like Red Lobster and Gap. None (surprisingly) with announcements about specials or sales in-store.
K&W cafeterias used to have a sign on the door saying "AEI" to assure us the music had been paid for.

I go in there now and have to find a place to sit where I won't be annoyed by the music.

When I complained to someone I was told they had gotten lots of compliments since the music changed. I wonder if there's a recording of AEI's music?

Lately I hardly hear any music playing in restaurants. I guess when they were forced to close due to COVID lockdowns they cancelled their subscriptions, and even after reopening didn't see the need to resume paying for it. So now when the place is empty it seems even more dead, and when there are people in nearby tables, there's nothing to drown out their conversation so you're able to hear everything they're saying (and they can hear everything you're saying).

Lately I hardly hear any music playing in restaurants. I guess when they were forced to close due to COVID lockdowns they cancelled their subscriptions, and even after reopening didn't see the need to resume paying for it. So now when the place is empty it seems even more dead, and when there are people in nearby tables, there's nothing to drown out their conversation so you're able to hear everything they're saying (and they can hear everything you're saying).
I'd rather not have that noise. But I haven't been inside a restaurant in a while that had music. "Popeyes" when they would let me in had New Orleans style jazz.

When I complained to someone I was told they had gotten lots of compliments since the music changed. I wonder if there's a recording of AEI's music?

Eh, I would imagine by now there must be one or two out there.... somewhere. Somebody's got to be collecting them. You just never know.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom