• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KILT ? from an out of market radio buyer

realradioplayer

Inactive
Inactive User
I am trying to add a country station to a radio buy. The one country station I approached is Sold Out, so I found KILT. On the Radio.net calls them The NEW 100.3 KILT .... but their website says they have been programming country music for 3 decades. What's the story with KILT. Any recommendations for a country station to reach females 25-44?

KILT is a legendary radio station in Houston. It was once the top 40 station of the sixties and switched to country decades ago. They remain in the Top 10 most listened to radio stations in Houston and are in a battle with the other country station 93Q. KILT seems to be more established and more family oriented. They do well within the demo your looking for. Good luck!

Unless the entire brain-trust at CBS Radio goes brain-dead, I wouldn't waste my time trying to buy KILT.

KILT is always at or near the top of Houston's ratings. It's one of CBS's biggest and best money makers, and I don't think they would be interested in selling.

Unless of course you make them an offer they'd be idiots to turn down, and that sort of offer would have to be way up there in the high eight figure zone. Considering how much money KILT makes, a nine figure sale price isn't out of the question.

Good luck.

Uh, maybe you misunderstood the question.

realradioplayer said:
I am trying to add a country station to a radio buy.

Oops. Silly me.

Thanks for waking me up JD. I was clearly on another wavelink, and didn't understand what he wants.

Radio girl said:
Are interested in communities outside of Harris County?

I'd go look at the coverage map of KILT again. :)

Thanks for answering my question about the stations heritage position in the marketplace. KILT provided quick and accurate information and will be a part of this campaign .

iused2bsomebody said:
KILT is a legendary radio station in Houston. It was once the top 40 station of the sixties and switched to country decades ago. They remain in the Top 10 most listened to radio stations in Houston and are in a battle with the other country station 93Q. KILT seems to be more established and more family oriented. They do well within the demo your looking for. Good luck!

KILT AM (610) was the Top40...KILT FM was AOR album rock (FM100) until AFTER 610 went country and then the FM followed suit (and this was all in the early 80s).....Stevens and Pruett were the last top40 H&H on KILT iirc....then it went country after they moved over to 790 KULF as S&P...then they left 4-5 years later after Gannett bought 790 and changed it to 79Q with Landis and company; the Q Morning Zoo....In the meantime, Dickie Rosenfield flipped KILT AM to county...and about a year later the FM flipped and went simulcast I think for a time.....KILT FM was never a top40 station nor is it a heritage station...KILT AM is but alas is now reduced to a sports station.

KILT-FM went country before 610 KILT. The change on 610 was actually evolved over a couple of months by adding some country music to the playlist before taking the station totally country. During that time Joe Sasso came over from 96.5 KAUM and did the H&H routine with Beau Weaver. Beau would give a more accurate assessment of the change. More changes took place to the H&H team. Fred Kennedy (Fred Olson) became Harrigan to one of them. Then for a short time Fred was BOTH Hudson & Harrigan. Eventually Randy Haymes joined and became Harrigan to Fred's Mac Hudson, which remained until this day.

Thanks for the correction Chuck...I guess Im showing my age (hey Im still under 50!!) but I could have sworn the AM went country before the FM did.........but that was back in the early 80s!!! Ive slept too much since then (or not enough ;)

That's okay. I mispelled randy's last name. It's Hames not Haymes. The 1st morning of the switch from AOR to Country, the DJ on the air referred to himself as "Buck Nekkid." I guess he thought it was a good sounding country DJ name. Dickie didn't think so. I do not know who did this as I don't remember the name. But it was funny, as it was told to me by one of those at that time concerning KILT lore.

CW said:
iused2bsomebody said:

KILT AM (610) was the Top40...KILT FM was AOR album rock (FM100) until AFTER 610 went country and then the FM followed suit (and this was all in the early 80s).....Stevens and Pruett were the last top40 H&H on KILT iirc....then it went country after they moved over to 790 KULF as S&P...then they left 4-5 years later after Gannett bought 790 and changed it to 79Q with Landis and company; the Q Morning Zoo....In the meantime, Dickie Rosenfield flipped KILT AM to county...and about a year later the FM flipped and went simulcast I think for a time.....KILT FM was never a top40 station nor is it a heritage station...KILT AM is but alas is now reduced to a sports station.

I have to say this of Houston's 610: their sound is consistently good day and night (unlike another station 130 kilohertz up the dial).

In a perfect world KILT-AM would be Houston's Oldies Station. Period. ;D

ColonelStJames said:
Hey!

Sports Talk RULES, CW!! And don't you ever forget it!

Ok Colonel....I wont forg......Huh???....ahhhh....what???????

Dont forget...........what???

I forgot! :)

Michaelshiloh,
Unrelated to your latest post: I saw one of your posts from November mentioning that you had worked w/Tom Tynan. Curious about something - I think he's married to a Houston news anchor. But I can't remember who that is to save my life. Who is it? Do you know? Thanks, rogerfromhouston

rogerfromhouston said:
Michaelshiloh,
Unrelated to your latest post: I saw one of your posts from November mentioning that you had worked w/Tom Tynan. Curious about something - I think he's married to a Houston news anchor. But I can't remember who that is to save my life. Who is it? Do you know? Thanks, rogerfromhouston

Tynan is married to Sandra Gin, formerly of KHOU.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom